What is the highest classification of road beside which you have urinated?

Started by agentsteel53, July 19, 2011, 11:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconG

What a hilarious thread!  Me? I-95, somewhere in the Carolinas, years ago.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

KillerTux

lol. This is a great thread. For me, Interstate 97, around 2-3 in the morning.Tip: When taking a piss, You have to put a lean to it so no one pulls over thinking your car is broken down.

shadyjay

Interesting topic here!

Aside from stopping at rest areas, parking areas, etc, the two times that come to mind were around 2000-2001 and both on the Mass Pike on the same day:

We were stopped in traffic EB on the Mass Pike between I think Exits 11 & 11A and my cousin and I ran into the woods.  Of course right then, traffic started moving. 

Several miles later, we were stuck at the then-east end of the Mass Pike waiting to get onto the Central Artery-NB in the left lane and I got out and relieved myself.  The funny thing about it was another "passing" motorist asked directions to how to get to Logan Airport!

lkjljlkj

Back in the winter of 2003, a friend and I were driving thru upstate SC on I-26 during a snow and ice storm.  A trucker had jack-knifed and everything was at a standstill with lots of troopers there with lights flashing.  I had to pee really, really bad, so I just jumped out of the car, walked over to one of the troopers & asked him if I could pee on the side of the road without getting arrested, and he said sure.  There weren't even any trees anywhere near the road.  So I walked maybe 20 ft off to the side and peed right there.

wriddle082

Wow, what a great thread!  OK, back in the summer of 2002, my father and I were traveling from Nashville to Greensboro, NC for my stepsister's wedding, and we got stuck in a traffic jam on I-40 somewhere near Crab Orchard, TN.  We had not moved for at least 15 minutes, he really had to go, and I was behind the wheel.  I told him he could get out and go if he would hurry and I would get a turn afterwards, and he agreed.  He got out and went, then took the wheel while I got out and went.  As I was about to run back, I saw traffic finally start moving ahead, so we were lucky!  Never did figure out what held us up, other than seeing a lone THP car on the shoulder about 3-4 miles ahead of where we were stopped.

thenetwork

Quote from: shadyjay on July 20, 2011, 09:57:18 PM
Several miles later, we were stuck at the then-east end of the Mass Pike waiting to get onto the Central Artery-NB in the left lane and I got out and relieved myself.  The funny thing about it was another "passing" motorist asked directions to how to get to Logan Airport!

Did ya "draw" them a map on the ground???   :biggrin:

dave19

I-68. Traffic was stopped, backed up for several miles because of a wreck. Everyone sensed what was going on and stayed single file, although every so often some guy would go flying by. The vehicle in front of me was large, it was dark out, so I went in front of my car and did it on the road.
It was funny when traffic finally started moving again, because I saw at least two dozen more piss spots on up the road - evidently more than a few motorists had relieved themselves in the same fashion.

huskeroadgeek

I've never done it myself on any road that I can think of(I'm fairly modest in that respect-I don't even like going in the woods unless I have to), but I have seen it done before. When I was in college and traveling through the Southwest on a choir tour, we were in the mountains on I-8 E. of San Diego when the lead van(out of 3) indicated it was pulling off on the shoulder. The other two vans followed and one guy quickly jumped out of the first van, and turned his back to the 25 or so people watching from the 3 vans and did his duty off the side of the road.

Brandon

Why does this thread make me think of a certain roadgeek who thinks pooing is cool?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

codyg1985

US 60 east of Springfield, MO. It was the middle of the night and foggy and hardly a soul on the road.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Ian

I went to take a leak on the side of the southbound I-87/New York Thruway just past exit 17 when traffic was backed up from just above Harriman (exit 16).
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Truvelo

On freeways and other roads where signs say emergency stopping only does taking a leak qualify as an emergency? I know here in the UK it doesn't and police take a very dim view of people stopping on the shoulder of motorways to acidify the nearby vegetation.
Speed limits limit life

J N Winkler

Quote from: Truvelo on July 22, 2011, 04:54:16 PMOn freeways and other roads where signs say emergency stopping only does taking a leak qualify as an emergency? I know here in the UK it doesn't and police take a very dim view of people stopping on the shoulder of motorways to acidify the nearby vegetation.

In general, American police don't take "emergency stopping only" regulations as seriously as British police.  Whether or not urgent need to micturate fits the legal definition of an emergency in any given state, you can usually expect not to be bothered by the police.

