News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 11

Started by Interstate Trav, April 28, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Yes, the standard inch was metricized to 25.4 mm sometime in the 1950s and the standard foot based on that.  However the old foot is still in use by surveyors, as land was surveyed and lots defined on the old foot that's a tiny bit bigger.

elsmere241

Quote from: kkt on July 09, 2015, 11:15:36 AM
Yes, the standard inch was metricized to 25.4 mm sometime in the 1950s and the standard foot based on that.  However the old foot is still in use by surveyors, as land was surveyed and lots defined on the old foot that's a tiny bit bigger.

Specifically, the standard foot is exactly 0.3048 meters, and the survey foot is exactly 1200/3937 (0.30480061 etc) meters.  The mile is based on the survey foot, so it isn't exactly 1.609344 km, but rather 6336/3937 (1.609347219 etc) km.

andy3175

http://www.trivalleycentral.com/casa_grande_dispatch/area_news/i--project-could-put-pinal-in-center-of-megapolitan/article_0abcab46-3472-11e5-a6dd-0f8a87aa2db5.html

QuoteThe term "megapolitan"  sounds like the name for an ancient creature profiled on the Discovery Channel. Ironically, it's the word that may define the future of Arizona, especially in light of the ambitious Interstate 11 project. A megapolitan is defined as a conglomeration of metropolitan areas with a combined population of at least 5 million people. There are 11 regions in the United States currently defined as megapolitan. The Arizona Sun Corridor, stretching from Phoenix to Nogales, is one of these geographical behemoths and it's said to be lacking the infrastructure to accommodate all of its economic potential.  ...

That's where Interstate 11 is intended to come to the rescue. The proposed transportation corridor would connect Las Vegas to the Mexican border, thus opening up a north-south trade route that would extend to Canada.

Ground was broken on the first 15-mile chunk of the freeway in Boulder City, Nevada, earlier this year. However, the pathway connecting Phoenix to Mexico has yet to be decided and likely won't be for the next few years. 

The Arizona Department of Transportation will launch an environmental impact study soon to determine the best location for a 2,000-foot-wide corridor within southern Arizona. The route is projected to cut somewhere through western Pinal County down to Tucson. ...

Unlike the northern sections of I-11, the southern Arizona corridor has not been recognized by Congress as a site for a future interstate freeway. ...

Jackson said the interstate's biggest economic driver for Casa Grande is speeding up freight delivery times for trucks passing from California to Texas. Drivers currently may have difficulty making one-day hauls between Long Beach and Casa Grande.

Interstate 11 could potentially create an alternative route that wraps around Phoenix's congested freeways and guarantees a more accurate time frame for deliveries.     

"It would really open up some trade corridors for Casa Grande and I think really help our economic development,"  Jackson said.

ADOT estimates $431 billion worth of freight deliveries are projected to pour into Arizona from California by 2040. This type of economic activity could bring in 240,000 new jobs, though these estimates assume trade in the Asia Pacific region remains positive as it's been in the last couple of decades. ...

The economic impacts of I-11 are all quite desirable, but there is still the looming issue of how to pay for it.  ...

The Sonoran Institute, an environmental research nonprofit, has identified more than 700,000 acres of land within 20 miles of the proposed I-11 route suitable for renewable energy development. Electrical transmission lines installed through I-11 could connect with nearby solar panels or wind turbines, which could produce up to 70,000 megawatts of energy. 

It won't be until ADOT completes its impact study three years from now until southern Arizona will have a better idea where Interstate 11 could be positioned. This prolonged timeline does not seem to curb the excitement community leaders have at the prospect of Arizona becoming a mega center for commerce and development.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

vdeane

The term "metropolitan" sounds like it was invented to justify building I-11 south of Phoenix.  The connection to Mexico already exists via I-10 and I-19.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: vdeane on August 13, 2015, 01:09:20 PM
The term "metropolitan" "megapolitan" sounds like it was invented to justify building I-11 south of Phoenix.  The connection to Mexico already exists via I-10 and I-19.

FTFY, though your sentiment is echoed. Both highways are fully capable of handling the traffic they currently carry.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

pumpkineater2

What happened to the idea to connect Phoenix and Las Vegas? Wasn't that the original plan? I remember that the big thing people were saying was how these were the two largest  cities not connected by an interstate, now all the maps show the possible alignments completely avoiding Phoenix and continuing south. I know there are reasons for this, it just seems that people suddenly forgot about what I think is the most important part.

