News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Standard for colors (wavelength/tinting) for traffic lights?

Started by Dustin DeWinn, October 06, 2018, 09:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin DeWinn

I looked but don't see anything that addresses this, but I'm obviously missing it.

What is the standard (if any) for the wavelength or color of for the red, yellow, green on traffic lights? Is there a range of acceptable reds, or is a specification that must be met?

Thanks

ErmineNotyours

There must be, because it took a while in the start of the LED era to get an acceptable green light.  Guidelines assumed the light source would be yellowish incandescent, so red and yellow came along before a LED green.  I know the walk signal must be "astronaut white," which worked great with early white LEDs.

kalvado

Those are not wavelength standards, those are color standards. There are a few, and there was some discussion here, in your previous thread:
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=21071.0
I still suggest as I did previously that you do read Wiki about colors and how they are defined.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on October 06, 2018, 11:00:49 PM
There must be, because it took a while in the start of the LED era to get an acceptable green light.  Guidelines assumed the light source would be yellowish incandescent, so red and yellow came along before a LED green.  I know the walk signal must be "astronaut white," which worked great with early white LEDs.

I know that early green LEDs were a lime green, which was the wrong shade of green for traffic signals.

Also, "Lunar White" was never standardized prior to the LED era for walk signals.  While it was in use by some cities by placing a light blue filter over the incandescent light source; this was not universally applied.  Since early white LEDs were that shade, it became the standard color for walk signals.

traffic light guy

No clue, anyone notice how older GE red LEDs appear orange, not too friendly for the colorblind folk

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.