News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: edwaleni on May 13, 2018, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2018, 01:15:38 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 10, 2018, 12:41:48 AM
Note that this bridge is half of the only route people can take via bridge from Kentucky to Missouri.  The bridge isn't just going to facilitate trips involving Illinoisans.

Indeed, it's part of my preferred route from Wichita to Nashville:  it's 70 miles shorter to go that way than to take the Interstates through KC and St Louis, and a lot better traffic.  Plenty of long-distance east-west traffic on that bridge, including trucks.

Yes. A few trucking firms get off at I-24 at Paducah and cut through Cairo to reach US-60 in Missouri.

You don't even actually go through Cairo to get there.  You're only in Illinois for about one mile on that route between the bridges.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

edwaleni

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2018, 04:32:55 PM
Note that this bridge is half of the only route people can take via bridge from Kentucky to Missouri.  The bridge isn't just going to facilitate trips involving Illinoisans.

Indeed, it's part of my preferred route from Wichita to Nashville:  it's 70 miles shorter to go that way than to take the Interstates through KC and St Louis, and a lot better traffic.  Plenty of long-distance east-west traffic on that bridge, including trucks.

Yes. A few trucking firms get off at I-24 at Paducah and cut through Cairo to reach US-60 in Missouri.

You don't even actually go through Cairo to get there.  You're only in Illinois for about one mile on that route between the bridges.

At least downtown Cairo that is. The actual city limits go from Fort Defiance all the way to I-57.

kphoger

Quote from: edwaleni on May 15, 2018, 12:54:47 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2018, 04:32:55 PM

At least downtown Cairo that is. The actual city limits go from Fort Defiance all the way to I-57.

Far enough away that you can't actually see Cairo from the junction.  If you didn't already know Cairo was north of there, then you'd have no idea.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

captkirk_4

I hear in that few thousand feet in Illinois they manage to run one hell of a revenue speed trap. I've seen how bad that county is on 57 with multiple cars always pulled over in that first 20 miles of Illinois that I can believe it. On google earth you can even see the bear sitting there at the base of the Ohio river bridge.

Crash_It

Quote from: captkirk_4 on May 20, 2018, 08:26:53 PM
I hear in that few thousand feet in Illinois they manage to run one hell of a revenue speed trap. I've seen how bad that county is on 57 with multiple cars always pulled over in that first 20 miles of Illinois that I can believe it. On google earth you can even see the bear sitting there at the base of the Ohio river bridge.

Drive the speed limit and you'll never have to worry about a speed trap.

edwaleni

Quote from: Crash_It on May 21, 2018, 04:57:41 AM

Set speed limits for rational use, not revenue collection and bears arent required at all.

inkyatari

Quote from: edwaleni on May 21, 2018, 08:01:54 AM

Set speed limits for rational use, not revenue collection and bears arent required at all.

Quoted for great truth
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

mgk920

Quote from: edwaleni on May 21, 2018, 08:01:54 AM

Many speed traps are set up to ensnare even the most careful, law-abiding people.

:verymad:

Mike

tribar

You mean the low limits that are set that way to increase revenue?

edwaleni

Quote from: tribar on May 21, 2018, 11:57:19 AM

In this specific case, the I-57 Bridge over the Mississippi River is 70mph on both sides of the bridge.

The IL bears are taking advantage of the fact that the rate of decline (grade) is somewhat high and so they sit right where the shoulder starts catching people napping on their brake use as they come down off the bridge.

The question is, just how vigilant are they? 72mph, 75mph 78mph.

2nd question is there a history of wrecks on the IL side?

Are they more aggressive in winter when ice may be present?

Cairo resides in one of the poorest counties in IL, and historically in my travels, the poorer and cash strapped the local government is, the more aggressive law enforcement is.

abefroman329

Quote from: edwaleni on May 21, 2018, 12:56:13 PM
Cairo resides in one of the poorest counties in IL, and historically in my travels, the poorer and cash strapped the local government is, the more aggressive law enforcement is.

