News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What actually is a Super-2 highway?

Started by bwana39, November 08, 2023, 05:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StogieGuy7

There could be a bit of a generational thing going on with this, as I never thought of this term as being controversial in any way - like, don't we all know what a Super 2 is? Clearly, I was wrong about that. For me, this was something defined for me back in the late 60's and 70's - basically an interstate freeway in a sparsely trafficked area, that has only 2 lanes (one each direction) but which includes exits and high speeds, just like it's bigger brother. In other words, a limited access freeway with 2 lanes. This was pretty common as the interstate system was being built; most of these were eventually twinned and expanded, though a couple of small segments remain here and there.

Honestly, I thought this was a pretty simple definition.  Guess not.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 14, 2023, 01:44:55 PM
I was definitely aware of Super Two long before I discovered the road enthusiast community through MTR.  I originally learned it from my father, who used it in reference to facilities like the two-lane segments of US 54 that do not have full control of access.

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on November 15, 2023, 10:55:57 AM
There could be a bit of a generational thing going on with this, as I never thought of this term as being controversial in any way - like, don't we all know what a Super 2 is? Clearly, I was wrong about that. For me, this was something defined for me back in the late 60's and 70's - basically an interstate freeway in a sparsely trafficked area, that has only 2 lanes (one each direction) but which includes exits and high speeds, just like it's bigger brother.

Only if you're older than Jonathan's father.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Quote from: webny99 on November 14, 2023, 09:46:18 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 14, 2023, 08:28:10 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 14, 2023, 03:10:59 PM
While we're going in circles, does New York even have any two-lane freeways that would meet both the traditional and the roadgeek definition of a super-two? I know we have some with partial access control, but I can't think of any offhand that have full access control. (NY 104 has a single half-diamond at NY 89, but as a standalone interchange, I don't think it would count as a freeway if it was four lanes divided, so it probably doesn't count here either.)
NY 5S near Ilion and the Bethpage State Parkway.

Also the Niagara Scenic Parkway from Whirlpool State Park to Lewiston, if you ignore any semblance of standards for the roadway.

But not exactly a robust list either way.
You were asking about freeways, though I guess that would have counted before this all-way stop was added.  The lack of shoulders makes me think that it might meet the roadgeek definition (at least north of here) but not the DOT ones.

Honestly, that whole area feels like a pepetual work zone, not because of any work being done, but because it's still using things like temporary construction barrier and inelegant shifts instead of building something permanent.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

StogieGuy7

Quote from: kphoger on November 15, 2023, 11:03:06 AM

Only if you're older than Jonathan's father.

Yeah......no.  That definition comes from before my time. Maybe that was a Super 2 back when Our Miss Brooks was on TV, but the Super 2 that I know and love is the 2-lane interstate that traversed the quieter parts of the US. Or their state highway equivalent.

Rothman

Here's a real Super 2 (US 84, Argyle, GA Bypass). :D

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.