News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Northern Virginia HOT Lanes

Started by mtantillo, August 14, 2012, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on January 10, 2018, 11:51:42 AM
I'm a little skeptical about the "no upfront money from Virginia taxpayers" part...

"The private companies behind the lanes – Transurban – will pay $277 million up front, part of which will cover the northbound bridge over the river that VDOT had canceled last June."

What about tolls?  Nothing in the article about tolls.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

BrianP

Gov. Terry McAuliffe's final transportation deal: 10 more miles of toll lanes on Interstate 95
QuoteTransportation Secretary Aubrey Layne, who is taking a new role as finance secretary in the incoming administration of Gov.-elect Ralph Northam (D), said after the construction of the northbound bridge over the Rappahannock, the state will have $232 million left. The Commonwealth Transportation Board will need to decide how to spend the rest of the funds in the corridor, he said.

Jmiles32

QuoteTransportation Secretary Aubrey Layne, who is taking a new role as finance secretary in the incoming administration of Gov.-elect Ralph Northam (D), said after the construction of the northbound bridge over the Rappahannock, the state will have $232 million left. The Commonwealth Transportation Board will need to decide how to spend the rest of the funds in the corridor, he said.
Glad to see the Northbound Rappahannock River Crossing project, which is essential to helping fix the regular northbound congestion on weekends, finally funded. Will be interesting to see exactly how the CTB decides to spend the rest of the funds. Thus this brings me to two questions:
1. Are the extra funds only available for I-95 corridor improvements in the Fredericksburg region or could they be used for I-95 corridor improvements elsewhere? Ex. Northern Virginia
2. Could the extra funds be used to widen a section of I-95 where the current HOT lanes exist while not creating a compensation event with Transburban? Ex. Extending the southbound 4th lane to PW Pkwy?
If yes to #1 and no to #2, then IMO at least part of that money should be used to build a 4th southbound lane from where the future southbound local and thru lanes merge(about a mile south of Exit 130) to US-1/US-17(Exit 126).
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2018, 12:01:24 PM
The part I found the most interesting is this paragraph:

QuoteLike the additional southbound bridge planned in the area, the northbound span will provide through-lanes that connect to the Express Lanes, while the existing lanes of I-95 will become local lanes in an effort to reduce weaving in the area and speed up traffic.

I haven't paid much attention to the plans for the southbound bridge, but based on this paragraph, I have a mental image of something conceptually similar to the setup around and over the Wilson Bridge such that thru traffic would be segregated (without paying a toll) from traffic going to or from Exit 133. Anyone have more detailed information about what's described in the paragraph quoted above?

I was able to do some more reading about this earlier this morning and it seems it will indeed be a Wilson Bridge type setup running from just north of Exit 133 to just south of Exit 130, with the new bridges in each direction carrying what I assume will be called "Thru" lanes to segregate the long-distance traffic from the traffic going to or from either of those two interchanges. The map I saw did not show how the HO/T lanes will connect to all this, of course. It'll be interesting to see how they configure it.

I still wonder at what point it becomes inefficient to continue to extend a reversible carriageway such that it might make more sense to configure the road with permanent HO/T lanes in both directions (whether configured as on the Beltway or along the lines of Maryland's I-95 ETLs). I'm not saying this extension pushes past that point–I have no idea when you reach that point. I'm just speculating that at some point you probably reach a distance that's too far for reversible lanes. For what it's worth, it's just under 45 miles from Exit 133 to the northern end of the reversible carriageway near the Pentagon (using as endpoints the northern end of the northbound C/D roadway at Exit 133 and a point in the general-purpose lanes next to where the reversible carriageway splits into the two inner carriageways leading to and from the 14th Street Bridge).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jmiles32

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 11, 2018, 09:47:42 AM
The part I found the most interesting is this paragraph:

QuoteLike the additional southbound bridge planned in the area, the northbound span will provide through-lanes that connect to the Express Lanes, while the existing lanes of I-95 will become local lanes in an effort to reduce weaving in the area and speed up traffic.

I haven't paid much attention to the plans for the southbound bridge, but based on this paragraph, I have a mental image of something conceptually similar to the setup around and over the Wilson Bridge such that thru traffic would be segregated (without paying a toll) from traffic going to or from Exit 133. Anyone have more detailed information about what's described in the paragraph quoted above?

