News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEVIN_224

Heading east on that road last September, I couldn't even tell when I reached the Nassau county line. I did see the signs at the Nassau/Suffolk county line in both directions, however.

Alps

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 20, 2014, 08:12:09 PM
Quote from: nyratk1 on March 25, 2014, 12:57:23 AM
Not all that important but Suffolk County finally posted CR 56 shields on Victory Avenue in Brookhaven. It's been signed like that on paper for a while but I never saw posted shields for as long as I've been aware.
I actually saw those back in November 2013 around Horse Block Road.

On another topic, did anybody notice that on NY 22, there are no signs telling you when you've entered either NYC or Mount Vernon?

Makes me wonder if NY 22 is state or city maintained inside the Bronx. The old sign on US 1 was definitely a state job, but that's 1, not 22, and maintenance can change over time. Both NYC and NYS would have reason to put up an "Entering New York" or "Bronx" sign.

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on April 21, 2014, 08:12:01 PM
Makes me wonder if NY 22 is state or city maintained inside the Bronx.

I know for a fact that it is city maintained in Mount Vernon. Westchester County DPW map confirms this.

As for in The Bronx, I can only assume it is city maintained - NYSDOT's website does not show it on their map of state roads in Bronx County. Apparently, however, some of US 1 in The Bronx is secretly actually US 22. :pan:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

D-Dey65

Quote from: dgolub on April 21, 2014, 08:40:49 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 20, 2014, 08:12:09 PM
On another topic, did anybody notice that on NY 22, there are no signs telling you when you've entered either NYC or Mount Vernon?

No, but it doesn't surprise me.  There is no signage when you enter Queens on Northern Boulevard (NY 25A), and there's no signage entering either Queens or Nassau on Union Turnpike (NY 25C).  In fact, for a while, there was no signage when you entered Queens on the Long Island Expressway (I-495).
Funny, because I always thought street name signs and "NYC LAW: No Turn On Red" signs were reasonable substitutes. I certainly remember there being no NYC Border signage on the L.I.E. I didn't see those until the mid-1970's and until that time I though the New York City-Nassau County line stretched as far out as the New Hyde Park Road interchange (Hey, I was a little kid back then. Don't judge me).

KEVIN_224

Google Maps seems to put the Queens/Nassau County border in the middle of Exit 32 for I-495 (L.I.E.).

Duke87

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 25, 2014, 08:41:59 AM
Google Maps seems to put the Queens/Nassau County border in the middle of Exit 32 for I-495 (L.I.E.).

For good reason, since that is in fact where it is!

SignBridge

The county line is slightly east of exit 32. Maybe a quarter-mile east of the Little Neck Pkwy. overpass.

D-Dey65

Yeah, just east of where 260th Street and Hewlett Street end at the service roads, around where the original westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp were before they were set further away from the Little Neck Parkway bridge.

Duke87

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 28, 2014, 03:16:59 PM
Yeah, just east of where 260th Street and Hewlett Street end at the service roads, around where the original westbound off-ramp and eastbound on-ramp were before they were set further away from the Little Neck Parkway bridge.

Hence how the line is now in the middle of exit 32. The westbound offramp and eastbound onramp are squarely in Nassau county. The line matches up with the western edge of the golf course immediately south of the highway there.

Mergingtraffic

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Mergingtraffic

speaking of....LI & Queens have been replacing glorious old signs with half-baked new ones.  Is this the same on Staten Island?  Any non-reflective button copy left?

I remember one on Glen St and NY-440, also some on I-278 in Brooklyn by Atlantic Ave and Exit 28 BBridge area. GSV has them there in October 2013. Anyone know?

Duke87

Quote from: doofy103 on May 12, 2014, 10:08:32 PM
speaking of....LI & Queens have been replacing glorious old signs with half-baked new ones.  Is this the same on Staten Island?  Any non-reflective button copy left?

This sign ("Todt Hill Rd →") is still standing as of last week. So there's one.

This sign on the West Shore is also still kicking last I checked.

As for Brooklyn, yep, the BQE still has a bunch through downtown in both directions.

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times: De Blasio Looks Toward Sweden for Road Safety

QuoteSTOCKHOLM – Across this Scandinavian capital of graceful cyclists and speed-regulating shrubbery, cabbies who drive Volvos and pedestrians who look over their shoulders before jaywalking, a simple figure rules:

QuoteZero. It is the number of people permitted to die in Swedish traffic, according to national law.

QuoteFor nearly two decades, every rising barrier and reduced speed limit has been tailored to this seemingly impossible goal, of eradicating traffic deaths and serious injuries, and its guiding premise: Every inch of street space must anticipate, and accommodate, human error.

QuoteWhile roadway deaths have not been eliminated, the country's rate of fatalities has been whittled down to an international low. Now its approach faces perhaps its stiffest test: the streets of New York City.

QuoteIn a bid to reverse generations of roadway unruliness, Mayor Bill de Blasio has put the strategy, known as Vision Zero, at the forefront of his transportation and policing agendas, targeting 2024 as the first year with no traffic deaths.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

And the reason this works in Sweden but won't in NY: NY pedestrians never look over their shoulders.  And that's really the most important factor.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kkt

Ya look over yer shoulder, the driver knows he can cut ya off...

Duke87

QuoteThe result: a hump every 20 meters in some neighborhoods, and some very slow trips home.

