News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Breezewood-type situations

Started by ftballfan, October 19, 2011, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2013, 03:41:32 PM
Only heading southbound if one is using the Tri-State Tollway and not coming from US-41 (Skokie Highway).
Skokie Highway isn't a freeway, so no "Breezewood" here.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2013, 03:50:46 PM
Only heading southbound if one is using the Tri-State Tollway and not coming from US-41 (Skokie Highway).
Skokie Highway isn't a freeway, so no "Breezewood" here.

The freeway exists for a few miles north of the interchange before becoming a divided highway, thus, yes, there is a "Breezewood" there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

^^ Hardly.  The freeway extends north to Park Avenue in Highland Park.  That's fact, not opinion, man.  :pan:

Last sign before Park Avenue.

And heading southbound from Park Avenue.  Note the freeway-type prohibition sign on the right.

Aerial of I-94 and US-41.

Aerial of I-94 and I-294.

Aerial of the Montrose (aka Edens) Junction.  The Kennedy Expressway (I-90) takes a turn to the south between Nagle and Austin.

Surface street signage on the Lawrence exit ramp off the inbound Kennedy.

Signage at Cicero and Lawrence.

Signage at Cicero and Foster.  The ramp to the outbound Edens is off Foster.

Going the other way, Cicero and Foster.  Foster has an interchange with the Kennedy allowing one to go outbound.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Your opinion that a short freeway stub miles away makes it a so-called "Breezewood". When you save five miles and probably congestion by cutting west to the Tri-State rather than getting on the stub in the first place.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2013, 04:43:48 PM
Your opinion that a short freeway stub miles away makes it a so-called "Breezewood". When you save five miles and probably congestion by cutting west to the Tri-State rather than getting on the stub in the first place.

I take it you have never tried to drive there.  I'm just telling you what it is, not what you want to believe.

NE2

Show me a definition of "Breezewood" in a reputable dictionary. Yawn.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2013, 04:54:30 PM
Show me a definition of "Breezewood" in a reputable dictionary. Yawn.

SPUI, like I said in another thread, feck off.  "Breezewood" is a roadgeek term, and we have defined it and variations of it here.

NE2

We. I'm part of we. It's not like I'm black or anything.

dgolub

How about I-495 (or the lack thereof) across Manhattan?  You drive through the Midtown Tunnel, get dumped onto the city streets with a whole batch of traffic lights, and then go through the Lincoln Tunnel to New Jersey where NJ 495 is an expressway.

Also, for tall trucks, I-278 coming off the RFK Bridge into Queens.  Tall trucks get forced off onto Astoria Boulevard where they have to go through a batch of traffic lights before getting onto the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway.

froggie

QuoteWhat really makes no sense is that MNDOT has plans to extend US 169's freeway status northward with a couple of planned interchanges,

They do?  News to me...

QuoteMNDOT should consider routing US 169 westward along I-94 and then renumber MN 101 from Rogers to Otsego as US 169 allowing US 169 to pass through the Twin Cities completely as a freeway

This got discussed a few months ago in one of the Fictional threads.  I just don't see it as necessary.

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: froggie on November 20, 2013, 09:23:48 AM
QuoteWhat really makes no sense is that MNDOT has plans to extend US 169's freeway status northward with a couple of planned interchanges,

They do?  News to me...

QuoteMNDOT should consider routing US 169 westward along I-94 and then renumber MN 101 from Rogers to Otsego as US 169 allowing US 169 to pass through the Twin Cities completely as a freeway

This got discussed a few months ago in one of the Fictional threads.  I just don't see it as necessary.

The idea is so that US 169 does not have to go through downtown Anoka. Also would get rid of the US 10 multiplex of US 169 and MN 47 could then also be rerouted down to I-94/494/US 169. I guess it is not necessary though as you point out.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

m2tbone

I'm thinking the Interstate 70 Connector at the intersection of I-70 and US 63 in Columbia, MO, qualifies as a Breezewood type situation.  To get from one highway to the other, one must use the connector.  I'm pretty sure future plans include directional ramps between the two highways. 

vtk

Quote from: m2tbone on December 04, 2013, 10:14:32 PM
I'm thinking the Interstate 70 Connector at the intersection of I-70 and US 63 in Columbia, MO, qualifies as a Breezewood type situation.  To get from one highway to the other, one must use the connector.  I'm pretty sure future plans include directional ramps between the two highways. 

I think that would barely be a third degree Breezewood; those two highways are basically perpendicular, right?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

Quote from: vtk on December 04, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
I think that would barely be a third degree Breezewood; those two highways are basically perpendicular, right?
Yes, but it's part of the fastest route between Missouri's largest city and capital. Given how the Missouri River curves, I-70 could have been built via Boonville-Columbia-Jeff City-Pacific (compare to I-40 across Arkansas).

vtk

Serves me right for not looking at a map...

I94RoadRunner

Quote from: vtk on December 05, 2013, 12:11:58 AM
Serves me right for not looking at a map…
Quote from: vtk on December 04, 2013, 10:31:04 PM
Quote from: m2tbone on December 04, 2013, 10:14:32 PM

US 36 at I-229 would be a similar occurrence as US 36 is a freeway on both sides of I-229, however the interchange between the two freeways is a diamond interchange.
Chris Kalina

“The easiest solution to fixing the I-238 problem is to redefine I-580 as I-38

mrsman

Quote from: NE2 on November 19, 2013, 01:19:50 PM
Ah, so it is signed. It's still an acute angle, and through traffic will use I-294.

