News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Poor intersection Design and Signage Contribute to Accident?

Started by theline, December 27, 2023, 11:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

On 12/22 a fatal Granger, IN accident may be contributed to by poor intersection design and signage. A car was travelling north on the IN 331 (Capital Ave.) expressway and continued north through the IN 23 intersection onto Clover Trail, a local road that makes a sharp right turn just 125' past the intersection. The driver failed to negotiate the turn, and the car struck several trees and a house.

The story from WNDU TV: https://www.wndu.com/2023/12/23/man-dies-after-car-runs-off-road-hits-house-granger/

The GSV from the vantage point of the driver as they approached the intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7363433,-86.1517673,3a,75y,336.96h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1simWnZZ8aXAAZv4ujCRag8w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The expressway has a speed limit of 45 approaching the intersection, though farther south the limit is 55. It's not unusual for traffic to approach in the range of 55-65 MPH. It should be noted that IN 331 ends at this intersection, but there is no signage to that effect. There is also no warning that the expressway ends and no warning signs indicating the right turn just past the intersection. (See the GSV.)

Brandon

If these are common occurrences, then there is a problem with the intersection.  If it's just this one, it's a problem with an inattentive driver.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cjw2001

Quote from: theline on December 27, 2023, 11:16:05 PM
On 12/22 a fatal Granger, IN accident may be contributed to by poor intersection design and signage. A car was travelling north on the IN 331 (Capital Ave.) expressway and continued north through the IN 23 intersection onto Clover Trail, a local road that makes a sharp right turn just 125' past the intersection. The driver failed to negotiate the turn, and the car struck several trees and a house.

The story from WNDU TV: https://www.wndu.com/2023/12/23/man-dies-after-car-runs-off-road-hits-house-granger/

The GSV from the vantage point of the driver as they approached the intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7363433,-86.1517673,3a,75y,336.96h,85.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1simWnZZ8aXAAZv4ujCRag8w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The expressway has a speed limit of 45 approaching the intersection, though farther south the limit is 55. It's not unusual for traffic to approach in the range of 55-65 MPH. It should be noted that IN 331 ends at this intersection, but there is no signage to that effect. There is also no warning that the expressway ends and no warning signs indicating the right turn just past the intersection. (See the GSV.)
Go to https://indottscc.service-now.com/csm?id=csm_landing and open a ticket with the state with your concerns (missing signage for end of Freeway, end of route, and why).   That way they have a chance to consider the issue and respond.

wanderer2575

What expressway?  Every intersection has a traffic signal, and the speed limit (posted north of the Indiana Toll Road access) is 45 mph.  A W1-2R (right curve ahead) or W1-1R (sharp right curve ahead) sign, whichever is appropriate for the curve design at that speed, seems to be all that's missing.

Lack of an END IN-331 assembly, especially since the physical road continues, is irritating.

jeffandnicole

I would also consider driver familiarity with the area. If the driver had never been in this area before, it's possible some confusion could have resulted, especially if there is no indication of a curve ahead. If the driver lived in the neighborhood, then the driver would've been familiar with the intersection and the curve shouldn't have been a surprise.

cjw2001

Quote from: wanderer2575 on December 28, 2023, 11:09:06 AM
What expressway?  Every intersection has a traffic signal, and the speed limit (posted north of the Indiana Toll Road access) is 45 mph.  A W1-2R (right curve ahead) or W1-1R (sharp right curve ahead) sign, whichever is appropriate for the curve design at that speed, seems to be all that's missing.

Lack of an END IN-331 assembly, especially since the physical road continues, is irritating.
The Speed Limit 30 sign is also poorly placed after the curve rather than before.  This would likely be a local responsibility to correct since it is after the state road ends.

JREwing78

I'm of the opinion that no amount of signage/warning lights/barrier will save us from drivers who aren't paying attention.

IF this is more than a one-time inattentive driver issue, InDOT has options to modify the intersection:

- Clover Trail can be closed off and the intersection with IN 331 and IN 23 converted to a T instead of a +.

- The state could erect a gigantic W1-7 (cross-arrow) sign and guardrail at the intersection, and post large signs back from the intersection with IN 23 (with the wording "All Traffic Must Turn Next Signal").

- They could also erect more signage indicating left turn and right turn only lanes, and erect barriers to separate the left turn and right-turn lanes more clearly.

