News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95 in Maryland: milepost starting point?

Started by Michael in Philly, June 22, 2011, 10:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

My trivia question of the day (but one that's often bugged me) is:  what is the starting point for numbering mileposts on 95 in Maryland:  the Maryland/DC line?  the DC/Virginia line?  the mid-point of the bridge?  heck, the Maryland end of the bridge?  Obviously, if the DC segment were more than 200 feet long and had actual connections to the DC road system, it'd be a no-brainer, but as it is I always think of 95 as crossing the Maryland/Virginia line.  Does anyone know?  The mileposts don't actually appear on the bridge, at least the last time I was there.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

J N Winkler

Logically, it would have to be the Maryland/DC line, but since 200 feet not only is less than one-twentieth of a mile but also is a plausible length for a station adjustment, I don't think anyone could tell just by using an odometer precise down to tenths of a mile.  I don't recall that any of the MdSHA plans for the Wilson Bridge gave station locations for milemarkers.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

oscar

Another possibility, though also trivially different from the others, is that I-95's mileposting was based on where the old Wilson Bridge crossed into MD from DC, and not updated since the bridge was replaced.  That point would be a few hundred feet NE of the DC/MD line at the centerline of the new Wilson Bridge.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

Oscar, the overall MD mileposting didn't change, but SHA instslled 0.2mi markers between the bridge and St Barnabas, which are roughly 0.5-0.7mi off from the original mileposts.  So to answer Michael's original question, it'd be wherever the original control point on the old Wilson Bridge was.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: froggie on June 22, 2011, 01:24:42 PM
Oscar, the overall MD mileposting didn't change, but SHA instslled 0.2mi markers between the bridge and St Barnabas, which are roughly 0.5-0.7mi off from the original mileposts.  So to answer Michael's original question, it'd be wherever the original control point on the old Wilson Bridge was.

That's really not much of an answer to Michael's original question....  ;-)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

froggie

This should be, then:  according to their Highway Reference Logs, SHA defines "Mile 0" as the west (Virginia) end of the bridge, not the state line(s).

NE2

You're right - http://www.roads.maryland.gov/Location/2009_PRINCEGEORGES.pdf (p. 8)
Confusingly it also says the state line is at mile 0, but 1.161 matches the full bridge length from Royal Street in Alexandria.

BUT BUT BUT note where the mile markers are:
1 1.26
2 2.28
4 3.90
5 4.84
7 7.03
8 7.823
9 8.85
10 9.68
1 and 2 appear to be based off a zero about halfway between Lee Street and the shore.

This explains any discrepancy between the (original?) mileposts and new 1/5 markers. Do the new ones match the official mileage (1.2 just east of the ped overpass, for example)?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Michael in Philly

^^Thanks to both of you.

Somewhere in northeastern Maryland, I think I've seen a new-style milepost (the kind with the little Interstate shield in it) and an older one for the same mile - on opposite sides of the southbound roadway if memory serves - and they're some distance apart.  Wasn't sure if it was a mistake (meaning, one of them's at the wrong space) or they remeasured and neglected to remove the old one.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.