And any rural area loves to write tickets to out-of-town (or out-of-state) drivers who will pay the ticket rather than going down there to fight it in court.

Crash_It

70 isn't low, it's what a majority of states have except for only a handful.

tribar

Quote from: Crash_It on May 21, 2018, 11:31:01 PM

No, it still is low for rural interstates, especially if ISP is ticketing for less than 5 over.

kphoger

A handful being 19?
Male pronouns, please.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on May 22, 2018, 11:10:01 AM

No, it still is low for rural interstates, especially if ISP is ticketing for less than 5 over.

ISP lets you do 75+ in a 55 on the toll roads.

paulthemapguy

What are you talking about?  There aren't any Interstates there lol.  This is US51, US60, and US62 we're talking about.  Debate is not related
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 22, 2018, 04:41:26 PM

What are you talking about?  There aren't any Interstates there lol.  This is US51, US60, and US62 we're talking about.  Debate is not related

See the bolded part.  There's I-57.
Male pronouns, please.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 04:59:19 PM

Big Rig Steve drove SB I-57 through there about a week ago and made a comment about an ISP (or was it a Pulaski County Mountie or a local Cairo city cop?) running a radar trap in a construction zone on the part of that highway that is in the City of Cairo.  I have zero objections to doing heavy enforcement in a construction zone, BTW, but otherwise, just from watching that video, all of I-57 south of I-24 in Illinois just *screams* 'speedtrap!' to me.

:wow:

Mike

abefroman329

Quote from: mgk920 on May 22, 2018, 05:18:17 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2018, 04:59:19 PM

Big Rig Steve drove SB I-57 through there about a week ago and made a comment about an ISP (or was it a Pulaski County Mountie or a local Cairo city cop?) running a radar trap in a construction zone on the part of that highway that is in the City of Cairo.  I have zero objections to doing heavy enforcement in a construction zone, BTW, but otherwise, just from watching that video, all of I-57 south of I-24 in Illinois just *screams* 'speedtrap!' to me.

:wow:

Mike

I'm not sure if the two are connected, or if they even could be, but I believe there's a police academy in that neck of the woods, too.

paulthemapguy

This might interest all of youse guys. 

QuoteIncluded in the plan is $148.4 million for I-80 in Will County, $26 million for reconstruction of the U.S. 20 bypass in Rockford and $12.7 in improvements to I-57 downstate.

http://wgntv.com/2018/05/29/gov-rauner-announces-11-billion-infrastructure-plan/
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Brandon

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 29, 2018, 06:09:35 PM

QuoteIncluded in the plan is $148.4 million for I-80 in Will County, $26 million for reconstruction of the U.S. 20 bypass in Rockford and $12.7 in improvements to I-57 downstate.

http://wgntv.com/2018/05/29/gov-rauner-announces-11-billion-infrastructure-plan/

It's about damn time I-80 got some attention.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 29, 2018, 06:09:35 PM

Saw a story on WQAD about the infrastructure plan this evening as well.
http://wqad.com/2018/05/29/il-gov-rauner-announces-11-05-billion-infrastructure-plan/

QuoteThe governor announced the plan's release at Peoria's McClugage Bridge at eastbound U.S. 150, which will be replaced in 2019 at a cost of $205 million with the completion of the final design this year.

QuoteOther plan highlights include:

$26 million toward the reconstruction of U.S. 20/Rockford Bypass in Rockford
$36 million to replace and repair the Third Street exit and ramps to Martin Luther King Drive in East St. Louis
$12.7 million for additional lanes on 4.5 miles of Interstate 57 from Johnson City to West Frankfort
$148.4 million for bridge work and other improvements on Interstate 80 through Will County

SSOWorld

any bets on when these get shelved before realization?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Joe The Dragon

Willow Road seems to be getting 3 lanes from the ramps to past sanders road. Will they need to rebuild the tail bridge to fit it in?

abefroman329

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 29, 2018, 08:10:46 PM
any bets on when these get shelved before realization?
After Rauner gets re-elected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.