News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
I've said before that I'm glad Kentucky's state employees aren't unionized. I don't think a union would have too much success in getting much accomplished, since budget decisions such as pay increases are proposed by the governor and enacted by the legislature. Even if a union negotiated a raise, the legislature could refuse to fund it.
That's definitely different than how it works in NY.  Here, pay is a contract item negotiated between the union and the governor.  If the budget from the legislature/governor can't be met with the existing pay rate, a mass layoff happens (or a new contract, but there are enough senior people who would sooner vote themselves a pay raise than keep less senior workers employed, so a new contract is not likely to happen again like it did in 2011).

If someone loses a state job in NY due to layoffs/job elimination, their given priority over someone outside of the civil service system for open-competitive positions, but that's it.  And open-competitive positions only open up when the governor is up for election (though many have been vacant for years).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Quote from: vdeane on July 13, 2014, 05:40:07 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2014, 04:53:51 PM
I've said before that I'm glad Kentucky's state employees aren't unionized. I don't think a union would have too much success in getting much accomplished, since budget decisions such as pay increases are proposed by the governor and enacted by the legislature. Even if a union negotiated a raise, the legislature could refuse to fund it.
That's definitely different than how it works in NY.  Here, pay is a contract item negotiated between the union and the governor.  If the budget from the legislature/governor can't be met with the existing pay rate, a mass layoff happens (or a new contract, but there are enough senior people who would sooner vote themselves a pay raise than keep less senior workers employed, so a new contract is not likely to happen again like it did in 2011).

I dunno. Just because pay is defined by legislative action doesn't make the union useless. You can still endorse candidates based on their support of the interests of state employees. You can still threaten to go on strike if the legislature doesn't grant you raises.

Nonetheless, state politics are also an important factor. The state employee unions in New York can be effective because the people of New York will be sympathetic to them if their demands are realistic, and in the event of a labor dispute a lot of people will blame their elected officials for it. But Kentucky is a far less union-friendly state. If there is a reason a state employees union would be ineffective, it is because the court of public opinion is unlikely to be in their favor, and elected officials will be more likely to gain popularity by fighting the union than by negotiating with them.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

CANALLER

To clarify a few misconceptions:

C.L.:   The days of civil service unions running N.Y.S. are long gone, unless you consider having a choice of accepting 0%-0%-0% + 9 days' furlough + a 20% increase in health insurance contributions + yearly increases in taxes or losing your job a good deal.  When you have a governor that has no competition as far as the eye can see, he can dictate his terms.

Val:  There aren't any mass layoffs when contracts expire.  You just continue under the existing terms, and then back-date any adjustments whenever it's settled.  (usually 12-18 months)     You'll find out first hand next April.

Duke:  The public doesn't support us one bit, in part fuelled by the ignorance of the paper and other peoples' comments.  The perception amongst anyone who isn't a state employee is that we're underworked, overpaid and have golden benefits, all at their expense, while they have much less themselves.

cl94

Quote from: CANALLER on July 27, 2014, 12:59:25 AM
To clarify a few misconceptions:

C.L.:   The days of civil service unions running N.Y.S. are long gone, unless you consider having a choice of accepting 0%-0%-0% + 9 days' furlough + a 20% increase in health insurance contributions + yearly increases in taxes or losing your job a good deal.  When you have a governor that has no competition as far as the eye can see, he can dictate his terms.

Val:  There aren't any mass layoffs when contracts expire.  You just continue under the existing terms, and then back-date any adjustments whenever it's settled.  (usually 12-18 months)     You'll find out first hand next April.

Duke:  The public doesn't support us one bit, in part fuelled by the ignorance of the paper and other peoples' comments.  The perception amongst anyone who isn't a state employee is that we're underworked, overpaid and have golden benefits, all at their expense, while they have much less themselves.

Of course the civil service unions run the state. The teachers' unions get whatever they want. Why do you think the teachers here are among the highest paid in the nation? The LIRR almost-strike resulted in the unions getting most of what they wanted, with a significant raise even though they were already the highest-paid railroad workers in the country. We know that the City is run by unions and I'm pretty convinced that the Buffalo and Albany areas are as well, having lived in both.