However, I would not expect this generalization to hold in states where the population density approaches that of Britain.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

agentsteel53

I have only stopped by the side of a fully limited-access freeway once in my life - I-80 in Utah, to take some photos.  so I might not be the most accurate identifier of bias.

but I have stopped by all kinds of roads, and been harassed very rarely.  usually, if the sheriff drives by, they wave and I wave and that indicates "I am all right, no need to render assistance".  I've even waved mid-pee; no problem there.  when you've gotta go ...

therefore, in the US, I believe the general rule is "park on the shoulder, walk well away from the right-of-way but remain visible ... basically, don't make yourself a safety hazard, and do your business".

I've had a few stop and ask me questions about why I was stopped (not to pee, just to take photos), but each and every time my explanation of "just taking some photos of your lovely local scenery" has been sufficient.  

(I've noted county sheriffs, and their deputies, to be the paragons of reason.  This makes sense: they are elected officials, and usually well-known to their constituents.  No use in stirring up trouble among those who would, or would not, vote you back into office next time around.)
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

My experience has been similar to Jake's. I've actually never been stopped that I can recall when parked on the side of a freeway taking photos, even times I've walked down the shoulder a considerable distance, but I've noticed over time that so long as you are clearly doing something like taking photos, urinating, changing a tire, pouring over maps, or anything of the like, police don't care. It's only if you're doing something dangerous or sketchy that they would really have a problem with you stopping. That or if it's in an area where doing so is unsafe because of conditions like the lack of a full shoulder.

Other motorists are sure to give you plenty of "what's this freak doing on the side of the interstate with a camera!?" looks though.  :rolleyes:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

formulanone

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 22, 2011, 05:46:42 PM
In general, American police don't take "emergency stopping only" regulations as seriously as British police.  Whether or not urgent need to micturate fits the legal definition of an emergency in any given state, you can usually expect not to be bothered by the police.

Basically, cops can use it as an excuse to give you a citation, if they they want to claim "public intoxication", but from I'be heard that's more of an issue with city areas where you're more publicly visible.

Duke87

Don't think I've ever done it off of any sort of numbered highway, just local streets. Almost got a citation for it once in Brooklyn, but the cops let me go when they realized I wasn't drunk (not that time, anyway!) and was generally a respectable citizen.

In fact come to think of it, for it's a walking around a city thing, not a driving thing. Driving I've never had problems finding legit bathrooms.
Although, I did pee in an empty soda bottle in my car once in the parking lot at the train station. That was a long night...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on July 23, 2011, 12:46:06 PM
Basically, cops can use it as an excuse to give you a citation, if they they want to claim "public intoxication", but from I'be heard that's more of an issue with city areas where you're more publicly visible.

Seems to me that "indecent exposure" would be a more logical charge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2011, 12:07:46 AM
Seems to me that "indecent exposure" would be a more logical charge.

Ah, but they can't always prove you didn't wet yourself.

Maybe the citation is the better part of valor in this case...

jwolfer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 19, 2011, 11:43:20 PM
for me, four-lane divided expressway.  US-395 in the Owens Valley.

never done an interstate.  Perhaps I should change this fact.

watch where you pee you could get arrested for indecent exposure if the police officer is a jerk

Dr Frankenstein

Interstate 89. At 3 AM.

Brandon

Quote from: jwolfer on August 01, 2011, 03:05:26 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 19, 2011, 11:43:20 PM
for me, four-lane divided expressway.  US-395 in the Owens Valley.

never done an interstate.  Perhaps I should change this fact.

watch where you pee you could get arrested for indecent exposure if the police officer is a jerk

They do that in Naperville, IL.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ftballfan

Me, along US-31 a couple of times.
My mother once used a portajohn alongside I-75 in Georgia while I watched her climb up an embankment, use a bridge over I-75, and down an embankment just to reach said portajohn *cue Dueling Banjos* ;)

yakra

In summer `06, my car overheated on the big hill on I-80 west just outta West Wendover. While pacing around waiting for it to cool down I took the opportunity to water the plants. I'd been chugging Monster energy drinks since SLC; I'd swear it came out green...
I may have hit 95 and/or 295 in ME; really can't remember for sure.

As for vomiting, in September `010, I bagged a state route, US route, and interstate (if turnpike rest areas count) on the same trip.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

njroadhorse

NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.