QuoteJackson said the interstate's biggest economic driver for Casa Grande is speeding up freight delivery times for trucks passing from California to Texas. Drivers currently may have difficulty making one-day hauls between Long Beach and Casa Grande.
Then there is no need for it to go south of I-8. Connecting it to that freeway, then having drivers who are bypassing Phoenix go east to I-10 and on to Tucson/Nogales/beyond is perfectly sufficient and I agree that those freeways (I-10/19) can easily handle that traffic.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

dfwmapper

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 13, 2015, 04:48:35 PM
FTFY, though your sentiment is echoed. Both highways are fully capable of handling the traffic they currently carry.
I-10 really isn't sufficient for current traffic volumes, let alone whatever it will be in 30 years. It needs 6 lanes the whole way between Phoenix and Tucson. That ought to hold it for a while, though, at least if Arizona is smart enough to ban trucks from the left lane.

roadfro

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on August 13, 2015, 06:17:50 PM
What happened to the idea to connect Phoenix and Las Vegas? Wasn't that the original plan? I remember that the big thing people were saying was how these were the two largest  cities not connected by an interstate, now all the maps show the possible alignments completely avoiding Phoenix and continuing south. I know there are reasons for this, it just seems that people suddenly forgot about what I think is the most important part.

The Phoenix—Vegas connection is the whole reason I-11 exists. However, the state DOTs and various elected officials have begun looking beyond just reconstructing the existing connecting highways to study what additional transportation needs potential I-11 routings can serve in both the Phoenix/Vegas metro areas and by extending north/south to serve the greater southwest regional mobility. It's just that at this point, the path between Phoenix and Vegas is pretty well defined by existing US 93 while the paths through the metro areas and extending beyond are still very up in the air (thus the presentation of various alignments in the media).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Quote from: dfwmapper on August 14, 2015, 01:36:02 AM
Quote from: TravelingBethelite on August 13, 2015, 04:48:35 PM
I-10 really isn't sufficient for current traffic volumes, let alone whatever it will be in 30 years. It needs 6 lanes the whole way between Phoenix and Tucson. That ought to hold it for a while, though, at least if Arizona is smart enough to ban trucks from the left lane.
I remember looking at the traffic counts for that section of I-10.  From what I can recall, the AADT was in the 40-50k range.  Barely enough to consider widening it, let alone a parallel corridor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

noelbotevera

If they really want it extended to Mexico, while serving Phoenix, why not use the AZ 85 corridor, and have I-11 take over AZ 85 south of I-10? The highest AADT AZ 85 gets was only above ~15,000 AADT, in 2013.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: noelbotevera on August 15, 2015, 06:07:45 PM
If they really want it extended to Mexico, while serving Phoenix, why not use the AZ 85 corridor, and have I-11 take over AZ 85 south of I-10? The highest AADT AZ 85 gets was only above ~15,000 AADT, in 2013.
Isn't AZ 85 between I-10 and I-8 slowly being upgraded to interstate standards anyway? Either way the road would be ripe for I-11 to use and would save alot of construction.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

pumpkineater2

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 15, 2015, 06:47:24 PM
Isn't AZ 85 between I-10 and I-8 slowly being upgraded to interstate standards anyway? Either way the road would be ripe for I-11 to use and would save alot of construction.

I think it was being upgraded, but I don't think any improvements have been made in recent years. I think its safe to say that the road is almost a freeway; it is missing interchanges at at-grade crossings(although satellite images show that room has been made for them) and of course it needs a freeway to freeway interchange at I-8.

And I agree that it would be a good route for I-11.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

billtm

Wait, so is I-11 not gonna even intersect with Loop 303? :confused:

jakeroot

Quote from: billtm on August 16, 2015, 08:08:48 PM
Wait, so is I-11 not gonna even intersect with Loop 303? :confused:

Maybe a spur, but there is no intent to connect the 303 with I-11.

dfwmapper

Not entirely true. Some of the proposals have I-11 continuing south of I-10 before turning east and heading towards Casa Grande. In those proposals, Loop 303 would have its southern terminus at I-11.

jakeroot

Quote from: dfwmapper on August 16, 2015, 10:36:19 PM
Not entirely true. Some of the proposals have I-11 continuing south of I-10 before turning east and heading towards Casa Grande. In those proposals, Loop 303 would have its southern terminus at I-11.

Indeed. I did not see that until now. I had no idea how far south the 303 was planned to go.

The Ghostbuster

How long before we signage along any portion of the Interstate 11 Corridor (excluding future Interstate 11 signs)?

roadfro

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 17, 2015, 03:22:53 PM
How long before we signage along any portion of the Interstate 11 Corridor (excluding future Interstate 11 signs)?
I will say it will be a while before we see any signs. Consider:

1.  The only portions of I-11 completed are the Hoover Dam Bypass and any section that will overlap with existing interstates.

2. The only project underway related to I-11 is the Boulder City Bypass, which broke ground recently and is 2-3 years away (at least) from major completion.

3. Besides in-progress work, the only "finalized" alignment is the part in Arizona that generally follows US 93.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 41

I honestly feel like I-11 is totally unnecessary. It seems like someone is trying to play connect the dots (cities) with interstate highways. An interestate from Phoenix to Las Vegas is unnecessary and one from Las Vegas to Reno is just totally rediculous. There is not enough traffic out in the middle of the desert to justify building interstates. If they want to make all of US 93 4 lanes from Wickenburg to I-40 that's one thing, but to build overpasses and interchanges for roads that barely have any traffic is another. US 93 from Las Vegas to Kingman is not interstate quality, but it is good enough and should be left alone. If they are going to build an interstate do us all a favor and build it along a new alignment as a toll road and leave US 93 as a free alternative, so at least you can get some money back off of a poor investment. The only good part of this plan is that they are going to build a bypass around Boulder City, the rest of it is stupid.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

myosh_tino

Quote from: US 41 on August 27, 2015, 06:51:01 PM
US 93 from Las Vegas to Kingman is not interstate quality

I believe the segment of US 93 from I-15 to I-215 is interstate quality as it is signed as I-515.

