News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Went to Tysons for a deposition today and was surprised to see the I-66 exit sign isn't covered up yet. This gives a good sense of how the new exit signs will look essentially just like the regular ones except with the white "E-ZPass Express Exit [or Exits]" banner on top and the "Left Exit" tab without an exit number. Sorry the picture is so far away. I was going to try to snap a second one closer to the sign, but that white Cadillac started drifting over the solid line and the people ahead of me hit the brakes and I needed to shift.

They are really moving very quickly on the Beltway lately. Lots of progress, lots of new signs. Best part, however, is that they are gradually repaving the existing roadway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Just wanted to mention that VDOT/RMA has completed installing mile markers on VA 195/I-195. They are odd in that, due to the shared mileage of both routes, VA 195's mile markers appear to be backwards - they increase from east to west, instead of the other way around. I'm pretty sure this is due to VDOT treating the entire route as a north-south route internally, but traffic logs don't seem to indicate that.

VA 76 also has the new mile markers (with shields and all), though not all of them are yet installed. Its mileposts ARE backwards - mile 0.0 is at VA 76's northern terminus (attached to the twin END VA 76/BEGIN I-195 signs), and the mile markers increase from north to south and not the other way around.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Interesting, thanks for the update. I would also point out that VDOT treats I-295 as an east-west route internally; traffic logs for the counties it traverses say "East I-295 is signed as South I-295", so its mileage is technically backwards as well.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on May 25, 2012, 09:19:41 AM
Interesting, thanks for the update. I would also point out that VDOT treats I-295 as an east-west route internally; traffic logs for the counties it traverses say "East I-295 is signed as South I-295", so its mileage is technically backwards as well.

I noticed that once and found that really strange. The east-west segment in Henrico and Hanover Counties was the first part of I-295 that was completed, and I wonder if it was signed as an east-west route at that point.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 25, 2012, 11:42:28 PM
Quote from: Takumi on May 25, 2012, 09:19:41 AM

I noticed that once and found that really strange. The east-west segment in Henrico and Hanover Counties was the first part of I-295 that was completed, and I wonder if it was signed as an east-west route at that point.

I don't recall that, but I do have the years that they were completed -- 1981 for the I-64 bypass section, and 1992 for the I-95 bypass section.

So the east-west I-64 bypass section was completed well before the north-south section.  And that ran between I-64 at Short Pump and US-60 at Seven Pines.

Environmental issues with regard to avoiding ACW battlefields in eastern Henrico was the reason for the delay in extending south from US-60.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/may/24/transportation-board-approves-location-i-77-i-91-o-ar-1940504/

Transportation Board approves location for I-77/I-81 overlap in SWVa.
Published: May 24, 2012

WYTHEVILLE, Va. -- The Commonwealth Transportation Board (CTB) recently selected the location for the I-77/I-81 overlap in Wythe County choosing Candidate Build Alternative B, which adds one travel lane in each direction at the current location of the overlap.

"The board took a significant action to improve mobility in a heavily congested region by approving a location for the I-77/I-81 Overlap in Wythe County,"  said VDOT Bristol District Administrator Michael Russell, P.E. "This area is not only an important transportation link for Virginia but to North Carolina and West Virginia as well."

VDOT presented three alternatives during a public hearing in September 2011; Candidate Build A, separation of the two interstates; Candidate Build B, the addition of one travel lane in each direction and a no-build option.

The next steps in the process are to revise the environmental assessment based on the board's decision and public comment received during the September 2011 public hearing, then request a final decision on the environmental assessment from the Federal Highway Administration.

The cost estimate for Candidate Build Alternative B is $457 million and includes preliminary engineering, right of way and construction.  Currently, funding has not been identified for these phases.

Beltway comment:  This project would include full semi-directional interchanges at each I-81/I-77 interchange.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on May 30, 2012, 10:07:14 AM
http://www2.tricities.com/news/2012/may/24/transportation-board-approves-location-i-77-i-91-o-ar-1940504/

Transportation Board approves location for I-77/I-81 overlap in SWVa.
Published: May 24, 2012

Ages ago, wasn't this the very last "gap" of I-81 in Virginia? 

