News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Specific Service Logo BBS

Started by Mergingtraffic, January 20, 2019, 05:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

In CT, I  noticed since the businesses are the ones to have to find a sign fabricator and make the sign on their own in accordance with DOT FHWA standards, that many are either dilapidated or the specs are slightly off.

The only ones that are state made and current with specs are the ATTRACTIONS signs and that's b/c tourism dollars are attached to it. (they are wider and longer than most of the other services signs such as the one below)

How are the specific logo signs in your state?
Does the state make the sign or do they make the business do it all on their own like CT does? CT says the on-ramp of the preceding exit must be at least 7800 feet from the exit ramp of the exit with the logo sign.

The current spec of logo signs in CT:
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Ian

In Maine, all logo signs are both manufactured and installed by the DOT or a state contractor. Business who want to be advertised on logo signs must meet certain requirements and pay $500 per main line sign per year (off-ramp signage have no additional costs). The Maine Turnpike Authority have similar methods, fees, and qualifications.

In addition to logo signs seen on the interstates, Maine is also big on what they refer to as Operational Business Directional Signs (OBDS). Businesses are responsible for the manufacturing of OBDSs, however installation is done either by the DOT or local town crews depending on who maintains the road they're installed on. Signs may be either reflective or non-reflective, but size specifications differ depending on which is used (reflective signs may either be 12"x48" or 16"x72" but non-reflective signs must be 12"x48"). While the MaineDOT must approve all designs, there aren't many other specifications that need to be observed when designing these signs. Fees vary between towns, cities, and counties. More info can be found here.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

txstateends

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on January 20, 2019, 05:31:24 PM

I'm a little surprised that the McDonald's part didn't have the "24 hr. Drive Thru" part horizontally underneath the logo, like most other service sign logos have ("Diesel", "24 Hours", etc)--unless it was a function of that McDonald's that was implemented after the sign was installed.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Ben114

Massachusetts probably has a first come, first serve method, and there is this sign on I-495 at exit 17 that has an "other food available" sign attached to it and is the only one I know of in the state. This attached piece seems to look newer than the larger sign. Oddly enough, MassDOT hasn't installed an additional sign with the other options on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.