News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Breezewood-type situations

Started by ftballfan, October 19, 2011, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: vtk on October 28, 2014, 02:57:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 28, 2014, 12:56:20 PM
Are the traffic lights new?  I only see stop signs on the GSV.

What GSV are you looking at?  The intersection with Petzinger Rd has had a traffic light as long as I can remember.

It had a light when I lived 5 minutes from there almost a decade ago and it still does per GSV. Went through there at least a couple times a month, got stopped the vast majority of trips. Both subdivisions served by the intersection are landlocked and due to a railroad line, Alum Creek, and a small industrial area linked to the other non-interstate leg of the triangle (James Rd), full freeway connections to I-70 would be prohibitively expensive. That being said, there's no reason to get rid of the SR 104 "Breezewood" on this end because the (worse) one at I-71 would still exist, limiting throughput.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

6a

Quote from: vtk on October 28, 2014, 11:59:26 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 27, 2014, 09:48:55 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on October 27, 2014, 03:59:34 PM
US 33 at I-70 in Columbus:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbus,+OH+43209/@39.9286642,-82.920459,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x883887e1b8220b79:0xfed6b42a00a7dcba

Not only is there a single intersection along that route with no stopping or businesses along the way, But 33 to 270 to 70 is all freeway, and it's maybe a mile away.

Actually that single intersection has a traffic light, and it turns red more often than you might expect.
Yeah but when I breeze through at 3am on my way to work that red might as well not exist :sombrero:

Edit: they're working on a plan for that whole area, God knows if it ever comes to pass. Edit again, and glory be, it looks like they're fixing that God damn death merge from James to 104.

cl94

Quote from: 6a on October 29, 2014, 04:21:30 PM
Quote from: vtk on October 28, 2014, 11:59:26 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 27, 2014, 09:48:55 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on October 27, 2014, 03:59:34 PM
US 33 at I-70 in Columbus:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbus,+OH+43209/@39.9286642,-82.920459,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x883887e1b8220b79:0xfed6b42a00a7dcba

Not only is there a single intersection along that route with no stopping or businesses along the way, But 33 to 270 to 70 is all freeway, and it's maybe a mile away.

Actually that single intersection has a traffic light, and it turns red more often than you might expect.
Yeah but when I breeze through at 3am on my way to work that red might as well not exist :sombrero:

Edit: they're working on a plan for that whole area, God knows if it ever comes to pass. Edit again, and glory be, it looks like they're fixing that God damn death merge from James to 104.

I remember seeing that a while back. Death merge is being braided and they're getting rid of a bunch of townhomes to depress US 33. Fixing a bunch of other issues on that stretxh of I-70 as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

GCrites

Oh that light was there way before Water's Edge (the apartments to the west) went up in the '90s. But the light didn't back up 70 in those days since almost no one lived in Groveport or Canal Winchester. And not nearly as many people commuted from Lancaster on 33 since it took so much longer to get there with all the signals and at-grade intersections that were on 33 then.

TheStranger

Didn't realize until now that the freeway segment of La Cienega Boulevard through Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area in Los Angeles terminates just 3/4 mile from Interstate 405, with 6 at-grades via La Tijera.  Likewise, Route 90/Marina Freeway ends 6 blocks west of the Slauson Avenue exit from La Cienega.
Chris Sampang

Henry

The freeway section of WV 43 ends just short of reaching I-68:
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NE2

Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2014, 12:00:26 PM
This is a case where building flyovers to please the freeway fetishists would be a complete waste.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

freebrickproductions

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but there is currently a "Breezewood"-like situation here in Huntsville.
On US 231 (Memorial Parkway), there are a couple of traffic lights between the overpass for Whitesburg Drive and Weatherly Road and the interchange for Martin Road.
I'm not sure if it counts though, either.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on December 11, 2014, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: Henry on December 11, 2014, 12:00:26 PM
This is a case where building flyovers to please the freeway fetishists would be a complete waste.

Agreed. There are plans to do so, but traffic levels will probably never justify anything more than what's there now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Although you could put in roundabouts at I-68 and WV 43. Those are no less freeway standard than cloverleaves with tight weaves.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Really even no reason to do that. The current setup seems to handle traffic just fine.

Unless you want to turn it into another NY Thruway/I-587.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on November 20, 2013, 09:23:48 AM
QuoteWhat really makes no sense is that MNDOT has plans to extend US 169's freeway status northward with a couple of planned interchanges,

They do?  News to me...

QuoteMNDOT should consider routing US 169 westward along I-94 and then renumber MN 101 from Rogers to Otsego as US 169 allowing US 169 to pass through the Twin Cities completely as a freeway

This got discussed a few months ago in one of the Fictional threads.  I just don't see it as necessary.

