Urban development and CA High Speed Rail -> further cuts to I-280 San Francisco?

Started by citrus, January 11, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 06, 2018, 08:16:16 PM
From what I have read, the underground portion of the BART line isn't a single track but rather a single tunnel with two levels, each containing a single track.  Downtown San Jose businesses favored this type of tunnel because it eliminates the need to use the cut-and-cover method of construction.  The tunnel would be bored with minimal disruption at the surface.

Now that makes more sense than the configuration that I originally heard (thanks for the partial info, Murky News! :eyebrow:) and talked about.  I suppose with the advances in boring equipment any arrangement, even such an over/under configuration, has become possible.  Even the upper level will have to be quite deep; much of downtown's been dotted with projects to upgrade utilities just below the surface over the last few years; BART will certainly have to duck under those facilities.  It'll be interesting to see how they deal with both Coyote Creek and the Guadalupe River en route to, respectively, downtown/SJSU and Santa Clara; their previous encounter with a significant floodplain on this line was with Alameda Creek in Union City, which they crossed on a viaduct.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.