Old hand-painted "TO BRIDGE" signs in Louisville

Started by bandit957, December 17, 2018, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else know what I'm talking about, or if these are still around?

Back in 2004, I saw some of these on the west side of Louisville. They clearly referred to the K&I Bridge, which hadn't been open in decades. I think they just said "TO BRIDGE" though there might have been a reference to US 150 somewhere. Maybe US 31W too, but that was a long, long, long time ago that US 31W used that bridge.

I don't think I have pictures, because digital photography wasn't that advanced yet.

I like western Louisville, but I haven't really explored it since then, and I barely did even then. Anyone know exactly where these signs were?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jnewkirk77

I remember them. All they said was "TO BRIDGE" with a long arrow below. There are pics floating around the interwebs somewhere. I'll see if I can find one.

hbelkins

I have a vague recollection of them, although I have not wandered too far off the beaten path in that section of Louisville, for good reason. I actually crossed the K&I Bridge in a car in my youth, back when it still carried US 31W. I don't remember if it also carried 150 or 460,or both.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

I don't think I have any photos of these signs from my 2004 trip, though I guess it's remotely possible. I had limited photo space then, so probably not.

From the description and photos of the K&I Bridge I've seen, I actually have a faint memory of being on a bridge like this when I was very young (maybe 5). I also vaguely remember being on the current US 31 bridge and someone mentioning Muhammad Ali throwing his Olympic medal into the river from the bridge.

Apparently, US 150 used the K&I Bridge until the bridge closed. It probably dropped US 31W in the 1960s or 1970s. I have seen maps showing US 460 using the current US 31 bridge.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

jnewkirk77

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mapmikey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.