As to public support of unions, Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse are more than supportive due to their blue collar environment. Right to work will never happen here. Just suggesting that I don't want to work for a union shop gets people up in arms.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

CANALLER

C.L.:  The vast majority of teachers are NOT state employees.  They're employees of their local districts, and each districts' residents have the opportunity to vote down the school's budget each and every year.  The railroad employees are in a better position because if there's an impasse, the feds can step in and impose a settlement.  The downstate area can't function without a rail system,as there's no room for a million more vehicles on the expressways, nor are there a million extra parking spaces.  Before you think the railroad's employees are overpaid, take a look at the M.T.A. brass's compensation packages and ask yourself what value those political hacks add to the organization for the huge sums of cash they're given.   

You are correct; N.Y.S. is nowhere near becoming a right-to-work state.  But that doesn't means state employees must join a union, because they don't have to.  Civil Service is NOT a union shop, but rather an agency shop.

And if you don't think the public hates us, come out on my crew for a summer and listen to the B.S. we hear every single night.  The public wants perfectly smooth, snow free, toll free autobahns 24-365 that cost them nothing.

Val:  If you take a Throughway job, you're still a P.E.F. employee.  You're just in a different bargaining unit with a different contract.  It doesn't really matter anyway, as negotiations with multiple unions are a lowest common denominator game.  Whatever the first group settles for, no one else gets a penny more.

vdeane

And dictate the governor does.  My boss is worried that the current PEF president will do something stupid, like trying to push through a contract that includes large raises and big benefits, provoking Cuomo into demanding large cuts from agencies that can only be fulfilled by mass layoffs (of course, he won't use that word, he'll pass the blame to the agencies).  The union has no problem with this because the majority of its members care only for themselves and their agencies and don't care about less senior employees (also massive corruption and cut-throat workplace politics; the current PEF president was elected only because she essentially bribed people).  This happened in 2011 and was only averted because the people affected picketed the union and forced a second contract vote, but the current president would never allow such a thing.

Teachers have a pretty crappy job all around; if the union controlled everything, don't you think they'd have better conditions and better pay?  Many teachers have to work a second job in the summers just to live, essentially work overtime every day, and have difficult working conditions, including dealing with parental harassment when their "little angel" gets a grade that isn't an A or gets reprimanded in class.  Teachers in private charter schools have it even worse and make even less, and many of the best teachers are leaving in droves, lowering the education quality for our kids.

People in private industry are being exploited left and right, and rather than fight for decent working conditions, they would rather drag us down too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

And here I was, thinking "PEF" stood for "private engineering firm" . . .
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mtantillo

http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/crossing-info/e-zpass

Niagara Falls Bridge Commission to accept E-ZPass starting August 11, 2014. At Lewiston-Queenston and Rainbow Bridges, E-ZPass will read first, only if no E-ZPass is read will it look for a Nexus Toll account or Express Pass. On the Whirlpool Bridge, Nexus Toll accounts will be debited first (since it is required to scan the card to get onto the bridge), and if the Nexus card doesn't have a NFBC toll account established, or if there is a toll account without sufficient fare, then E-ZPass will be charged.

In other big NFBC news, the Canada-bound Whirlpool Bridge will be completely closed for several weeks in September and October, while they expand the Canadian Plaza to 2 lanes. Posted detour is via the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, which will have its Nexus hours changed to match those of the closed Whirlpool Bridge. They already successfully reconfigured the lanes to allow those with Nexus cards to bypass the regular lane queues by using the truck lane.

More info: http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/news-links2/news-links/389-auto-generate-from-title

cl94

Quote from: mtantillo on July 28, 2014, 06:27:57 PM

Niagara Falls Bridge Commission to accept E-ZPass starting August 11, 2014. At Lewiston-Queenston and Rainbow Bridges, E-ZPass will read first, only if no E-ZPass is read will it look for a Nexus Toll account or Express Pass. On the Whirlpool Bridge, Nexus Toll accounts will be debited first (since it is required to scan the card to get onto the bridge), and if the Nexus card doesn't have a NFBC toll account established, or if there is a toll account without sufficient fare, then E-ZPass will be charged.

In other big NFBC news, the Canada-bound Whirlpool Bridge will be completely closed for several weeks in September and October, while they expand the Canadian Plaza to 2 lanes. Posted detour is via the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge, which will have its Nexus hours changed to match those of the closed Whirlpool Bridge. They already successfully reconfigured the lanes to allow those with Nexus cards to bypass the regular lane queues by using the truck lane.

