News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 58 Sinkhole Closures

Started by 74/171FAN, October 09, 2016, 03:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

A portion of US 58/US 360 EB is closed near the Pittsylvania-Halifax County line due to a sinkhole until maybe the end of the week.

(Note that the detour should be VA/NC 62 to NC/VA 119 back to US 58/360 EB)

EDIT: VDOT's website shows the correct detour of VA/NC 62 to NC 57 to NC/VA 119 back to US 58/360 EB.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

LM117

Glad I don't go that way. The last time I drove through there was when I went to Norfolk last year for a funeral. It was a mind-numbing drive that seemed to go on forever. I've never been so glad to see I-64 signs in my life.

It doesn't surprise me that Danville's newspaper got the highway labels wrong. :pan:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cpzilliacus

Quote from: LM117 on October 09, 2016, 04:08:10 PM
It doesn't surprise me that Danville's newspaper got the highway labels wrong. :pan:

I was scratching my head over that one.  U.S. 19 and (for a short distance) U.S. 219 can be found in the Commonwealth, but (from memory and then the U.S. 119 Wikipedia entry), not U.S. 119.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Quote from: LM117 on October 09, 2016, 04:08:10 PM
Glad I don't go that way. The last time I drove through there was when I went to Norfolk last year for a funeral. It was a mind-numbing drive that seemed to go on forever. I've never been so glad to see I-64 signs in my life.

I actually clinched this in 2014 in the snow while heading to my parents' house for Spring Break.  I clinched US 58 from I-77 to I-85 that night.  (I did not get it completely finished east of I-77 until this past July though.)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 09, 2016, 03:18:57 PM
A portion of US 58/US 360 EB is closed near the Pittsylvania-Halifax County line due to a sinkhole until maybe the end of the week.

(Note that the detour should be VA/NC 62 to NC/VA 119 back to US 58/360 EB)

Instead of putting two-way traffic in the westbound lanes?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

QuoteInstead of putting two-way traffic in the westbound lanes?

Would probably take less time to fix the sinkhole than it would to build crossovers to allow two-way traffic.

WillWeaverRVA

That's crazy, I was just in Danville for work on the 5th. Glad I went when I did.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

LM117

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 10, 2016, 09:26:05 PM
That's crazy, I was just in Danville for work on the 5th. Glad I went when I did.

Sorry about that! :-D
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: LM117 on October 11, 2016, 09:39:55 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 10, 2016, 09:26:05 PM

Sorry about that! :-D

Trust me, I wasn't there long.  :-D
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

There will be another closure for US 58 EB (about 2 weeks) near the Southhampton County-Suffolk Line (Blackwater River Bridge) on the Franklin Bypass due to a sinkhole.

This is due to a damaged pipe that must be replaced.  Currently just the right lane is closed.

EDIT:  Work to replace the pipe begins December 15th for at least 8 weeks closing both eastbound lanes.  Traffic will be two-way along the west bound lanes.

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.