News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Marion Co. TN: US 41/64/72 Damaged by Slump Btwn Haletown & Kelly's Ferry

Started by Brian556, December 30, 2018, 07:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

This is just west of Chattanooga. Saw a post about it on FB. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2241660516158274&set=a.1394160460908288&type=3&theater

Both lanes have slumped down toward the river. Facebook users say it dropped up to 2 ft. This was posted yesterday. I just checked today, and TDOT does not show it closed, though I don't see how it could be open. However, this area has been having problems like this forever, and they will leave the road open even if there is a danger of collapse. One time I drove this section, and the shoulder had dropped 10in, and there weren't even any cones around it, so apparently TDOT has pretty low standards of safety.

wriddle082

There may be a truck climbing lane in this area if it's on a grade.  IIRC there is one going up either side of that mountain.  If that's the case then they would use that extra lane to ensure at least one lane open in each direction, unless it gets worse.

Brian556

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 31, 2018, 09:48:53 PM
There may be a truck climbing lane in this area if it’s on a grade.  IIRC there is one going up either side of that mountain.  If that’s the case then they would use that extra lane to ensure at least one lane open in each direction, unless it gets worse.

The road is only two lanes at the location, and the damage covers both lanes

codyg1985

I drove through there before in the middle of December and I remember it looking kind of rough, but not as bad as what it is now apparently.

I use that road sometimes to bypass the usual I-24 cluster foxtrots from time to time if I am heading through Chattanooga.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.