AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maryland  (Read 331792 times)

vdeane

• Last Login: June 24, 2018, 06:00:14 PM
    • New York State Roads
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1525 on: June 12, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »

ITS International: http://www.itsinternational.com/categories/charging-tolling/news/kapsch-to-upgrade-marylands-toll-collection-equipment/

Kapsch TrafficCom will replace all of Maryland Transportation Authority’s (MDTA’s) roadside tolling equipment.

For the upgrade, valued $67m (£47m), Kapsch will utilise radio-frequency identification (RFID) toll readers, automated number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras and scanners in the mixed-mode lanes. The company will also install its stereoscopic vehicle detection and classification sensor (nVDC) in the all-electronic toll lanes.
RFID?  Could this be a hint at future interoperability between E-ZPass and other transponders?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ixnay

• Last Login: Today at 06:53:01 AM
« Reply #1526 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »

Another moveable bridge on the Eastern Shore has been replaced on MD 331 between Easton and Preston...

http://www.stardem.com/spotlight/new-dover-bridge-officially-opens/article_f9c67e80-e3d0-5f48-bfb1-b036ace7fb29.html

ixnay

TheOneKEA

• Last Login: June 24, 2018, 10:48:52 PM
« Reply #1527 on: June 15, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »

This was released earlier today by the MDTA. Personally I’m quite pleased at the outbreak of common sense, but still annoyed that the additional funds won’t pay for a complete quad carriageway up to MD 543. When the revised plans are released I will be interested to see if the interchange and ROW reconstruction will include passive provision to widen the southbound side to build the missing ETL carriageway.

HOGAN ADMINISTRATION ADDS $890 MILLION TO EXTEND I-95 EXPRESS TOLL LANES TO HARFORD COUNTY

Jmiles32

• Last Login: June 21, 2018, 06:04:35 PM
« Reply #1528 on: June 15, 2018, 09:34:41 PM »

This was released earlier today by the MDTA. Personally I’m quite pleased at the outbreak of common sense, but still annoyed that the additional funds won’t pay for a complete quad carriageway up to MD 543. When the revised plans are released I will be interested to see if the interchange and ROW reconstruction will include passive provision to widen the southbound side to build the missing ETL carriageway.
^Agreed.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/harford/aegis/ph-ag-expanded-express-toll-lanes-plan-0620-story.html
In addition to building the two express lanes farther out into Harford County, the interchanges at Route 152 in Joppa and Route 24 will be reconstructed, so motorists can exit to them directly from the express lanes.

The interchange work at Route 152 also will involve changes to the existing park and ride logs, according to MDTA.

Reconstruction of the Route 24 interchange includes a two-lane flyover ramp toward Bel Air, alleviating congestion for motorists exiting I-95 to routes 24 and 924, MDTA said.

$890 million seems like way too much for whats being added on here. Its also important to note that this project is scheduled to begin in 2019 and end in 2026, something I'm sure will annoy the hell out of locals. IMHO the whole I-95 ETL project north of Baltimore should have been built under a P3 deal such as the express lanes in NOVA. However, Maryland's upcoming plans for I-495 and I-270 show that the state is learning.

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1529 on: June 18, 2018, 12:00:53 AM »

Except that the P3 for the VA express lanes has its issues.  Namely, TransUrban does not consult the E-ZPass database in the event of a blown read.  They just send out a violation notice with exorbitant fees.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jmiles32

• Last Login: June 21, 2018, 06:04:35 PM
« Reply #1530 on: June 18, 2018, 11:23:10 AM »

Except that the P3 for the VA express lanes has its issues.

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means defending those deals. The I-95 one in particular was horrendous. Yet terms of time and efficiency, while the 8-mile I-95 ETLS took 8 years to build(2006 to 2014), the far more complex 14-mile I-495 HOT lanes took only 4(2008 to 2012). Hell, the 22-mile Transform I-66 is projected to take only 4 years too(2018 to 2022). Would Maryland have gotten a good deal on the initial I-95 ETL project? Probably not. However, after seeing what a decent P3 deal can look like(I-66 IMO), I think Maryland could get way more bang for their buck with a P3 deal here. I would have much rather saw that extra $890 million go towards widening I-81.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: Today at 08:11:15 AM
« Reply #1531 on: June 18, 2018, 01:16:08 PM »

Except that the P3 for the VA express lanes has its issues.  Namely, TransUrban does not consult the E-ZPass database in the event of a blown read.  They just send out a violation notice with exorbitant fees.