US 169 at 101st Avenue interchange in Brooklyn Park: http://projects.srfconsulting.com/hwy169and101st/Documents/Default.aspx
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

iBallasticwolf2

Interstate 74/74 in Rockingham, NC (Yes, I know the gap will be filled in the future)
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

TheStranger

Several examples like this in and around Wilmington, North Carolina:

I-140 and the US 74 freeway in Leland are several blocks apart from directly connecting:
https://goo.gl/maps/N6yvg1RPPRA2

I-40 and the segment of the US 74 freeway (Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway) near the Wilmington airport:
https://goo.gl/maps/xgmpuhMdUoC2

US 74 with itself between the Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway and the Battleship North Carolina site (probably more similar to I-78's run in Jersey City)
https://goo.gl/maps/m3da1n2RVvs

Chris Sampang

NE2

Quote from: TheStranger on November 06, 2015, 03:15:18 PM
Several examples like this in and around Wilmington, North Carolina:

I-140 and the US 74 freeway in Leland are several blocks apart from directly connecting:
https://goo.gl/maps/N6yvg1RPPRA2
What reason would there be for enough traffic going between I-140 and the US 74 freeway to justify an upgrade (as opposed to a longer upgrade of US 74 to the west)?

Mark68

A few around Denver:

E-470 & I-70: Northbound E-470 has a flyover to westbound I-70. All other movements require access through Gun Club Road. Both ends of Gun Club interchange with E-470, but there are four lights between them (two of which are with the I-70 ramps).

E-470 & I-76. Direct access from northbound E-470 to eastbound I-76 & westbound I-76 to southbound E-470. All other access is through 120th Ave (to/from E-470) & Sable Blvd/CO 2 (to/from I-76). All movements not done through the ramps require 4-5 traffic lights.

The limited access portion of Northwest Pkwy ends about a mile and a half north of its junction with Boulder Turnpike (US 36) and requires two traffic lights (plus the lights at the on/off ramps for the Turnpike) to navigate between the two.

The movement from westbound 6th Ave/US 6 to eastbound I-70 and from westbound I-70 to eastbound US 6 requires access through Indiana St and Colfax Av/US 40. Of course, the two parallel each other through most of western Denver metro until I-70 turns southwest to ascend into the foothils. They do meet at an acute angle.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Mark68 on January 13, 2019, 06:36:58 PM
A few around Denver:

E-470 & I-70: Northbound E-470 has a flyover to westbound I-70. All other movements require access through Gun Club Road. Both ends of Gun Club interchange with E-470, but there are four lights between them (two of which are with the I-70 ramps).

E-470 & I-76. Direct access from northbound E-470 to eastbound I-76 & westbound I-76 to southbound E-470. All other access is through 120th Ave (to/from E-470) & Sable Blvd/CO 2 (to/from I-76). All movements not done through the ramps require 4-5 traffic lights.

The limited access portion of Northwest Pkwy ends about a mile and a half north of its junction with Boulder Turnpike (US 36) and requires two traffic lights (plus the lights at the on/off ramps for the Turnpike) to navigate between the two.

The movement from westbound 6th Ave/US 6 to eastbound I-70 and from westbound I-70 to eastbound US 6 requires access through Indiana St and Colfax Av/US 40. Of course, the two parallel each other through most of western Denver metro until I-70 turns southwest to ascend into the foothils. They do meet at an acute angle.
US6 at heritage rd

US 89

Salt Lake area:

I-15/US-89/Legacy Parkway (SR-67) in Farmington: there is no direct access for the 15 south-89 north, 89 south-15 north, 15 north-Legacy south, or Legacy north-15 south. these movements use Park Lane, which requires either 2 or 4 traffic lights. I doubt the 15/Legacy movements are used very often, but the 15-to-89 movement is probably used a fair amount. In fact, both missing 15/89 movements did exist before around 2002, when they were removed to accommodate Legacy's construction.

I-15/I-84 in Riverdale: the 15 north-84 east and 84 west-15 south movements require Riverdale Road, which requires as many as four traffic lights. That movement isn't likely used all that often, as it's significantly easier to cut the corner by using US 89 up the east side instead.

I had no idea that road had a name -- everything I'd seen before called it simply E-470. Did that short segment ever carry mainline E470 traffic (i.e. before the mainline to the west was built) or was it built specifically for the I-70/E-470 interchange?

ILRoad55

A possible situation is at I-57 and I-294 (Tri-State Tollway) https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6206916,-87.6849081,1829m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Before October 2014, there was no connection at all for these 2 expressways. They just crossed and in order to get from one to the other, you'd have to rely on the streets or use I-80. Phase I added 2 ramps, NB I-57 to NB I-294 and SB-294 to SB I-57. Additionally, a set of ramps were built at 147th Street for the Tri-State (a SB off-ramp and a NB on-ramp) which allowed for a street connection to I-57.

Eventually the interchange will be completed, but I haven't heard any talk about it in years.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ILRoad55 on January 13, 2019, 11:50:59 PM
A possible situation is at I-57 and I-294 (Tri-State Tollway) https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6206916,-87.6849081,1829m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Before October 2014, there was no connection at all for these 2 expressways. They just crossed and in order to get from one to the other, you'd have to rely on the streets or use I-80. Phase I added 2 ramps, NB I-57 to NB I-294 and SB-294 to SB I-57. Additionally, a set of ramps were built at 147th Street for the Tri-State (a SB off-ramp and a NB on-ramp) which allowed for a street connection to I-57.