I was able to do some more reading about this earlier this morning and it seems it will indeed be a Wilson Bridge type setup running from just north of Exit 133 to just south of Exit 130, with the new bridges in each direction carrying what I assume will be called "Thru" lanes to segregate the long-distance traffic from the traffic going to or from either of those two interchanges. The map I saw did not show how the HO/T lanes will connect to all this, of course. It'll be interesting to see how they configure it.
From VDOT's website in what appears to be the chosen configuration of the future HOT lanes southern terminus and connection to the Rappahannock River Crossing project in the vicinity of Exit 133.
http://www.virginiadot.org/projects/resources/Fredericksburg/Fred_Ex_PH_Display_1A_Connection_at_Route_17.pdf

I still wonder at what point it becomes inefficient to continue to extend a reversible carriageway such that it might make more sense to configure the road with permanent HO/T lanes in both directions (whether configured as on the Beltway or along the lines of Maryland's I-95 ETLs). I'm not saying this extension pushes past that point–I have no idea when you reach that point. I'm just speculating that at some point you probably reach a distance that's too far for reversible lanes. For what it's worth, it's just under 45 miles from Exit 133 to the northern end of the reversible carriageway near the Pentagon (using as endpoints the northern end of the northbound C/D roadway at Exit 133 and a point in the general-purpose lanes next to where the reversible carriageway splits into the two inner carriageways leading to and from the 14th Street Bridge).
Good question as I have found myself wondering that as well. A potential HOT lanes extension to Massaponax would probably be the max distance a reversible carriageway system could work. Any extension further south, should there be the demand for it, needs to be HOT lanes in both directions.

MillTheRoadgeek

I am aware there are some replies around here about the impending construction, but none yet are in-depth on the construction efforts that have recently started.

To be honest, we've had a lack of interesting construction projects in a while. Most of what I see on VDOT's Northern Virginia projects page happen to be minor fixes with even the fascinating ones having wrapped a few years ago. I will, however make an exception for Loudoun County; since their roads are being widened/extended left and right, not to mention VA 7 is definitely ramping up the process to become a freeway with several interchanges underway. Sure, construction may be a pain and most of us would like to skip ahead to the finished result (or even backwards), but we might still miss the days of various projects such as Springfield Interchange, the Woodrow Wilson Interchange and even the 495 HOT Lanes as they broadly transformed their respective highway vicinities. The I-95 projects definitely made a change for that highway, but very little was constructed outside some transfer ramps and sound walls.

So far what I've seen of I-66 is only some unnoticeable clearing at the VA 28 interchanges and near sound walls between Exits 57 and 60. I haven't been back in two weeks but from what I know it's been just about two months since the groundbreaking. For comparison the 495 Express lanes broke ground in late July 2008, and in the exact same timeframe they were already striping the lanes and clearing decent swaths of land. I might be a bit off considering any less space the new construction would use, but they have some big work to do by ~mid-2020.

As for my thoughts on the project itself, it's a shame that the free I-66 lanes will be deducted in several places even as the whole will be widened to at least 10 travel lanes throughout. About the whole HOT lanes concept, it would work nicely with HOV commuters, but honestly the EZPass fees are an issue. What do you all expect of this work coming up?  :hmmm:

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on January 23, 2018, 07:40:45 PM
To be honest, we've had a lack of interesting construction projects in a while. Most of what I see on VDOT's Northern Virginia projects page happen to be minor fixes with even the fascinating ones having wrapped a few years ago. I will, however make an exception for Loudoun County; since their roads are being widened/extended left and right, not to mention VA 7 is definitely ramping up the process to become a freeway with several interchanges underway. Sure, construction may be a pain and most of us would like to skip ahead to the finished result (or even backwards), but we might still miss the days of various projects such as Springfield Interchange, the Woodrow Wilson Interchange and even the 495 HOT Lanes as they broadly transformed their respective highway vicinities. The I-95 projects definitely made a change for that highway, but very little was constructed outside some transfer ramps and sound walls.
While the term "interesting construction projects" is likely different for each and every one of us, the answer to your statement is likely due to the fact that now thanks to smart scale, obtaining needed state funding for big dollar projects is much more challenging. Hence as a result, projects ranging from I-66 Outside the Beltway(2.3 billion) to the Northbound Rappahannock River Crossing Project(Around 130 million) are being fully funded in PP3 deals.