Only heading southbound if one is using the Tri-State Tollway and not coming from US-41 (Skokie Highway).  Going northbound, one must use surface streets as the I-94/I-294 interchange is also partial (as is the I-94/US-41 interchange).  To go from northbound I-294 to eastbound I-94 (and from westbound I-94 to southbound I-294) requires the use of surface streets - namely a U-turn at the Deerfield Road interchange.  To go from southbound US-41 to westbound I-94 (and vice-versa) also requires the use of surface streets.

My specific gripe with this interchange is that the connecting route on the surface streets is very poorly marked.  Yes, there are I-90 (or I-94) shields and arrows showing every place you need to turn on Cicero and Lawrence, but given that this is a replacement for a freeway ramp, you would think that they would use relatively large signs to show you the way.

Another gripe is that the surface street routing requires me to remember that I want I-94 west.  I'm heading from O'Hare to the north suburbs and I want to connect to the Edens Expy, which is basically N-S all the way to Milwaukee, yet I need to follow small signs on surface streets that only say I-94 west.  No name for the expressway.  No control cities.  Relatively small signs that I'd expect at the junction of two rural roads, not a freeway substitute.  Especially considering that a lot of the traffic is coming from O'Hare so they're likely tourists who may be unfamiliar with the route.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Chicago,+IL&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=chicago&amp;sll=39.089909,-94.569658&amp;sspn=0.00428,0.007339&amp;t=m&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois&amp;ll=41.878114,-87.629798&amp;spn=0.002066,0.003669&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.968,-87.747651&amp;panoid=StpJOhfSCbACuUKCHbk_HA&amp;cbp=12,93.64,,0,13.55&amp;output=svembed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Chicago,+IL&amp;aq=0&amp;oq=chicago&amp;sll=39.089909,-94.569658&amp;sspn=0.00428,0.007339&amp;t=m&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hnear=Chicago,+Cook,+Illinois&amp;ll=41.878114,-87.629798&amp;spn=0.002066,0.003669&amp;z=14&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=41.968,-87.747651&amp;panoid=StpJOhfSCbACuUKCHbk_HA&amp;cbp=12,93.64,,0,13.55" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Nobody needs to make the missing moves at the other 90/94 interchange on the south side, because the Dan Ryan traffic can continue to the Borman to get to Indiana.  Nobody will leave the Dan Ryan to connect at surface streets to reach the Skyway.

Upthread, someone mentioned the 101/134/170 missing moves in North Hollywood, CA.  Having grown up in the Hollywood area, I'm very familiar with this interchange.  Yet, even those who are not, can make the missing moves easily because of easy to follow signs on the freeways and on the surface streets as well. 

mrsman

When I lived in Los Angeles, I lived in the Hollywood area.  The closest freeway on-ramp to my house was at 101 and Highland Avenue.  Despite how comprehensive the LA freeway system was, If I entered either 101 north or 101 south at this point, the following freeways could not be reached without significant backtracking or utilizing a Breezewood (exiting and taking surface streets to make the connection):

The entire 134 freeway.

The 210 freeway from CA-118 in Pacoima to I-605 in Irwindale.

The I-5 Golden State Freeway from East L.A. interchange to Sun Valley (I-5/170 split).

The entire CA-2 Glendale Freeway.

My main Breezewoods to resolve this:

US 101 - 134 connection via Universal City streets.  Vineland Ave is recommended by Caltrans.
Driving surface streets to reach I-5 at Los Feliz.
Taking the 101 to Alvarado and using the Alvarado Breezewood to connect to CA-2.
Taking the 101 to 110 and driving surface streets in Pasadena (Colorado-Marengo) to reach 210 or 134.
Taking the 101 to 10 to 710 and driving the 710 surface Breezewood (Valley-Fremont-Columbia-Pasadena to 710 stub)

[This actually came up in a conversation a few years ago.  I was trying to reach a friend's house in East Glendale near the 2 and 134 interchange.  We discussed it and figured out there was no way to get to his house without taking the freeway, exiting, and then getting back on the freeway.  I believe I used Alvarado as my connection.]

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

vtk

That's the most minor kind of Breezewood, because there isn't one interrupted freeway route involved, but a somewhat interesting one because there are three freeways that don't quite connect to one another in a free-flowing manner: I-70, US 33, and OH 104. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheStranger on October 27, 2014, 03:59:34 PM
US 33 at I-70 in Columbus:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbus,+OH+43209/@39.9286642,-82.920459,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x883887e1b8220b79:0xfed6b42a00a7dcba

Not only is there a single intersection along that route with no stopping or businesses along the way, But 33 to 270 to 70 is all freeway, and it's maybe a mile away.

vtk

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 27, 2014, 09:48:55 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on October 27, 2014, 03:59:34 PM
US 33 at I-70 in Columbus:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Columbus,+OH+43209/@39.9286642,-82.920459,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x883887e1b8220b79:0xfed6b42a00a7dcba

Not only is there a single intersection along that route with no stopping or businesses along the way, But 33 to 270 to 70 is all freeway, and it's maybe a mile away.

Actually that single intersection has a traffic light, and it turns red more often than you might expect.

jeffandnicole

Are the traffic lights new?  I only see stop signs on the GSV.

Anyway, the nearby highway system allows for all freeway movements, unlike Breezewood.  If anything, the extra interchanges in this area are a bonus for both locals and thru traffic alike.

vtk

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 28, 2014, 12:56:20 PM
Are the traffic lights new?  I only see stop signs on the GSV.

What GSV are you looking at?  The intersection with Petzinger Rd has had a traffic light as long as I can remember.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.