Foothills Parkway

Started by HighwayMaster, June 11, 2011, 07:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HighwayMaster

The Foothills Parkway is unfinished and, for some reason, won't be finished, even when the ROW is there. Between US-321 in Walland and US-321 in Wears Valley, the road is graded, complete with overpasses, but not open. Why?
Life is too short not to have Tim Hortons donuts.

mgk920

Quote from: HighwayMaster on June 11, 2011, 07:39:33 PM
The Foothills Parkway is unfinished and, for some reason, won't be finished, even when the ROW is there. Between US-321 in Walland and US-321 in Wears Valley, the road is graded, complete with overpasses, but not open. Why?

Funding.  The NPS is working on it as the availability of money permits and actually added a few bridges within the past ten years or so.  Eventually, that section will be complete and open.

Mike

NE2

This bridge, in particular, was built recently (it's not on Google aerials, under construction on Bing, and complete on NAIP).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

wdcrft63

This section of the Parkway was under construction when I lived in Knoxville -- from 1974 to 1987. 31 years later, still not open.

inkyatari

Quote from: wdcrft63 on October 26, 2018, 06:31:13 PM
This section of the Parkway was under construction when I lived in Knoxville -- from 1974 to 1987. 31 years later, still not open.

See above.  It opens Nov. 10th

mgk920

This still leaves the part between Wears Valley and Cosby with no visible work.  Will any of us in the forvm today live to see that section completed?

Mike

inkyatari

Quote from: mgk920 on October 29, 2018, 10:19:35 AM
This still leaves the part between Wears Valley and Cosby with no visible work.  Will any of us in the forvm today live to see that section completed?

Mike
Who knows. Some people just want it to be turned into a trail. Parkways are a low priority for the NPS.

spooky

I drove this newly opened segment of the Foothills Parkway over Thanksgiving, as my parents live approximately 2 miles from the beginning point in Wears Valley. I took mostly scenery pics but I do have a couple of the road which I can post once I get them off my phone.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.