So far what I've seen of I-66 is only some unnoticeable clearing at the VA 28 interchanges and near sound walls between Exits 57 and 60. I haven't been back in two weeks but from what I know it's been just about two months since the groundbreaking. For comparison the 495 Express lanes broke ground in late July 2008, and in the exact same timeframe they were already striping the lanes and clearing decent swaths of land. I might be a bit off considering any less space the new construction would use, but they have some big work to do by ~mid-2020.
Pretty sure at the moment only initial utility relocation and tree clearing are underway. Major construction will begin come spring.

What do you all expect of this work coming up?  :hmmm:
I predict during both rush hour and major lane closures it'll be absolute hell.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Jmiles32 on January 23, 2018, 10:34:21 PM
While the term "interesting construction projects" is likely different for each and every one of us, the answer to your statement is likely due to the fact that now thanks to smart scale, obtaining needed state funding for big dollar projects is much more challenging. Hence as a result, projects ranging from I-66 Outside the Beltway(2.3 billion) to the Northbound Rappahannock River Crossing Project(Around 130 million) are being fully funded in PP3 deals.
I would largely classify interesting projects as those I either follow during construction or look back at from time to time (such as the ones I mentioned). That of which depends on the time lapsed from start to finish, the breadth of construction and what major changes it brings once finished. Looking into what I said, that VDOT list mostly consists of non-road and bridge construction/rehabilitation spot projects. I'll say those are useful to those living and commuting in those areas however those bring nothing really major that we can discuss here.
Also what would you consider to be this "smart scale" thing? I'm not well-versed in any of these financing aspects, but I assume since both of these seem to be HOT lane projects that must signal some funding difficulties. Even then we've had some decent projects in the past few years, such as the Gainesville Interchange and Arlington Blvd. interchange reconstruction that have lasted some years.
Pretty sure at the moment only initial utility relocation and tree clearing are underway. Major construction will begin come spring.
Not too sure about that. Yesterday I went by the I-66 corridor between VA 28 and the Fairfax County Parkway... and all I could really see were some minor clearings that most commuters may not notice, if any signs at all. For that stretch of the highway I could assume there is not much need for clearing since the final footprint is only slightly larger, however on major interchanges and heading towards the Beltway (where the highway is 6 lanes, not counting the shoulders) this concerns me. They have some pretty lofty goals for last month and now but they don't seem to be going that fast. (http://outside.transform66.org/documents/dphnancyuploads111017/planned_winter_2017-2018_construction_activity_2_final.pdf)
I predict during both rush hour and major lane closures it'll be absolute hell.
I see. However do you also think the final result will be worth it anyway or not? Just wondering.

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on January 29, 2018, 11:52:29 AM
Also what would you consider to be this "smart scale" thing?
In a nutshell, Smart Scale is designed to "take the politics out"  of funding road projects by unbiasedly scoring potential projects via a computer system. The projects that score the highest get the limited state funding. For more details here's a link to the smart scale website:
http://vasmartscale.org/about/default.asp
For example the US-460 toll project was for years pushed by the McDonnell administration as very important and key to alleviating traffic on I-64. However, even when a smaller more scaled back version of the project was submitted to smart scale last year, the project scored terribly thus leading to the funds being used to instead widen I-64 on the peninsula, IMO a much better project and use of limited money.

Not too sure about that. Yesterday I went by the I-66 corridor between VA 28 and the Fairfax County Parkway... and all I could really see were some minor clearings that most commuters may not notice, if any signs at all. For that stretch of the highway I could assume there is not much need for clearing since the final footprint is only slightly larger, however on major interchanges and heading towards the Beltway (where the highway is 6 lanes, not counting the shoulders) this concerns me. They have some pretty lofty goals for last month and now but they don't seem to be going that fast. (http://outside.transform66.org/documents/dphnancyuploads111017/planned_winter_2017-2018_construction_activity_2_final.pdf)
If thats the case, than they are likely already behind schedule. Doesn't surprise me as Cintra, the parent company of I-66 mobility partners, doesn't exactly have the greatest track record(Multiple bankruptcies and I-77 express lanes controversy down in Charlotte N.C).

I see. However do you also think the final result will be worth it anyway or not? Just wondering.
If the project was just adding 2 HOT lanes in each direction, than no I would say 4 years of hell would not be worth it. However since they are also getting rid of the last lights on Va-28 north of I-66, rebuilding basically every interchange between Gainesville and the Beltway, and on top of that giving the state an extra $500 million to spend on the corridor, than the final result should be a substantial improvement to what exists currently and IMO will be well worth the pain of construction in the long run.

