News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Times I Wish I Had My Camera

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 14, 2009, 10:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMattFromTexas

Today i was in Colorado City, Tx and just past I-20 i saw the first county road shield i've ever seen, i forgot the number but if i could've had my camera i would've taken a picture, cause it had bullet holes(common in Texas) and it was faded. Theres been more times i wished i had my camera. im not sure if theres already this topic (i hope not). anyone had this experience?
BigMatt

FLRoads

Duke87

I take my camera with me everywhere.

Nonetheless, many photo-ops on the road are missed since I'm not about to attempt to try to pull it out and take a picture when I'm driving on the highway at 65 mph. Just like you don't pull out your cellphone and start texting while you're driving.
The vast majority of my road photos were snapped either from the passenger seat or on foot. The few I have from behind the wheel were all taken when the car was stopped, either at a red light, in traffic, or on a quiet side street.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Michael

I ALWAYS take a camera with me on trips.  I also make sure I have an extra card, charged batteries, and a charger. (or two!)

BigMattFromTexas

I think im gonna start takin' my camera where ever i go :-D

Ian

It seems the times before I even had a digital camera and took road photos was when I took all my trips. I took a trip to SF Bay area and Florida, but never had a camera!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

florida

Definitely when I was younger. But the most  :banghead: moment was back in '03 when there was a blue US 90 shield on Phillips Road in Tallahassee....which went to sign cemetary because of construction nearby.
So many roads...so little time.

Truvelo

Sometimes I've traveled without a camera and saw something worth taking a picture of but then I remember my cellphone has a camera so I got the picture in the end. Just a thought...
Speed limits limit life

Chris

My cellphone makes crappy pics, so I don't even use that.  :-D

I have my camera with me everyday though. Sometimes I have to travel for work unexpectedly, and I might encounter interesting situations on my way.

Bryant5493

^^ Yeah, I've taken cell phone pics and video -- very subpar.

I have a smaller camera, that goes with me everywhere. The video quality's poor -- I've dropped it a couple hundred times. :-D But I carry my other camera, that I use for roadgeeking, more often than not.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Roadgeek Adam

The one time I get to be on old NJ 174 is the day I decide I don't wanna bring my camera :(

Note:Old NJ 174 is US 1 on the freeway
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Alps

Recently: Unplanned trip on the Penna Tpk., noticing several signs I don't have and button copy on the local PA Turnpike building!  Gotta go back...  Then there are the old mileposts on the NJ Turnpike Western Spur.  I hate paying for roads just to take photos.

Revive 755

There were a few times I wish I had a digital camera instead of trying to save pictures for really worthwhile items - at the time, mostly non-road. Quite a few items got away:

* Shortly after MO 370 was completed, missed a WB US 370 shield near the I-70 interchange.

* Signs for the MO 94/MO 115 intersection in St. Charles.

* The old, black guide signs on the US 40 freeway through St. Louis.

* Closeups for many old guide signs on/near I-44 through St. Louis, especially those where the outline for former US 66 shields were visible.

* An assembly at one of the IL 143/IL 159/IL 157 intersections in Edwardsville that used the old, state outline route shields.

* Non-cutout I-364 and I-370 shields on the Katy Trail near St. Charles, MO (the signs were placed by the MO Department of Natural Resources).

* The old MO 47 Quiver River bridge.

* More views of many other since-demolished bridges.

* Many since-abandoned railroad crossings, including one with a triangular five tracks sign.

Even with a digital camera, I still have missed several signs.  I can't wait for one of those "life cameras" that one wears and takes a picture every 15 seconds, plus the probably required 10,000 terabyte hard drive, for those times I can't aim a separate camera, or for those signs that I'm not interested in today but could want to have a photo available for in the future.

Bickendan

Went up to Mt St Helens today. Meant to get pics of WA 504 and I-5 signs back into Portland, but the combination of a lovely sunburn-induced drowsiness and a yellow jacket sting killed that idea. Good thing I wasn't driving.

Oh, and yellow jackets can kindly go to hell.

agentsteel53

how long were those black signs on the US-40 freeway up for?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

njroadhorse

Quote from: bigmattToday i was in Colorado City, Tx and just past I-20 i saw the first county road shield i've ever seen, i forgot the number but if i could've had my camera i would've taken a picture, cause it had bullet holes(common in Texas) and it was faded.
I've never heard about one in Colorado City, but I know there's been a CR 201 shield in Winkler County for quite some time.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

hbelkins

Oh goodness. I wish they'd have had digital cameras when I was a kid. That way I could have captured cutouts in Kentucky and a few I remember seeing in North Carolina, lots of now-gone cutouts in Virginia, and lots of other good stuff.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

when did Kentucky stop using cutouts?  I've heard 1973; is that correct?

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

Not sure. I can never remember any new cutouts being posted in my lifetime (I'm 47, will be 48 in December) but I remember some cutouts surviving probably up to around 1970 or later.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

some likely survived much longer ... Hell, the "TO US 60" cutout is still around!

I've heard somewhere (was it from Michael Summa? Robert Edgar?  I don't remember) that Kentucky started going with the 24" squares in 1963, at junctions, while reassurance markers were kept as cutouts until 1973. 

jake@aaroads.com

BigMattFromTexas

It was so beautiful there where three more faded signs right beside it.

deathtopumpkins

I never have this problem anymore, as I got a new phone with a 5.0 megapixel camera... in fact it seems more like a camera with phone capabilities than vice-versa.  :D
Only problem is that it has no zoom feature. :crazy:
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.