News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2020, 12:10:01 PM
Not that this applies here, but the continued use of Metuchen on Exit 10 of the Turnpike drives me up a wall. Morristown has been the first control city on 287 northbound since the mid 90s. if you want something closer, then Somerville, which probably should be a control city on both 287 and 22. Even if you wanted to use a local destination, Edison seems more important, and that's relegated to secondary signage. Sometimes obstinence just keeps things in place way longer than it should be.
I always figured (without any data to support this) that most traffic entering I-287 at Exit 10 is bound for Metuchen. It does have a dedicated lane that exits to NJ 27.

Speaking of Somerville, I find it odd that I-80 signs Somerville at US 206 South when I-287 is a faster route there.

storm2k

Quote from: bzakharin on July 20, 2020, 04:56:02 PM
Not that this applies here, but the continued use of Metuchen on Exit 10 of the Turnpike drives me up a wall. Morristown has been the first control city on 287 northbound since the mid 90s. if you want something closer, then Somerville, which probably should be a control city on both 287 and 22. Even if you wanted to use a local destination, Edison seems more important, and that's relegated to secondary signage. Sometimes obstinence just keeps things in place way longer than it should be.
I always figured (without any data to support this) that most traffic entering I-287 at Exit 10 is bound for Metuchen. It does have a dedicated lane that exits to NJ 27.

Speaking of Somerville, I find it odd that I-80 signs Somerville at US 206 South when I-287 is a faster route there.

Completely coincidental. Metuchen as a control city is solely due to 287 only being built that far when Exit 10 was built. As for Somerville on 80, it passes thru Morristown first, so that makes more sense.

famartin

Actually its not, and by a significant margin.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.8906909,-74.7063058/40.5730646,-74.6239814/@40.742335,-74.7376364,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m6!4m5!2m3!6e1!7e2!8j1595235600!3e0
Change the time as you like, but nearly all will say 206 is faster than 287.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 20, 2020, 08:34:38 PM

Completely coincidental. Metuchen as a control city is solely due to 287 only being built that far when Exit 10 was built. As for Somerville on 80, it passes thru Morristown first, so that makes more sense.

It could be the same logic applied to the Exit 16W signage on the Western Spur.  All ramps to NJ 3 west elsewhere say Clifton, but the NJ Turnpike likes to use Rutherford for NJ 3 W Bound at 16W.

NJTA likes to use more local places for its signs, like the Garden State Parkway only using Woodbridge.  It should really use Paterson or even Albany, NY as it is a bypass connector from I-95 to the NYS Thruway.  However, Exit 11 is the result of consolidating old Exit 10 and Exit 11 so that is why that is.  Before I-287, Exit 10 was a direct ramp to the Garden State Parkway (partial access as it was NB only) and Exit 11 was further north connecting directly to US 9 where the maintenance yard is now. 

Though it does have merit, but I-287 north of US 1 was built first.  In fact Metuchen is still used on some US 22 E Bound signs in Bridgewater and at one time a mileage sign in Bernards Township had Metuchen on it as well stating it was 20 miles south of Mount Airy Road.  So before Piscataway became Office Park Central, Metuchen was the biggest community in that region as Piscataway was all farms up until the late 1970's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 20, 2020, 11:42:37 PM

It could be the same logic applied to the Exit 16W signage on the Western Spur.  All ramps to NJ 3 west elsewhere say Clifton, but the NJ Turnpike likes to use Rutherford for NJ 3 W Bound at 16W.

NJTA likes to use more local places for its signs, like the Garden State Parkway only using Woodbridge.  It should really use Paterson or even Albany, NY as it is a bypass connector from I-95 to the NYS Thruway.  However, Exit 11 is the result of consolidating old Exit 10 and Exit 11 so that is why that is.  Before I-287, Exit 10 was a direct ramp to the Garden State Parkway (partial access as it was NB only) and Exit 11 was further north connecting directly to US 9 where the maintenance yard is now. 

Though it does have merit, but I-287 north of US 1 was built first.  In fact Metuchen is still used on some US 22 E Bound signs in Bridgewater and at one time a mileage sign in Bernards Township had Metuchen on it as well stating it was 20 miles south of Mount Airy Road.  So before Piscataway became Office Park Central, Metuchen was the biggest community in that region as Piscataway was all farms up until the late 1970's.

Woodbridge is an official control destination for the Parkway, as per their standard design, so it actually makes good sense here. Even if it wasn't, Rt 9 also shoots off this interchange and it services Woodbridge, so I'm fine with that.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 21, 2020, 07:45:32 AM

Woodbridge is an official control destination for the Parkway, as per their standard design, so it actually makes good sense here. Even if it wasn't, Rt 9 also shoots off this interchange and it services Woodbridge, so I'm fine with that.