AlexandriaVA

Hopefully they keep the projected speed limit high, so that they can take in higher toll revenues and keep traffic to a lower volume. My guess is given the wealth of Loudoun and Western Fairfax, once people enjoy higher speeds, they won't mind paying more in tolls to keep it.

MillTheRoadgeek

In a nutshell, Smart Scale is designed to "take the politics out"  of funding road projects by unbiasedly scoring potential projects via a computer system. The projects that score the highest get the limited state funding. For more details here's a link to the smart scale website:
For example the US-460 toll project was for years pushed by the McDonnell administration as very important and key to alleviating traffic on I-64. However, even when a smaller more scaled back version of the project was submitted to smart scale last year, the project scored terribly thus leading to the funds being used to instead widen I-64 on the peninsula, IMO a much better project and use of limited money.
I see. Though in inexperienced terms, could this be why express lanes are such a hot commodity here presently and is there a lack of major proposed projects that are actively discussed? Sure there are many works to conduct here in order to improve traffic, however I feel like none of these have been recently been spoken of.
If thats the case, than they are likely already behind schedule. Doesn't surprise me as Cintra, the parent company of I-66 mobility partners, doesn't exactly have the greatest track record(Multiple bankruptcies and I-77 express lanes controversy down in Charlotte N.C).
Sure seems curious. I'm only hoping there is no controversy as a result and things can flow nicely once it's done.
Though I returned to the highway in the following two days (all the way to the Beltway) and I could notice the clearing of the VA 28 southeast quadrant "mound"  was underway (but not on the Poplar Tree overpass), and the clearing by Fairfax/Oakton was slowly becoming more visible. Otherwise all I see are really construction lots for various equipment and such.
While there is nothing else planned for this month of February, I assume they could use this time to catch up until then.
If the project was just adding 2 HOT lanes in each direction, than no I would say 4 years of hell would not be worth it. However since they are also getting rid of the last lights on Va-28 north of I-66, rebuilding basically every interchange between Gainesville and the Beltway, and on top of that giving the state an extra $500 million to spend on the corridor, than the final result should be a substantial improvement to what exists currently and IMO will be well worth the pain of construction in the long run.
That's really what makes the project interesting unlike the work on I-95 (in comparison). While we have another DDI and new overpasses as well I certainly say that the VA 28 interchange is the crown jewel of this project. It's definitely been a pain traveling through that area most times and hopefully the pieces finally move forward. While most of the interchanges will only be retrofitted to fit the new highway footprint, many of them will include C/D lanes to separate traffic easily. Definitely an improvement over the more open setups we have presently.
Also what do you think VDOT should spend on with the $500M left over? If not a Metrorail extension I would go for building a Bull Run Bypass connector to Manassas.
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 30, 2018, 01:30:15 PM
Hopefully they keep the projected speed limit high, so that they can take in higher toll revenues and keep traffic to a lower volume. My guess is given the wealth of Loudoun and Western Fairfax, once people enjoy higher speeds, they won't mind paying more in tolls to keep it.
There's definitely going to be a higher speed on the 66 Express Lanes as with 495 and 95. At least 65 MPH I say, however there are 60 and 65 MPH general-purpose portions down the corridor, so I could assume it may be higher in those locations if the regular lanes are not lowered.

Also some (emotional ) news... sadly the recent I-66 traffic management system will end within the next year for this construction. It seems rather wasteful that it could not be implemented into this project nor anywhere else. This leaves only about three years of use amongst other newer improvements to the highway (paving from US 50 to the Beltway, the I-495 interchange).
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/01/exclusive-66-toll-construction-take-2-year-old-high-tech-traffic-management-system/

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on February 03, 2018, 01:13:41 PM
Also what do you think VDOT should spend on with the $500M left over? If not a Metrorail extension I would go for building a Bull Run Bypass connector to Manassas.
Here is the List of 15 Concession Fee Projects Recommended By Commonwealth Transportation Board:
http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/concession_fee_project.asp
Of those projects, some that stand out include:
-A DDI at VA-234 and Balls Ford Road
-Balls Ford Road Widening from Groveton road to Route 234 Business(Sudley Road)
- I-66 median widening at US-29 in Centreville
- Finish Widening US-29 to six lanes from I-66 in Centreville to US-50 in Fairfax
- VRE Capacity improvements

I personally have no problem with the CTB recommendations. As for funding the Bull Run Bypass, I think that had the project been further along(Haven't even picked a definitive route yet) it would have likely gotten a decent chunk of the $500M. However, if I recall correctly, the NVTA had originally set aside $300 million for the I-66/VA-28 rebuild, which now after being covered by the HOT lanes project, is freed up and will likely be used to fund whatever alternative VDOT and the NVTA pick for the Bull Run Bypass.

