News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Were SLOW and REDUCED SPEED ever in the MUTCD?

Started by cpzilliacus, July 24, 2012, 11:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Anyone recall the word SLOW (in a yellow diamond sign) and REDUCED SPEED (in a regulatory rectangle)?

Have not seen either for a long time.  Last time I saw a REDUCED SPEED sign might have been on I-95 approaching the Delaware Turnpike tolls before the barrier was reconstructed to allow for high-speed open-road tolling down the middle.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

both are commonly found in Massachusetts.  lots of SLOW signs in Boston. 

a brief glance at the 1935 MUTCD shows that SLOW is absent. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Alps

REDUCED SPEED AHEAD is in the regulatory rectangle. I seem to recall REDUCED SPEED in a warning diamond. "SLOW" is covered by the MUTCD language that allows you to use any text on a warning sign.

roadfro

I took a cursory look yesterday at all old MUTCDs from present version back through the 1971 edition, and could not find any images of either sign.

The use of "SLOW" on a warning sign never made any sense to me. What exactly is the "slow" I should be looking out for...?

EDIT: Clarified that I looked through the more recent versions, not the pre-1971 manuals.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on July 25, 2012, 11:59:33 PM
REDUCED SPEED AHEAD is in the regulatory rectangle. I seem to recall REDUCED SPEED in a warning diamond. "SLOW" is covered by the MUTCD language that allows you to use any text on a warning sign.

I definitely recall seeing REDUCED SPEED in a rectangle.  Used to be found in Maryland, but were gone by the 1980's.  As I suggested above, the last time I saw them was on the Delaware Turnpike, approaching the mainline barrier, but that was a few years ago.

Agreed regarding SLOW. The ones I recall had nothing else - just SLOW (might make sense to post a lower speed limit instead of a SLOW sign).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadfro on July 26, 2012, 02:31:08 AM
I took a cursory look yesterday at all old MUTCDs through the 1971 edition, and could not find any images of either sign.

Never saw it in any (recent) MUTCD.

Quote from: roadfro on July 26, 2012, 02:31:08 AMThe use of "SLOW" on a warning sign never made any sense to me. What exactly is the "slow" I should be looking out for...?

Slow-moving traffic, perhaps?  "Congested Area" might make sense.

Pedestrians?

Bikes?

I agree with your point. 

I am not especially in favor of either of them, but at one time they were rather common in some states.

mjb2002

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 26, 2012, 11:59:39 AM
Quote from: Steve on July 25, 2012, 11:59:33 PM

I definitely recall seeing REDUCED SPEED in a rectangle.  Used to be found in Maryland, but were gone by the 1980's.  As I suggested above, the last time I saw them was on the Delaware Turnpike, approaching the mainline barrier, but that was a few years ago.

Agreed regarding SLOW. The ones I recall had nothing else - just SLOW (might make sense to post a lower speed limit instead of a SLOW sign).

You are right. REDUCED SPEED AHEAD was a white rectangle, though whether the sign was part of the Regulatory Series or Warning Series was debatable prior to December 16, 2009.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

DRMan

Massachusetts used to have a lot of these (in warning diamonds):

GO
CHILDREN
   SLOW

Often with CHILDREN in a larger font.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: DRMan on July 31, 2012, 09:34:46 PM
Massachusetts used to have a lot of these (in warning diamonds):

GO
CHILDREN
   SLOW

Often with CHILDREN in a larger font.

Still has a lot of those. In fact there's a particularly ancient one on a side street adjacent to the bridge project I'm working on.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadman

Reduced Speed Ahead as a regulatory sign (black on white rectangle) appeared in the MUTCD (R2-5a) from the 1971 edition until the 2003 edition.  Beginning with the 2003 edition, the R2-5a regulatory sign has been replaced with the Advance Speed Zone warning sign (W3-5 series).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: roadman on August 01, 2012, 01:46:42 PM
Reduced Speed Ahead as a regulatory sign (black on white rectangle) appeared in the MUTCD (R2-5a) from the 1971 edition until the 2003 edition.  Beginning with the 2003 edition, the R2-5a regulatory sign has been replaced with the Advacne Speed Zone warning sign (W3-5 series).

Thanks!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.