Woodbridge is also all the exits between Clark and Sayreville really as its a township not a small square mile city or borough. 

Signing Newark on Exit 130 is like VDOT on I-95 in Fredericksburg using both Washington and Richmond for the US 1 exit as US 1 also goes to those.

FDOT did that once for US 27 on I-75 using Miami as a control city for US 27 southbound because US 27 goes to Miami which the interstate really does not, but nonetheless they changed it to Hialeah because I-75 is still the better road even though you have to connect with other freeways to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on July 21, 2020, 07:40:02 PM

Woodbridge is also all the exits between Clark and Sayreville really as its a township not a small square mile city or borough. 

Signing Newark on Exit 130 is like VDOT on I-95 in Fredericksburg using both Washington and Richmond for the US 1 exit as US 1 also goes to those.

FDOT did that once for US 27 on I-75 using Miami as a control city for US 27 southbound because US 27 goes to Miami which the interstate really does not, but nonetheless they changed it to Hialeah because I-75 is still the better road even though you have to connect with other freeways to it.

Newark is what NJDOT uses for Rt 1 north of New Brunswick even if Rahway or Elizabeth may be better options, so I'm pretty sure that's why they have used that since they built the ramp to 1NB back in the early 90s. Kinda silly I suppose, but it is what it is.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on July 23, 2020, 09:26:44 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on July 21, 2020, 07:40:02 PM

Newark is what NJDOT uses for Rt 1 north of New Brunswick even if Rahway or Elizabeth may be better options, so I'm pretty sure that's why they have used that since they built the ramp to 1NB back in the early 90s. Kinda silly I suppose, but it is what it is.

Yeah so does a lot of places use a different control city on local routes from freeways than the side roads.  Heck NJ does for NJ 23 further north on I-287 in Riverdale.  NJ 23 is also signed Newark from its start in Montague, yet the rule is broken on I-287 using Wayne instead.   Also Mahwah on NJ 17 S Bound from I-287 where the rest of NJ 17 uses Newark as well.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Dont know if its true or not, but on FB someone posted a rate increase from $1.50 to $1.90 at the toll plazas.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on August 07, 2020, 12:20:36 AM
Dont know if its true or not, but on FB someone posted a rate increase from $1.50 to $1.90 at the toll plazas.
NJTA is increasing rates, we have separate discussion on that.

roadman65

I remember when the Parkway was only a quarter each toll plaza when I began to drive back in 1981.  It has come a long way since then including road widening as it was four lanes south of Exit 98 until the mid 1980's and then a lot changed in the last few decades including more complete interchanges and installation of the EZ Pass and such.

Now it is close to $2 and more expensive than FL roads are now as in the 90's it was the other way around.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The Garden State Parkway is one of the cheapest toll roads in terms of $/mi. For a while it was THE cheapest.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on August 08, 2020, 12:55:24 PM
I remember when the Parkway was only a quarter each toll plaza when I began to drive back in 1981.  It has come a long way since then including road widening as it was four lanes south of Exit 98 until the mid 1980's and then a lot changed in the last few decades including more complete interchanges and installation of the EZ Pass and such.

Now it is close to $2 and more expensive than FL roads are now as in the 90's it was the other way around.

Because you ignored the fact they are now mostly one way tolls, not two way tolling they had back in the 1980s.

It's closer to $2 because of the one way tolls. If they still had all one way tolls, it would still be under $1.

(And in select locations, this still applies)

NJRoadfan

Prep work on paving the shoulders between Exit 30 and 36 has begun to "widen" this section of the Parkway. For now only the overpasses are being replaced with new ones that are 3 lanes wide with full left and right shoulders. The roadway itself is being rebuilt with 2 lanes and full width shoulders. Eventually Exit 30 will be closed and Exit 29 upgraded to a full interchange, likely because the overpass that carries the Exit 30 ramp is a bit on the low side and needs to be replaced.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on August 11, 2020, 11:01:46 PM
Prep work on paving the shoulders between Exit 30 and 36 has begun to "widen" this section of the Parkway. For now only the overpasses are being replaced with new ones that are 3 lanes wide with full left and right shoulders. The roadway itself is being rebuilt with 2 lanes and full width shoulders. Eventually Exit 30 will be closed and Exit 29 upgraded to a full interchange, likely because the overpass that carries the Exit 30 ramp is a bit on the low side and needs to be replaced.

Given that the original widening plans were to widen all the way to Exit 30 and they're basically doing all the prep work for it to happen eventually, I don't know why they don't just widen it out to 29 and call it a day.