I also believe the Hoover Dam bypass and the currently under construction Boulder City Bypass are both being built to Interstate standards too.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kkt

I'm okay with them upgrading US 93 to freeway and building interchanges if they think it's worth while.  It's their money.  I think it would probably be better spent on the urban area freeways that are really crowded, but like I say, it's Arizona and Nevada's call.

But I don't think it's worth changing the number.  A toll road paralleling US 93 wouldn't get enough use to pay for its cost, with 93 a fast, free alternative.  Upgrading to freeway does make it a little safer, I guess, for drivers who are too drunk/sleepy/whatever to watch for traffic as they pull out.

US 41

Quote from: myosh_tino on August 27, 2015, 07:42:00 PM
Quote from: US 41 on August 27, 2015, 06:51:01 PM
US 93 from Las Vegas to Kingman is not interstate quality

I believe the segment of US 93 from I-15 to I-215 is interstate quality as it is signed as I-515.

I also believe the Hoover Dam bypass and the currently under construction Boulder City Bypass are both being built to Interstate standards too.

I'm talking about US 93 overall (mostly in Arizona). It has a gravel shoulder in some parts which is definitely not interstate quality. I just think it is a waste of money to upgrade highways that are 4 lanes and don't have very much traffic. I don't have a problem with US 93 being widened between Wickenburg and I-40, but to make it interstate quality from Phoenix to Las Vegas is just really stupid in my opinion.

Quote from: kkt on August 27, 2015, 09:22:16 PM
But I don't think it's worth changing the number.  A toll road paralleling US 93 wouldn't get enough use to pay for its cost, with 93 a fast, free alternative.

Here's my theory on this.

#1. If you think more traffic would continue using the existing highway rather than pay the tolls, then there's a pretty good chance that the interstate isn't needed.

#2. If the road wouldn't get enough use to pay for its cost (as you are suggesting and that would most likely be true) then the road isn't needed.

Upgrading to freeway does make it a little safer, I guess, for drivers who are too drunk/sleepy/whatever to watch for traffic as they pull out.

That's a pretty lame excuse for spending millions of dollars to upgrade something that was perfectly fine to start with. First off drunk driving is illegal. Second if you are too tired to watch for traffic then you need to go to bed, not drive down the highway.

There are only 3 towns in Arizona between the NV state line and US 60 (201 miles) along US 93 that show up on my map: Kingman (28,393), Wikieup (305), Wickenburg (6,604). At this point I can't even justify widening US 93 in the places it's still only 2 lanes. I honestly hope after reading the info I gave everyone on AARoads that everyone can realize how dumb I-11 really is.

The following link is what US 93 looks like about 10 miles north of Wickenburg. Now tell me that an interstate is needed.
https://goo.gl/maps/HxZg3
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

kkt

Quote from: US 41 on August 28, 2015, 10:24:14 AM
Upgrading to freeway does make it a little safer, I guess, for drivers who are too drunk/sleepy/whatever to watch for traffic as they pull out.

That's a pretty lame excuse for spending millions of dollars to upgrade something that was perfectly fine to start with. First off drunk driving is illegal. Second if you are too tired to watch for traffic then you need to go to bed, not drive down the highway.

There are only 3 towns in Arizona between the NV state line and US 60 (201 miles) along US 93 that show up on my map: Kingman (28,393), Wikieup (305), Wickenburg (6,604). At this point I can't even justify widening US 93 in the places it's still only 2 lanes. I honestly hope after reading the info I gave everyone on AARoads that everyone can realize how dumb I-11 really is.

The following link is what US 93 looks like about 10 miles north of Wickenburg. Now tell me that an interstate is needed.
https://goo.gl/maps/HxZg3

Sure, not looking as you pull into traffic is stupid, but greater safety does come from reducing people's opportunity to do stupid things.  A freeway could also justify a higher speed limit.

It looks like Nevada is for it in the hopes that it'll bring a little more tourism to Las Vegas, and Arizona is for it mostly because they want to make a loop freeway around Phoenix and parallel to I-10 and for some reason don't want to use a state route number or I-x10 number for it.  Kingman-Boulder Dam is just along for the ride.  It's how sausage is made.

J N Winkler

Regarding first signing of I-11, it would take a change order to do that for the part of the Boulder City Bypass that is currently under construction.  However, I think a later phase (currently in design) could very well have I-11 signed on milemarkers at least.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

english si

I-11 will likely be signed not long after the Boulder City bypass opens (and I-11 South in NV is complete).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.