1995hoo

QuoteThere's definitely going to be a higher speed on the 66 Express Lanes as with 495 and 95. At least 65 MPH I say, however there are 60 and 65 MPH general-purpose portions down the corridor, so I could assume it may be higher in those locations if the regular lanes are not lowered.

The report I saw said the I-66 HO/T lanes outside the Beltway will most likely get a 70-mph speed limit. 

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Jmiles32 on February 03, 2018, 02:13:47 PM
Here is the List of 15 Concession Fee Projects Recommended By Commonwealth Transportation Board:
http://outside.transform66.org/learn_more/concession_fee_project.asp
Of those projects, some that stand out include:
-A DDI at VA-234 and Balls Ford Road
-Balls Ford Road Widening from Groveton road to Route 234 Business(Sudley Road)
- I-66 median widening at US-29 in Centreville
- Finish Widening US-29 to six lanes from I-66 in Centreville to US-50 in Fairfax
- VRE Capacity improvements

I personally have no problem with the CTB recommendations. As for funding the Bull Run Bypass, I think that had the project been further along(Haven't even picked a definitive route yet) it would have likely gotten a decent chunk of the $500M. However, if I recall correctly, the NVTA had originally set aside $300 million for the I-66/VA-28 rebuild, which now after being covered by the HOT lanes project, is freed up and will likely be used to fund whatever alternative VDOT and the NVTA pick for the Bull Run Bypass.
Not too shabby. The one I'd personally pick is the DDI or the VA 28 corridor solutions, mostly as they seem logical.
Also what exactly do you mean by the median widening? Metrorail will not go any further there? And do you have anything else to say about my previous statements above?
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 04, 2018, 04:22:18 PM
The report I saw said the I-66 HO/T lanes outside the Beltway will most likely get a 70-mph speed limit.

Exciting news! This plus the permitted trucks rule (https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2016/12/va-sign-66-toll-lane-deal-includes-ok-trucks-lanes/) in the lanes could be a huge draw for this project. Maybe they could even go up to 75 or 80 for added benefit further out...?  :bigass:

Jmiles32

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on February 04, 2018, 11:11:47 PM
Also what exactly do you mean by the median widening? Metrorail will not go any further there? And do you have anything else to say about my previous statements above?
http://outside.transform66.org/documents/concession2018/08_-_I66_Median_Widening.pdf
Basically, the I-66 overpass will be rebuilt, raised, and widened so that US-29 underneath can be widened to six lanes at some point. The project also accommodates a potential metro extension to Centreville via the median(which is currently non-existent at Exit 52). On a separate note, perhaps one day when New Braddock Road is extended west and connected to Stone Rd/US-29 via a new bridge over I-66, it may make more sense to have an interchange there so that current Exit 52 could be closed due potential merging problems created by its proximity to a greatly upgraded VA-28/I-66 interchange(Exit 53).

I see. Though in inexperienced terms, could this be why express lanes are such a hot commodity here presently and is there a lack of major proposed projects that are actively discussed?
Exactly^and so far since Smart Scale appears to favor funding multiple smaller projects instead of one mega-project, the only way I see major projects such as widening I-81 ever being funded is through a P3 deal.

Sure there are many works to conduct here in order to improve traffic, however I feel like none of these have been recently been spoken of.
What "works" did you have in mind?

Also some (emotional ) news... sadly the recent I-66 traffic management system will end within the next year for this construction. It seems rather wasteful that it could not be implemented into this project nor anywhere else. This leaves only about three years of use amongst other newer improvements to the highway (paving from US 50 to the Beltway, the I-495 interchange).
https://wtop.com/dc-transit/2018/01/exclusive-66-toll-construction-take-2-year-old-high-tech-traffic-management-system/
Was the I-66 traffic management system even popular? From personal experience and through conversations with some regular I-66 commuters, I was under the impression that the speeds posted were frequently both way off and very distracting(in a bad way). The only thing useful about it IMO was the Red X/Green arrow informing you whether or not the rightsholder lane was open.

froggie

Quote from: Jmiles32it may make more sense to have an interchange there so that current Exit 52 could be closed due potential merging problems created by its proximity to a greatly upgraded VA-28/I-66 interchange(Exit 53).