NJRoadfan

Details here: https://www.njta.com/media/5282/gsp-30-35_public-hearing-final.pdf

One of the bridges was already widened in a past replacement project.

artmalk

For all you GSP history buffs, here are two annual reports from what was then the New Jersey Highway Authority.
The one from 1955, on the last page, shows a rare image of the GSP's first trailblazer logo. https://dspace.njstatelib.org/handle/10929/54779:
The one from 1956 has a picture explaining that the GSP adopted the current logo because it was more visible to motorists.  https://dspace.njstatelib.org/handle/10929/54780.
It is interesting that the original logo lasted just a short time, and the current logo, which is unchanged snice 1956, has become an iconic symbol of New Jersey!

Mr. Matté

Sign (probably the NJDEP required interpretive signage for wetlands disturbance) showing the original two-lane tollbooth and some other old photos of it and the demolished Beesleys Point Bridge:

roadman65

Why is the Parkway like other toll roads where all attended lanes are all to the right and coin drops to the left? To me it was confusing to find the manned lanes until I discovered the steady green for each full serve lanes while all the coin basket lanes flashed green.

I think the GSP is the only toll road to break the rules as all others keep left the automated lanes and keep right the attendant lanes. 

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2021, 01:39:59 AMI think the GSP is the only toll road to break the rules as all others keep left the automated lanes and keep right the attendant lanes.
Actually, the Mass Pike pre-AET did such as well; at least at the interchange plazas.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2021, 01:39:59 AM
Why is the Parkway like other toll roads where all attended lanes are all to the right and coin drops to the left? To me it was confusing to find the manned lanes until I discovered the steady green for each full serve lanes while all the coin basket lanes flashed green.

I think the GSP is the only toll road to break the rules as all others keep left the automated lanes and keep right the attendant lanes. 

Historically, neither did the PA Turnpike:  https://goo.gl/maps/zibrSdk6oAVJeXaDA

The old coin lanes at the DRPA crossings had the exact change lanes scattered throughout the plaza.  Current day DRPA crossings have the EZ Pass only lanes scattered thru the plaza.  https://goo.gl/maps/qkiBbKLkB5kaF6Ra8 (The Lanes that are closed are generally open as Cash Only lanes during rush hour.)

Delaware Memorial Bridge: https://goo.gl/maps/Qcs58DBuh2h4JHd77 .  The right-most lane without a sign is a Cash lane as well.

Maryland's Tydings Bridge Plaza, before they went to EZ Pass only:  https://goo.gl/maps/jjyHSEsYf2McLBtGA

Baltimore's I-95 Harbor Tunnel, again before they went to EZ Pass only:  https://goo.gl/maps/39hEcB2sKH9wjLch8 (also wins the award for most inconsistant sign layout).

Ohio's Eastgate Plaza:  https://goo.gl/maps/pvx8qsgvz7DNPu7GA

And best of all, YOUR OWN STATE doesn't follow that rule:  https://goo.gl/maps/r9EYBkA4SmmzQibH7  &  https://goo.gl/maps/TBh8yFNMwTriyvf98

So, suffice to say, not only do numerous agencies and authorities don't follow that unwritten rule, it appears the vast majority don't.

SignBridge

It seems to me as a matter of principle that the express type lanes should be to the left and staffed lanes to the right. I don't understand why some toll agencies would do the reverse.

bzakharin

Quote from: SignBridge on January 23, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
It seems to me as a matter of principle that the express type lanes should be to the left and staffed lanes to the right. I don't understand why some toll agencies would do the reverse.
It makes some sense for entrance and exit ramp tolls (and bridges) that have multiple approaches to the toll plaza or destinations after it. Not so much for mainline tolls.

DrSmith

Quote from: bzakharin on January 23, 2021, 09:02:59 PM
Quote from: SignBridge on January 23, 2021, 08:07:34 PM
It makes some sense for entrance and exit ramp tolls (and bridges) that have multiple approaches to the toll plaza or destinations after it. Not so much for mainline tolls.

Way back the Parkway had signs (may still have them) with different signals for types of lanes. It was probably mostly missed as lanes end and everyone is still barreling into the plaza and slaloming to what looks like the shortest lane

Also when ez-pass is a lane option as a lane through a toll booth, it isn't the same as an express. Some of those places have gates to make you slow down to 5 or 10 mph still. Additionally, trucks prefer to go to the right so they are not trying to accelerate slowly in the middle of all the traffic. That might be another consideration that was made about where to locate them.

On the Turnpike, at the old Interchange 1, the ez-pass lanes were in the middle because those were useless lanes. The booths were built for two collectors on one island. In the larger plazas like Interchange 1, that meant you one person for the drivers side on one lane and and another for the passenger side of the next lane. So those lanes weren't very convenient or usable and generally operated for ez-pass. For the southbound side particularly, those happened to be much more towards the left as the was an addition to the right made later (after the original plaza was built) with 5 additional lanes with a single collector on each island servicing the driver side.

roadman65

The original Del Mem Br plaza was left automatic and right attended.

Anyway this is Parkway and yes EZ Pass did change things for sure.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.