Eventually the interchange will be completed, but I haven't heard any talk about it in years.
I used to use US 6/159th St for the connection between I-57 and I-294 - as it has a cloverleaf interchange with both interstates, and its about 1 mile between or so, with a couple traffic lights

The movements I typically make are the ones that the new ramps allow, so I do not use the US 6/159th St exits for the connection any more

Mark68

Quote from: US 89 on January 13, 2019, 09:02:11 PM
Salt Lake area:

I-15/US-89/Legacy Parkway (SR-67) in Farmington: there is no direct access for the 15 south-89 north, 89 south-15 north, 15 north-Legacy south, or Legacy north-15 south. these movements use Park Lane, which requires either 2 or 4 traffic lights. I doubt the 15/Legacy movements are used very often, but the 15-to-89 movement is probably used a fair amount. In fact, both missing 15/89 movements did exist before around 2002, when they were removed to accommodate Legacy's construction.

I-15/I-84 in Riverdale: the 15 north-84 east and 84 west-15 south movements require Riverdale Road, which requires as many as four traffic lights. That movement isn't likely used all that often, as it's significantly easier to cut the corner by using US 89 up the east side instead.

I had no idea that road had a name -- everything I'd seen before called it simply E-470. Did that short segment ever carry mainline E470 traffic (i.e. before the mainline to the west was built) or was it built specifically for the I-70/E-470 interchange?

The road has the same name as the road that acts as a sort of frontage road for E-470 from just south of Jewell Ave. In fact, the light to the farthest south is where Gun Club Rd from the south meets E Colfax Ave (which acts as a southern frontage road to I-70 in that area--the Colfax mainline is a little farther to the west). It is possible that the Gun Club moniker was removed, as the street signs on the mast arms read "E-470". I just went through there last night, as a matter of fact.

To answer your question, before the E-470 mainline was built to the west (which was prior to the flyover from north to west) the mainline went through those lights.

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 13, 2019, 08:05:20 PM
A few around Denver:

US6 at heritage rd

I was hesitant to include that, since the C-470 freeway *technically* ends at US 6, but the long range plans are to upgrade that section of US 6 to a freeway at least as far as CO-58/CO-93, with the 19th St interchange already done.

Of course, when that's complete, it will leave a Breezewood scenario on US 6 between I-70 & C-470, with lights at W Colfax & Johnson Rd and a sharp (due to the RTD W Line tracks) RIRO from westbound 6th to Ulysses St and RIRO from eastbound 6th to Interplaza (& westbound Colfax--since you can't make the right turn at the actual intersection of 6th & Colfax).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Mark68 on January 14, 2019, 01:51:50 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 13, 2019, 09:02:11 PM
Salt Lake area:

The road has the same name as the road that acts as a sort of frontage road for E-470 from just south of Jewell Ave. In fact, the light to the farthest south is where Gun Club Rd from the south meets E Colfax Ave (which acts as a southern frontage road to I-70 in that area--the Colfax mainline is a little farther to the west). It is possible that the Gun Club moniker was removed, as the street signs on the mast arms read "E-470". I just went through there last night, as a matter of fact.

To answer your question, before the E-470 mainline was built to the west (which was prior to the flyover from north to west) the mainline went through those lights.

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on January 13, 2019, 08:05:20 PM
A few around Denver:

US6 at heritage rd

I was hesitant to include that, since the C-470 freeway *technically* ends at US 6, but the long range plans are to upgrade that section of US 6 to a freeway at least as far as CO-58/CO-93, with the 19th St interchange already done.

Of course, when that's complete, it will leave a Breezewood scenario on US 6 between I-70 & C-470, with lights at W Colfax & Johnson Rd and a sharp (due to the RTD W Line tracks) RIRO from westbound 6th to Ulysses St and RIRO from eastbound 6th to Interplaza (& westbound Colfax--since you can't make the right turn at the actual intersection of 6th & Colfax).

What about completing the 470 loop as well?

https://www.codot.gov/library/studies/westconnect-coalition-pel-study/assets/final-alternatives-report

does not seem to have any real freeway parts other then maybe the 1 lane ramps.

US71

Fayetteville, AR has a Breezewood-type situation:

You can't access SB I-49 from NB 71 on the south end of town. You have to exit at AR 265, cross over 71, under 49, then use the on-ramp from 265.
https://goo.gl/maps/tsSmHeqPPL42
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

inkyatari

Quote from: ILRoad55 on January 13, 2019, 11:50:59 PM

From what I gather, the next phase of construction will be in 2023.

https://www.illinoistollway.com/documents/20184/239492/201407_Tri+State+294+57+Interchange+Opening.pdf/19e69d6b-ea80-4a71-8bee-42212b568edd?version=1.0
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

kphoger

Quote from: US71 on January 18, 2019, 09:42:02 AM
Fayetteville, AR has a Breezewood-type situation:

You can't access SB I-49 from NB 71 on the south end of town. You have to exit at AR 265, cross over 71, under 49, then use the on-ramp from 265.
https://goo.gl/maps/tsSmHeqPPL42

But US-71 is not a freeway south of there, and the movement you mention does not follow the NB US-71 designation anyway.  Doesn't compare to Breezewood, IMHO.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.