They won't close 52.  Serves far more traffic than any "Stone Rd/Braddock Rd" interchange might.  Furthermore, even with an upgraded Exit 53, there will be at least a half-mile between the EB on-ramp from 29 and the exit to NB 28, which means technically it won't be a weave (per the Highway Capacity Manual).  Also, unlike today, there will be an auxiliary lane between the two ramps.

Jmiles32

Quote from: froggie on February 06, 2018, 08:09:11 PM
Quote from: Jmiles32it may make more sense to have an interchange there so that current Exit 52 could be closed due potential merging problems created by its proximity to a greatly upgraded VA-28/I-66 interchange(Exit 53).

They won't close 52.  Serves far more traffic than any "Stone Rd/Braddock Rd" interchange might.  Furthermore, even with an upgraded Exit 53, there will be at least a half-mile between the EB on-ramp from 29 and the exit to NB 28, which means technically it won't be a weave (per the Highway Capacity Manual).  Also, unlike today, there will be an auxiliary lane between the two ramps.

Fair points. However as part of the I-66 median widening project, IMO it wouldn't hurt to redo/tweak the Exit 52 interchange. The interchange's two merging points onto I-66 westbound are unnecessary and contribute to afternoon traffic. I've heard a DDI mentioned as a possibility and agree that one could work well here.

froggie

The two westbound merging points ARE necessary due to the heavy "westbound" 29 to westbound 66 movement.  Remember that this direction also serves as a route from New Braddock Rd and 28 South to get to westbound 66.  A traditional diamond interchange would have a very overwhelmed left turn lane.

From a traffic standpoint, a DDI would work.  But a major physical hindrance is the eastbound off-ramp from 66.  The left turn would be way too tight with a DDI, and expanding the ramp out is impractical due to the development in that corner.

Jmiles32

Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2018, 12:05:36 AM
From a traffic standpoint, a DDI would work.  But a major physical hindrance is the eastbound off-ramp from 66.  The left turn would be way too tight with a DDI, and expanding the ramp out is impractical due to the development in that corner.
Thanks to space the westbound US-29 to westbound I-66 loop ramp currently occupies, theoretically if it was removed, the new I-66 overpass(and I-66 itself) could be shifted west allowing more room for the eastbound I-66 off-ramp. Obviously, this idea would be extremely expensive and begs the question of how badly Exit 52 needs improvements given the potentially high cost. After I-66 outside the beltway is complete, this should become more clear.

1995hoo

Don't forget I-66 will be four lanes wider overall, which might impact the space for shifting that overpass.

froggie

^ Technically 2 lanes wider here, not 4, as they're going from 6 + 2 HOV to 6 + 4 HOT.

From what I saw of the design plans, they'll be squeezing everything onto the existing I-66 bridges at Exit 52, presumably to save money and because those bridges were rebuilt not all that long ago.

Jmiles:  while the existing loop ramp might provide some space for a westward shift as you suggest, that is only in the case in the northwest corner of the interchange.  It does *NOT* provide space for a westward mainline shift in the southwest corner, where the presence of Big Rocky Run (the stream) constricts things.

Jmiles32

Quote from: froggie on February 07, 2018, 02:28:46 PM
Jmiles:  while the existing loop ramp might provide some space for a westward shift as you suggest, that is only in the case in the northwest corner of the interchange.  It does *NOT* provide space for a westward mainline shift in the southwest corner, where the presence of Big Rocky Run (the stream) constricts things.

Yeah any proposed project that involves relocating or removing Big Rocky Run would get shut down immeaditly.

1995hoo

Rothman

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2018, 10:02:08 AM
WAMU has an article in which an analyst debunks a lot of the media hysteria about HO/T lanes:

https://wamu.org/story/18/02/22/beyond-40-tolls-express-lanes-helping-northern-virginia-beat-traffic-congestion/
That's essentially an op-ed rather than an objective article.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

1995hoo

Quote from: Rothman on February 23, 2018, 10:16:18 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 23, 2018, 10:02:08 AM
WAMU has an article in which an analyst debunks a lot of the media hysteria about HO/T lanes:

https://wamu.org/story/18/02/22/beyond-40-tolls-express-lanes-helping-northern-virginia-beat-traffic-congestion/
That's essentially an op-ed rather than an objective article.

Except the analyst doesn't work for the radio station, which is why I wouldn't consider it an op-ed–I've always understood that term to mean it reflects an opinion from someone working for the media outlet that ran the piece.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.