News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed Limit -8

Started by Ian, December 10, 2010, 07:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Found this while browsing on Fail blog and thought I'd share it here. It looks like one of the New Jersey Turnpike variable speed limit signs malfunctioned! According to the comments on the photo, this is along the Pennsylvania Turnpike Extension off the New Jersey Turnpike.

:ded:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Roadgeek Adam

Those things never show the same display. I credit them when they work right. XD
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

cu2010

epic fail. :pan:

I wonder if anyone actually tried to go -8mph...
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

mightyace

^^^

Just back up along the shoulder at 8 mph... :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael in Philly

Or go back in time or something.  Can't quite get my head around negative speed.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Zmapper

This brings up a question. Legally, what would be the speed limit if something like this showed up on the sign? Can they even ticket you for speeding at all?

SteveG1988

you can say i thought it was 88 mph?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 11, 2010, 12:26:18 AM

it could be as low as 28.  it's very likely a sign whose regulatory validity would get thrown out in court instantly, with the implication being that you should have continued to obey the previous sign.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

It's always annoyed me on the turnpike when I pass a 65 sign, then a blank sign (which I ignore and continue going 70), then a 45 sign. Makes me feel like maybe the blank one was supposed to be 45. That's always worried me when driving on it.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Michael in Philly

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 11, 2010, 12:29:46 AM
Quote from: SteveG1988 on December 11, 2010, 12:26:18 AM

it could be as low as 28.  it's very likely a sign whose regulatory validity would get thrown out in court instantly, with the implication being that you should have continued to obey the previous sign.

Or the default - 50 is it? - that they post in some places at the state line.  And even if it's not posted, "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

english si

Quote from: Michael in Philly on December 10, 2010, 11:41:03 PMOr go back in time or something.  Can't quite get my head around negative speed.
Negative speed doesn't work - both duration and distance are scalar, not vector. I guess time is vector, so going back in time might work.

However Michael in Philly's suggestion of reversing along the shoulder (as long as you are going the wrong way) would be a velocity of -8, as velocity (displacement/duration) is a vector quantity.

SteveG1988

Maybe it is Warp Point Eight?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

agentsteel53

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on December 11, 2010, 12:37:30 PM
It's always annoyed me on the turnpike when I pass a 65 sign, then a blank sign (which I ignore and continue going 70), then a 45 sign. Makes me feel like maybe the blank one was supposed to be 45. That's always worried me when driving on it.

the blank one can't be enforced.

neither can one that is knocked down face-down.  except of course when it is enforced, because they know damn well you won't fly back to Rectangular Assbladder County, three time zones from your home, to show up in court and contest it.

so, basically, the speed limit of -8 is a way to levy senseless fines upon out-of-state drivers.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Truvelo

Are speed limits ending in 8 allowed? I thought they had to end in 0 or 5.
Speed limits limit life

Duke87

Engineering standards (and MUTCD standards?) do stipulate that speed limits should be a multiple of 5 (multiple of 10 for metric), but I don't know about it actually being a legal requirement.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadsign199qc

Remembering me the Minus World in SMB.
Hi!

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Quillz

Quote from: Duke87 on December 12, 2010, 11:15:50 AM
Engineering standards (and MUTCD standards?) do stipulate that speed limits should be a multiple of 5 (multiple of 10 for metric), but I don't know about it actually being a legal requirement.
There's a college near my house that prints up its own speed limit signs. The main street that connects all the campuses together has a speed limit of 12 mph while the parking lots have a speed limit of 4 mph.

deathtopumpkins

Part of the road connecting I-64 to US 60 and Busch Gardens Williamsburg here is posted at 18 mph. The signs I believe are all posted by the park up until the US 60 interchange, but apart from the advance signs for the exits, all appear to be perfectly MUTCD-standard
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

golden eagle

Quote from: Truvelo on December 12, 2010, 07:10:16 AM
Are speed limits ending in 8 allowed? I thought they had to end in 0 or 5.

The speed limit of the University of Mississippi campus is 18, in honor of former quarterback Archie Manning.

Compulov

I remember seeing this one for a while (and laughed when I saw it on failblog). That particular one is the last variable speed sign before the bridge. The last time I was out there it was blank.

If I remember my NJ drivers manual... I believe that if the speed limit is ever not posted, default speed limits come into play. That's 25 in a residential, 25 (35?) in a business district, and I believe 50 everywhere else. Technically, I suppose a trooper could bust you for going over 50 in that case, but there are other 55 signs before that one, so it should be assumed that the speed limit of 55 carried over. Guess it depends on the mood of the judge whether it'd hold up in court. Of course I doubt that going 88 would hold up in court (though I'd love to see the judge's face if you tried -- might get off on comedic value), especially since the state speed limit is 65. I would like to see someone try and fight a ticket for 65 in a 55 (or even say 70 in a 55) if there was no number on the sign, though, under the assumption that 65 is the "typical" turnpike speed limit.

This reminds me... I was a bit taken by the 60mph speed limit on I-83 north of Baltimore the other day. I think that's the first time I can recall seeing 60 on a freeway (or at least the first time in a long while). For some reason they always use 55 or 65 (or 70 & 75 outside the northeast).

rmsandw

A sign at the Stark County Courthouse in Wisconsin has a speed limit 2 sign.
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM
This reminds me... I was a bit taken by the 60mph speed limit on I-83 north of Baltimore the other day. I think that's the first time I can recall seeing 60 on a freeway (or at least the first time in a long while). For some reason they always use 55 or 65 (or 70 & 75 outside the northeast).

Virginia staggers speed limit decreases going into cities most of the time, which leads to, at least on I-64 heading into Hampton Roads, 70 -> 65 -> 60 -> 55. Plus I-664 and I-464 within Hampton Roads have segments with a speed limit of 60.

I had never really thought about it, always assuming that that was just as common a speed limit as any of the other even numbers (50, 40, etc.).

Compulov

Quote from: rmsandw on March 29, 2011, 05:01:57 PM
A sign at the Stark County Courthouse in Wisconsin has a speed limit 2 sign.
Can they give you a speeding ticket if you run?

Compulov

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 29, 2011, 05:49:55 PM
Quote from: Compulov on March 29, 2011, 04:56:51 PM

Virginia staggers speed limit decreases going into cities most of the time, which leads to, at least on I-64 heading into Hampton Roads, 70 -> 65 -> 60 -> 55. Plus I-664 and I-464 within Hampton Roads have segments with a speed limit of 60.

I had never really thought about it, always assuming that that was just as common a speed limit as any of the other even numbers (50, 40, etc.).

I've seen that elsewhere, just usually in 10s... 65 -> 55 -> 45 (if needed). One place that sticks in my mind outside the freeway system is Old Trenton Road in West Windsor, NJ. The road is 50, but drops down to 35 because of a blind intersection and a traffic light. They drop the limit to 45, then, I think to 40, then to 35. I wish more roads had staggered speed drops, since it's highly irritating to go from a 50 zone to 25 (usually with a cop sitting right behind the sign). By staggering it, you can at least just let up off the gas and cruise down to the proper speed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.