I seem to recall that there was a (short) section of divided arterial highway here (or near here). 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Yes. The overlap of I-81 and I-77 was finished much later than the rest of the highway in the area. I remember on family trips being forced off I-81 onto US 11 and US 52 northeast of Wytheville and the interstate didn't resume until past where I-77 and US 52 split to the south.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Beltway

The overlap of I-81 and I-77 was completed in 1987, the same year that the 4-lane upgrade of the West Virginia Turnpike was completed.

The single routed sections of I-77 were all completed in Virginia by 1979.

The overlap of I-81 and I-77 is 8.0 miles long, and part was completed in the late 1960s as I-81, but the middle 4.7 mile long section was completed in 1987.  The gap was served by a 4-lane divided highway US-11/US-52 with no traffic signals and seamless connections to adjacent I-81.

Why is it going to cost $450 million to add one lane each way to 8 miles of highway and upgrade 3 interchanges?  That seems exhorbitant.

BTW, separating the two Interstates was an interesting idea, but IMO it seems simpler and more logical to upgrade the existing overlap.  Why have two separate highways and rights-of-way when the existing right-of-way can suffice, with moderate added R/W acquisition?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on June 01, 2012, 12:20:42 PM
The overlap of I-81 and I-77 was completed in 1987, the same year that the 4-lane upgrade of the West Virginia Turnpike was completed.

The single routed sections of I-77 were all completed in Virginia by 1979.

The overlap of I-81 and I-77 is 8.0 miles long, and part was completed in the late 1960s as I-81, but the middle 4.7 mile long section was completed in 1987.  The gap was served by a 4-lane divided highway US-11/US-52 with no traffic signals and seamless connections to adjacent I-81.

Why is it going to cost $450 million to add one lane each way to 8 miles of highway and upgrade 3 interchanges?  That seems exhorbitant.

BTW, separating the two Interstates was an interesting idea, but IMO it seems simpler and more logical to upgrade the existing overlap.  Why have two separate highways and rights-of-way when the existing right-of-way can suffice, with moderate added R/W acquisition?

Wait, does that mean that these signs were up as part of the gap??? Or am I misreading, and the gap started east of Wytheville?

large: www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/us_11/nto77c.jpg

Mapmikey

Quote from: Steve
Wait, does that mean that these signs were up as part of the gap??? Or am I misreading, and the gap started east of Wytheville?

large: www.alpsroads.net/roads/va/us_11/nto77c.jpg

This sign assembly (now sadly gone as I discovered last weekend) was on US 11 well within the town of Wytheville.  Originally there was an interchange at I-77/81 at US 11 east of Wytheville which shortly thereafter the gap began, although it was configured differently (narrower footprint) than it is today.

1968 Topo: http://ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5302118&quad=Wytheville&state=VA&grid=7.5X7.5&series=Map GeoPDF
2011 Topo: http://ims.er.usgs.gov/gda_services/download?item_id=5258817&quad=Wytheville&state=VA&grid=7.5X7.5&series=TNM GeoPDF

Mapmikey

Takumi

I drove by the Meadowville interchange again earlier tonight. Work is in progress on the Meadowville Parkway. The partially-finished north/west end, with Meadowville Road, will have a roundabout. Some pavement was there, but I couldn't see how far it extended. The south/east end, which was just a cleared right of way, looks like it'll be a Y intersection, with the south part of the Y right at the intersection of Bermuda Hundred Road (secondary route 697) and Enon Church Road (secondary 746).

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Beltway

Quote from: Takumi on June 02, 2012, 09:07:27 PM
I drove by the Meadowville interchange again earlier tonight. Work is in progress on the Meadowville Parkway. The partially-finished north/west end, with Meadowville Road, will have a roundabout. Some pavement was there, but I couldn't see how far it extended. The south/east end, which was just a cleared right of way, looks like it'll be a Y intersection, with the south part of the Y right at the intersection of Bermuda Hundred Road (secondary route 697) and Enon Church Road (secondary 746).

They are definitely expanding the industrial park, now that the new I-295 interchange provides direct access.

The I-295/VA-10 interchange provided indirect access, but particularly where the county wants the park developed to in the next 10 to 20 years, the new Meadowville interchange will provide much better access to the bulk of the park.  It also has provisions for an ultimate design of a full cloverleaf with a 4-lane Meadowville Road crossing over I-295.