Not in my experience.  The E-ZPass online interface shows that it takes 5 days or more for my I-95 and I-495 transactions to post and deduct the toll after the trip.  One of the ETC experts on Facebook told me that is because they take that much time in order to fully verify the transaction.
Scott M. Savage
-- Borders, Language and Culture
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #1532 on: June 18, 2018, 01:21:33 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I am by no means defending those deals. The I-95 one in particular was horrendous. Yet terms of time and efficiency, while the 8-mile I-95 ETLS took 8 years to build(2006 to 2014), the far more complex 14-mile I-495 HOT lanes took only 4(2008 to 2012). Hell, the 22-mile Transform I-66 is projected to take only 4 years too(2018 to 2022). Would Maryland have gotten a good deal on the initial I-95 ETL project? Probably not. However, after seeing what a decent P3 deal can look like(I-66 IMO), I think Maryland could get way more bang for their buck with a P3 deal here. I would have much rather saw that extra $890 million go towards widening I-81.

Same with the Elizabeth River Tunnels project.  Massive $1.4 billion P3 project to build a new tunnel, major rehabs of the 3 older tunnels, extend the MLK Freeway.  On time and on budget, 2012-2016.  Pain in re-tolling the tunnels notwithstanding.
Scott M. Savage

vdeane

• New York State Roads
« Reply #1533 on: June 18, 2018, 08:34:22 PM »

Not in my experience.  The E-ZPass online interface shows that it takes 5 days or more for my I-95 and I-495 transactions to post and deduct the toll after the trip.  One of the ETC experts on Facebook told me that is because they take that much time in order to fully verify the transaction.
I think this may have resulted in a lawsuit ending with a court order to check the database.

Same with the Elizabeth River Tunnels project.  Massive $1.4 billion P3 project to build a new tunnel, major rehabs of the 3 older tunnels, extend the MLK Freeway.  On time and on budget, 2012-2016.  Pain in re-tolling the tunnels notwithstanding.
Didn't one of the tunnel P3s result in VDOT being unable to improve another facility if they don't pay a penalty?

1995hoo

• Last Login: Today at 09:00:24 AM
« Reply #1534 on: June 18, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

That's not entirely true. Last year when Ms1995hoo bought a new car over Memorial Day weekend, I added it to our E-ZPass (Virginia) account before we left the dealer. We drove it in the I-95 HO/T lanes without an E-ZPass on the way home and it was properly charged to our E-ZPass account because I had the plate registered.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #1535 on: June 18, 2018, 11:46:16 PM »

Didn't one of the tunnel P3s result in VDOT being unable to improve another facility if they don't pay a penalty?

No:

Q: Will ERC receive additional compensation related to other transportation improvements in Hampton Roads?

A: The Project will not prohibit the future development of any other projects in the Hampton Roads region.  If the Commonwealth opens a competing facility during the term of the Midtown Tunnel agreement, ERC may make a claim if the revenues needed to pay back the financing for the Midtown Tunnel Project decreases because of that facility.  ERC must comply with strict notice requirements in order to make a claim and ERC bears the burden of proof in demonstrating revenue impacts.  There is no guaranteed compensation.

https://www.driveert.com/project-resources/faq/
Scott M. Savage

froggie

• Last Login: June 24, 2018, 09:56:03 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1536 on: June 19, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »

It wasn't a tunnel P3, but there was such a clause at least considered for either the Beltway or the initial 95/395 HO/T lanes.  I recall it being a big stink up in NoVA when the 95/395 HO/T lanes were being planned.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #1537 on: June 19, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »

It wasn't a tunnel P3, but there was such a clause at least considered for either the Beltway or the initial 95/395 HO/T lanes.  I recall it being a big stink up in NoVA when the 95/395 HO/T lanes were being planned.

There is all kinds of misinformation being propagated about P3 projects regarding that issue. 
All the VA P3 projects are handled in their comprehensive agreements like as in the ERT cite that I posted yesterday.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 10:19:32 AM by Beltway »
Scott M. Savage

froggie

• Last Login: June 24, 2018, 09:56:03 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #1538 on: June 19, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »

^ The administration of the governor at the time was being a bit secretive about project details, which certainly didn't help the misinformation situation.  Had they been more upfront, the miscommunications would have been largely avoided.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.