More info: http://www.niagarafallsbridges.com/index.php/news-links2/news-links/389-auto-generate-from-title

About time. Won't stop me from detouring to the Peace Bridge to avoid the waits, but it'll certainly be nice for my weekend jaunts to Niagara Falls, as we could use the Rainbow Bridge without cash.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

mtantillo

Quote from: cl94 on July 28, 2014, 06:51:50 PM

About time. Won't stop me from detouring to the Peace Bridge to avoid the waits, but it'll certainly be nice for my weekend jaunts to Niagara Falls, as we could use the Rainbow Bridge without cash.

Before I had Nexus, I would usually do the Peace Bridge into Canada because it was annoying to have to pay cash at the other crossings. Coming back, I would take whatever was convenient. NFBC website has wait times for all bridges, so if you have a Smartphone (with a data plan for the other country), you can check wait times as you approach.

cl94

Quote from: mtantillo on July 29, 2014, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: cl94 on July 28, 2014, 06:51:50 PM

Before I had Nexus, I would usually do the Peace Bridge into Canada because it was annoying to have to pay cash at the other crossings. Coming back, I would take whatever was convenient. NFBC website has wait times for all bridges, so if you have a Smartphone (with a data plan for the other country), you can check wait times as you approach.

I use the bridge app all the time to check times. Greatest thing. Spending time in Buffalo, I've discovered that the wait in Lewiston is usually twice that of elsewhere, mainly because there are fewer customs lanes. Even going from UB to Toronto, it's often quicker to go down to the Peace Bridge and fly through customs than pop up to Lewiston and wait at both toll booths and customs for a combined 1-2 hours. During Bills games, the opposite is true and I avoid the Peace Bridge like the plague.

J N Winkler

I discovered earlier today that the Thruway has now joined NYSDOT in putting contract documents (including construction plans and proposals) online:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/business/contractors/documents/index.shtml

Materials are currently available back to the letting of March 12, 2014.  Despite that, however, I think this page has been set up only very recently, in the last month or so, and the older material has been uploaded in arrears to fulfil a promise to keep older contracts available free of charge until six months after letting.

Edit:  It is as I suspected; online plans debuted on July 16, 2014.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

vdeane

Is it just me, or are the signs in the top plans in FHWA font?  I guess I was right about the Thruway dropping Clearview.

There's some good stuff in there.  Looks like a new rest area and a new parking area on I-90.

J N Winkler

Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2014, 06:39:19 PMIs it just me, or are the signs in the top plans in FHWA font?  I guess I was right about the Thruway dropping Clearview.

This contract is D214331.  Looking at the plans, here is what I see:

*  Sheets 4-6 have sign sketches, all of which show the signs with Clearview.  Note 2 (all sheets) says that the new sign panels will be furnished by the Thruway Authority.  (Are the originals already Clearview?)

*  Sheet 12 has a schedule table for signs that are to be relocated.  The signs shown in the accompanying sketches all use Series E Modified.

The Thruway may very well be getting ready to dump Clearview, but I don't think that conclusion can be reached solely on the basis of this plans set.  Could they be treading water until FHWA actually pulls the trigger on revocation of the Clearview interim approval?

cl94

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 31, 2014, 08:41:55 PM
Quote from: vdeane on July 31, 2014, 06:39:19 PMIs it just me, or are the signs in the top plans in FHWA font?  I guess I was right about the Thruway dropping Clearview.

*  Sheets 4-6 have sign sketches, all of which show the signs with Clearview.  Note 2 (all sheets) says that the new sign panels will be furnished by the Thruway Authority.  (Are the originals already Clearview?)

*  Sheet 12 has a schedule table for signs that are to be relocated.  The signs shown in the accompanying sketches all use Series E Modified.

The Thruway may very well be getting ready to dump Clearview, but I don't think that conclusion can be reached solely on the basis of this plans set.  Could they be treading water until FHWA actually pulls the trigger on revocation of the Clearview interim approval?

NYSTA has been pretty interesting with their use of Clearview. One of the first signs in Buffalo using the font was replaced at the same time as another, located 1/4 mile west and part of the same contract, that uses Series EM. Since they did the full shift over, everything but numbers within shields has been Clearview. The rest area plans are pretty interesting in that regard. "Text Stop" (formerly known as service/parking area) signs installed within the past couple years are all-Clearview. The signs specified in the contract are E Modified. Again, it doesn't mean anything, but it certainly raises an eyebrow.