Meadowville Technology Park
http://www.meadowville.com/site_boundaries.asp

(Robert Coté, 2002)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on June 01, 2012, 09:56:40 PM

This sign assembly (now sadly gone as I discovered last weekend) was on US 11 well within the town of Wytheville.  Originally there was an interchange at I-77/81 at US 11 east of Wytheville which shortly thereafter the gap began, although it was configured differently (narrower footprint) than it is today.

Mapmikey (or others), I seem to recall that there was a large truck stop/gas station along the right side of the northbound lanes (in I-81 terms) of the "gap" near Wytheville, at least back in the 1970's. 

Anyone else recall that?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

I have it on pretty good authority that Southern Virginia is against the toll plan.  My source was unable to give me further details.

Beltway

I have it on pretty good authority that pretty much everywhere and anywhere is against toll plans.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

I had to go to Old Town this afternoon and on my way back I took the Beltway so as to check out the new Inner Loop extension of the THRU lanes. Didn't get any pictures, too much traffic for that, but I wanted to recommend to any of you who might be using the Beltway in that area between now and around July 4 that you make an effort to avoid the Inner Loop's LOCAL carriageway if at all possible. The THRU lanes are in more or less their final configuration of two lanes continuing from the Wilson Bridge to just before the Eisenhower Connector exit. They were moving pretty well at 65 mph today.

The LOCAL lanes are the problem for now. That carriageway has been in a three-lane configuration from Telegraph Road west to the Eisenhower Connector because it was serving as the sole westbound carriageway there. The final configuration is to be a two-lane roadway (not counting exit and acceleration lanes, of course). In order to accomplish that, they've narrowed the LOCAL carriageway to a single lane from roughly the WMATA Yellow Line overpass to just before the Eisenhower Connector exit. It was at a noticeable standstill when I went through there this afternoon at about 15:00, meaning it's bound to be worse at peak hours.

You can reach Alexandria from the Inner Loop THRU lanes via the exit marked "Eisenhower Avenue" (the ramp splits off roughly in the middle of the US-1 interchange). The ramp puts you on Mill Road and intersects Eisenhower at the traffic light just east of the Hoffman Center area near the federal courthouse. You can reach the Inner Loop THRU lanes from Alexandria via the US-1 interchange–or you could go west on Eisenhower to the Eisenhower Connector and enter the Beltway west of the work zone.

The same process is scheduled to repeat itself in July on the Outer Loop.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Beltway on June 07, 2012, 02:46:43 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that pretty much everywhere and anywhere is against toll plans.

Quote from: froggie on June 07, 2012, 12:36:39 PM
I have it on pretty good authority that Southern Virginia is against the toll plan.  My source was unable to give me further details.

I believe that everyone wants:

(1) All roads with a functional class of freeway to always be free-flow;
(2) All roads to be free of all safety hazards (including immediate removal of truck tire treads and dead deer and other wildlife that have been struck in traffic);
(3) All roads and bridges and tunnels to have pavements that are smooth and free of potholes;
(4) All highway lighting and all highway signs to have lighting that works;
(5) All winter precipitation must be removed or treated immediately on all public roads;
(6) State and federal motor fuel taxes are to be not more than $0.05 per gallon; and
(7) Positively no tolls on any part of the highway system where they have to drive (though it's O.K. to toll other highway segments and it's O.K. to tax the guy over there behind that tree).

deathtopumpkins

^ I must not be part of "everyone" then.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

froggie

Next week at their workshop, the CTB will receive an update on tolling I-95.  Within the brief are some more details on one of the tolling options being considered, and a general list of all the options:

Option A-1:  a single gantry tolling both directions
Option A-2:  2 gantries, one tolling northbound, the other tolling southbound
Option A-3:  2 gantries, each tolling both directions
Option B:  6 gantries, each tolling both directions at roughly 20 mile intervals
Option C:  a closed system tolling the ramps at every interchange
Option D:  a hybrid system consisting of a combination of mainline and ramp tolling (similar to the existing Richmond tollways)
Option E:  a closed system tolling in between each interchange instead of at the ramps.

The brief goes into more details on Option A-1.  It'd be a single gantry located between Exit 20 (Jarratt) and Exit 24 (SR 645).  This location was chosen because of the low level of local commuters/local trucks, and a high level of long-distance traffic...about half of the traffic on that strech continues on through (or is coming from) milemarker 100 (near Doswell/Kings Dominion).