A veteran taxi driver, Nabil Bellar, 42, said he had never been asked to speed up.

"They say, 'I have time, you don't need to stress,' " he said of his typical passenger, as he waited outside Stockholm Central Station.

This right here is why this same concept will not work in New York. New Yorkers are the last people in the world to relax and slow down, and attempts to get people to do so only enrage them. Likewise, New York is a city where everyone acts as though the rules don't apply to them, and does everything they can to beat the system.

Given all this, the concepts proposed are not really compatible with the prevailing local attitude. New York is not Stockholm. De Blasio is a delusional asshole.

I've said this before, I'll say it again: you want to increase traffic safety in New York? Find ways to reduce the frequency of conflicts. Retime traffic signals so drivers don't hit a red light every other block. Use protected left turn phases in pedestrian heavy areas to prevent drivers from making rushed turns into the crosswalk, or prohibit left turns outright. Rethink the concept of alternate side parking, which forces people to move their cars when they have no need to use them. Add curb bumpouts at crosswalks so pedestrians have a shorter crossing distance.

And start slicing off the fingers of people you catch using their phones while driving. Such distractions are a bigger threat to safety than any other behavior out there.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Duke87 on May 15, 2014, 12:05:23 AM
Retime traffic signals so drivers don't hit a red light every other block.

In New York City, the traffic lights are actually timed correctly, at least when I was last there.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

SignBridge

Traffic lights in NYC on main streets are timed in such a way that you either win or lose. If you hit it right, you can get a succession of green lights. I once got 9 greens in a row going 40 mph on Queens Blvd years ago. But if you hit it wrong, you get many reds like the poster said above.

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on May 15, 2014, 10:24:48 PM
Traffic lights in NYC on main streets are timed in such a way that you either win or lose. If you hit it right, you can get a succession of green lights. I once got 9 greens in a row going 40 mph on Queens Blvd years ago. But if you hit it wrong, you get many reds like the poster said above.
That's confusing. NYC = Manhattan. You meant to say "Outer Boroughs."

Mergingtraffic

Driving in Harlem I got all the greens and was going faster than the FDR.

Quote from: Duke87 on May 12, 2014, 11:54:10 PM

Quote from: doofy103 on May 12, 2014, 10:08:32 PM

This sign ("Todt Hill Rd →") is still standing as of last week. So there's one.

This sign on the West Shore is also still kicking last I checked.

As for Brooklyn, yep, the BQE still has a bunch through downtown in both directions.

I remember on the BELT EB, exit 19 had old signs that used to have an interstate shield covered with NY-878 shields. Was interstate was it? Still there or gone?

SignBridge

Alps, I think the traffic signals in all of NYC's boroughs work similarly on many main streets, whether it's Manhattan or Queens or wherever. Anybody knows different, please correct me.

SignBridge

Doofy, I think it was I-78 or I-878, but I'm not positive. 

Duke87

Quote from: doofy103 on May 16, 2014, 11:29:11 AM
Driving in Harlem I got all the greens and was going faster than the FDR.

Manhattan avenues have well-timed signals, but they are the exception, not the rule as far as NYC goes. It is easy to coordinate them since they are one-way. Two way avenues (Park Ave, Broadway north of 59th) are not nearly as well coordinated. On these and other thoroughfares throughout the five boroughs, you are likely to hit a lot of red lights.

The problem is that many major roads have a signal at every intersection. If the blocks are short blocks, you can easily end up with a signal every 250 feet. Achieving good two-way progression in this situation is difficult since you cannot rely on resonant cycles. What you have to do is convert the roads to one way, or find a way to reduce the number of signals.

QuoteI remember on the BELT EB, exit 19 had old signs that used to have an interstate shield covered with NY-878 shields. Was interstate was it? Still there or gone?

There is still some button copy in that area but I don't know of any signs still around with an interstate shield greened out. In that spot I suspect it would have been I-78.

SidS1045

Quote from: Duke87 on May 16, 2014, 06:54:20 PM
Manhattan avenues have well-timed signals, but they are the exception, not the rule as far as NYC goes. It is easy to coordinate them since they are one-way.

IIRC the one-way avenues are timed for a vehicle traveling 28mph.  (City's default speed limit is 30.)  If you stick to that speed you can literally drive almost the entire length of Manhattan Island without stopping for a red light.  I was once in a cab which drove up Madison Avenue from the 20's to the 90's without stopping once.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: Duke87 on May 15, 2014, 12:05:23 AM

This right here is why this same concept will not work in New York. New Yorkers are the last people in the world to relax and slow down, and attempts to get people to do so only enrage them.

Yeah I don't get that.  In CT, I was looking over the US-6 plans at the start of the 2-mile expresway portion with CT-66 and also the end of I-384 plans as well.

Both stated as a negative with the current configuration:  "high speed ramps" or "high speed turns"

Where I-384 becomes US-6/US-44 they envision the end to be a LOW-SPEED BLVD and CT-66 & US-66, they want to put in a traffic circle to force people to slow.

What is wrong with fast moving traffic?  What is wrong with getting from point A to B as quickly as possible?   Why not have high speed ramps?

Meanwhile on I-678 they are widening by the GCP and I read nothing about slowing people down, or bike lanes etc.  The project is to improve traffic flow plain and simple.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.