On another somewhat-related note, NYSDOT has joined every other state in using Series C for 3di shields. The new BGSes on NY 33 at I-90 have this style for I-290 shields. Regarding these installations, they new signs only feature route numbers, East/West, and control city. Thruway is not mentioned.

PHLBOS

Quote from: cl94 on July 31, 2014, 09:02:47 PMThe rest area plans are pretty interesting in that regard. "Text Stop" (formerly known as service/parking area) signs installed within the past couple years are all-Clearview. The signs specified in the contract are E Modified. Again, it doesn't mean anything, but it certainly raises an eyebrow.
If those signs are similar to ones I've seen along I-684; clearly the fabricator screwed up in using Clearview.  Since the lettering for those signs are in ALL CAPS; Clearview is not supposed to be used at all.  Yes, I'm aware that many agencies ignore that FHWA tid-bit; but such restrictions still exist nonetheless.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cl94

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 05, 2014, 08:32:51 AM
Quote from: cl94 on July 31, 2014, 09:02:47 PMThe rest area plans are pretty interesting in that regard. "Text Stop" (formerly known as service/parking area) signs installed within the past couple years are all-Clearview. The signs specified in the contract are E Modified. Again, it doesn't mean anything, but it certainly raises an eyebrow.
If those signs are similar to ones I've seen along I-684; clearly the fabricator screwed up in using Clearview.  Since the lettering for those signs are in ALL CAPS; Clearview is not supposed to be used at all.  Yes, I'm aware that many agencies ignore that FHWA tid-bit; but such restrictions still exist nonetheless.

They are the exact same as those NYSDOT installed on I-86 and I-684, in addition to other highways. Only difference is the Clearview. Slightly more compliant than the Clearview "exit only" tabs on I-90.

storm2k

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 31, 2014, 08:41:55 PM

If I read these plans correctly, they want to move two existing signs back a ways. I don't think they're fabricating new signs for the ones being moved. Those signs are already Series E(M) so that's why they show that way.

Also interesting is that they're including a '09 MUTCD compliant left tab on the exit 12 panel for the NET, but NOT the exit 10 one.

route17fan

Speaking of plans...

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262671

D262671 will replace a section of the Robert Moses Parkway with a new "Riverway"
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on August 06, 2014, 08:05:44 AM
Speaking of plans...

https://www.dot.ny.gov/doing-business/opportunities/const-contract-docs?p_d_id=D262671

D262671 will replace a section of the Robert Moses Parkway with a new "Riverway"

From the plans, it looks like they're mainly taking out the grade separation and replacing it with a roundabout. Knowing how people in Buffalo treat roundabouts, that might create some problems. They still haven't stopped complaining about the ones on NY 240.

route17fan

Uh oh. Given NYSDOT's pure love of roundabouts, there are many more coming I'm sure.   :no:

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on August 06, 2014, 08:19:41 AM
Uh oh. Given NYSDOT's pure love of roundabouts, there are many more coming I'm sure.   :no:

I think they're great, but people in Buffalo are...different. I can't imagine how negative the reaction would be if a much-needed SPUI was installed. Really depends on the neighborhood. Those in the southern part of Erie County are fine with them, but move north of there and it's a mess. The double roundabout that replaced a nasty intersection on NY 240 continues to confuse people, even though the signage is clear and abundant. I've seen strange things at the ones in Niagara Falls and on the UB campus.

route17fan

Very good point. I have family in WNY (in Olean) and those types of intersections are not as prolific as in eastern NY around Albany - where they seem to be a dime a dozen  :-D - the NY 67 corridor with something like 5 or 6 in a row comes to mind ;)

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on August 06, 2014, 12:54:09 PM
Very good point. I have family in WNY (in Olean) and those types of intersections are not as prolific as in eastern NY around Albany - where they seem to be a dime a dozen  :-D - the NY 67 corridor with something like 5 or 6 in a row comes to mind ;)

NY 67 has 8 in/around Malta. 5 of those are in ~3/4 mile. Leave one and you're queueing for the next. 2 in southern Warren County, a few more in Malta and Round Lake, and seemingly more in Albany County than I can count.

vdeane

Malta loves roundabouts.  There are 11 in the town.  I think they're even getting more.

The northern part of the Robert Moses State Parkway is also being ripped up entirely south of NY 104/NY 18/NY 18F: http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/x1927887621/Parkway-design-posted

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.