To help discourage diversion, ramps to/from the south would also be tolled at Exits 17 and 20, and ramps to/from the north tolled at Exits 24 and 31.  The mainline car toll would be $4, with the ramp tolls being $2.  Truck tolls would be triple the car toll.  For vehicles to completely avoid the tolls, they'd have to divert off of I-95 for about 20 miles (between Exits 13 and 33).  It should be noted that about 12 of the 20 miles along parallel US 301 are only 2-lanes vice 4, and IIRC there are some bridge weight restrictions on US 301 as well.

Revenue projection under A-1 is $35-40 million/year.  This would be used for various improvement projects along the corridor.

Personal note:  if VDOT REALLY wanted to be nasty, they'd include tolling the ramps at Exit 12/13.  I bet the cops in Emporia would love taking a close look at the trucks exiting at US 58 to head over to US 301.

WillWeaverRVA

Noticed today while driving around Chesterfield County that some right-of-way is being cleared along section of Old Hundred Road (SR 652/the tail end of VA 76) between Charter Colony Parkway and just past Brandermill Parkway. I hadn't previously heard about any project to widen the road, or that any progress had been made regarding any potential extension of Powhite Parkway (it's not likely to happen what with the development in Brandermill and Woodlake now).
Will Weaver

Beltway

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on June 14, 2012, 09:36:04 PM
Noticed today while driving around Chesterfield County that some right-of-way is being cleared along section of Old Hundred Road (SR 652/the tail end of VA 76) between Charter Colony Parkway and just past Brandermill Parkway. I hadn't previously heard about any project to widen the road, or that any progress had been made regarding any potential extension of Powhite Parkway (it's not likely to happen what with the development in Brandermill and Woodlake now).

That has been reported in the newspapers.  An $8 million project to widen one mile of Powhite to 4 lanes divided, extending from the western end of the 4-lane divided cross section.  Will extend west to Watermill Parkway.

"The county Transportation Department said construction started in April on widening the Powhite Parkway extension from Route 288 to Watermill Parkway to four lanes. The $8 million project, financed with revenue-sharing funds from the Virginia Department of Transportation, is expected to be finished in December."

http://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/news/2012-06-13/Front_Page/Roadwork_gears_up_in_anticipation_of_growth.html

Also of interest, the un-6-laned section of US-360 east of VA-288 --

"Meanwhile, engineering studies are under way for widening two stretches of Route 360. The section from Genito Road to Warbro Road, currently four lanes, would be expanded to six lanes at a cost of about $3.5 million. Scheduled to start construction next year, the project would be financed with funds from the Regional Surface Transportation Program (RSTP), a combined state and federal program."

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on June 14, 2012, 08:11:34 PM
Next week at their workshop, the CTB will receive an update on tolling I-95.  Within the brief are some more details on one of the tolling options being considered, and a general list of all the options:

Option A-1:  a single gantry tolling both directions
Option A-2:  2 gantries, one tolling northbound, the other tolling southbound
Option A-3:  2 gantries, each tolling both directions
Option B:  6 gantries, each tolling both directions at roughly 20 mile intervals
Option C:  a closed system tolling the ramps at every interchange
Option D:  a hybrid system consisting of a combination of mainline and ramp tolling (similar to the existing Richmond tollways)
Option E:  a closed system tolling in between each interchange instead of at the ramps.

The brief goes into more details on Option A-1.  It'd be a single gantry located between Exit 20 (Jarratt) and Exit 24 (SR 645).  This location was chosen because of the low level of local commuters/local trucks, and a high level of long-distance traffic...about half of the traffic on that strech continues on through (or is coming from) milemarker 100 (near Doswell/Kings Dominion).

To help discourage diversion, ramps to/from the south would also be tolled at Exits 17 and 20, and ramps to/from the north tolled at Exits 24 and 31.  The mainline car toll would be $4, with the ramp tolls being $2.  Truck tolls would be triple the car toll.  For vehicles to completely avoid the tolls, they'd have to divert off of I-95 for about 20 miles (between Exits 13 and 33).  It should be noted that about 12 of the 20 miles along parallel US 301 are only 2-lanes vice 4, and IIRC there are some bridge weight restrictions on US 301 as well.

That is an easy bypass, but could only handle a very small fraction of the almost 30,000 AADT that I-95 carries.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.