IN 331 is a relatively common roadway design InDOT uses where there's no driveway or side road access except at certain locations. I hesitate to call it an expressway due to the stoplights, but said stoplights are easy to spot and spaced at predictable intervals. It's not like on US-30 or US-31, for example, where long stretches of freeway-like roadway are ambushed by random stoplights. It could be upgraded easily enough to a full freeway if/when that ever becomes necessary (not holding my breath). But the road has to end somewhere; there's no logical reason for IN 331 to continue northward.

About the only other thing InDOT could do here is turn the IN 23/IN 331 intersection into a roundabout. That's generally good for weeding out the inattentive.

theline

Quote from: cjw2001 on December 28, 2023, 10:52:39 AM

Go to https://indottscc.service-now.com/csm?id=csm_landing and open a ticket with the state with your concerns (missing signage for end of Freeway, end of route, and why).   That way they have a chance to consider the issue and respond.
Thanks. I have submitted a report. Case ID: CS0425674

PColumbus73

At a bare minimum, InDOT could install a W1-6 (One-Direction Large Arrow) where Clover Trail makes the bend. It might be too confusing to add a W1-1 so close to the signal.

I agree assemblies for the state routes might help.

Perhaps rumble strips on the thru lane, and moving the speed limit sign before the bend would help, too.

Also, is this the only time a crash like this happened? Or is it the first of its kind?

theline

Quote from: theline on December 29, 2023, 12:03:41 AM
Quote from: cjw2001 on December 28, 2023, 10:52:39 AM

Thanks. I have submitted a report. Case ID: CS0425674
I've received a response to my report. INDOT has reviewed the official accident report and concluded that the crash did not occur as I had supposed. The accident vehicle passed several vehicles, entered the left turn lane, ran the red light at SR-23 before crashing. They feel signage did not play a part. (I think that issue may be arguable, but the driver is no longer around to make the argument.)

Happily, INDOT nevertheless agreed that signage is inadequate. They are ordering installation of an "Expressway Ends" sign and proper route markers. I'm glad I made the report.

INDOT's 2/21/2024 letter:
QuoteThank you for contacting the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) with your inquiry and concerns about the north terminus of the SR 331 expressway is poorly marked. You have stated, there is no sign for NB traffic indicating that the state route is terminating and no sign indicating that the expressway ends. The local road makes a sharp right turn just 125' from the intersection, but there is no signage to that effect. A fatal accident occurred at this intersection on 12/22/2023 when the driver failed to negotiate that turn. The car struck several trees and a house. It seems likely that the driver was proceeding north on SR 331 prior to the accident. There may have been confusion about the end of the expressway. https://www.wndu.com/2023/12/23/man-dies-after-car-runs-off-road-hits-house-granger/

Your request has been sent to our Traffic Investigations Department and their Engineer has reported back that we reviewed the crash report.  The errant vehicle passed other northbound witnesses, was in the left-turn lane, and then ran a red light to continue north onto Clover Trail.  Based on the witness accounts, it does not appear that signage was an issue for this particular crash.

That being said, our Traffic team reviewed the signage for northbound SR331 and found opportunities for updates. Traffic Supervisor added an "Expressway Ends" sign as well as some route marker assemblies for SR23 and SR331. A work order has been issued to our Maintenace Crews and this project is in the works. Once the work is completed your customer case will be closed out and you will receive a final email stating work is complete.

Thank you, again, for your inquiry and the opportunity to assist you with this matter. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at 855-INDOT4U or visit us at www.INDOT4U.com.

Sincerely,

Andrea Jenkins
Transportation Services Call Center

KelleyCook

Quote from: theline on February 21, 2024, 10:23:07 PM
I've received a response to my report. INDOT has reviewed the official accident report and concluded that the crash did not occur as I had supposed. The accident vehicle passed several vehicles, entered the left turn lane, ran the red light at SR-23 before crashing. They feel signage did not play a part. (I think that issue may be arguable, but the driver is no longer around to make the argument.)

Happily, INDOT nevertheless agreed that signage is inadequate. They are ordering installation of an "Expressway Ends" sign and proper route markers. I'm glad I made the report.

Translation: you're right, but our lawyers would never let us admit that or else someone will sue us for a few million.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.