News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Traffic Control / Re: Erroneous road signs
Last post by cockroachking - June 21, 2024, 11:03:17 PM
Found this beauty while looking for a play for the Guess the Speed Limit game:

NY-19/417 in Wellsville
General Highway Talk / Re: Things you've always wante...
Last post by Rothman - June 21, 2024, 10:57:40 PM
Seems to me that if you're making a left turn that you have to yield to oncoming traffic to make it safely, unless you get to the intersection "long" before the other driver.

This thread could be a good catch-all for the multiple silly question threads that have been popping up recently.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by wanderer2575 - June 21, 2024, 10:35:18 PM
MA-14  -->  M-14:

General Highway Talk / Re: Things you've always wante...
Last post by webny99 - June 21, 2024, 10:14:17 PM
I think what I'm about to ask here is a good fit for this thread concept, however I acknowledge that it is a major bump, so please feel free to move to its own thread if warranted!

Anyway...

At a four-way intersection controlled by a two-way stop (where traffic on the major road is uncontrolled and traffic on the minor road has a stop sign), if one car in each direction on the minor road are stopped, waiting to turn in the same direction as each other, who has the right of way? Is it whoever stopped first, or is it always the person turning right? To add more complexity, what about cases where the person turning right can go but the person turning left can't? Should traffic turning right just keep turning even though they are technically going out of turn, or should they only go if the person turning left can't go, thereby paying attention to the traffic coming from their right when they wouldn't otherwise have to?

There's an intersection like this near my workplace so it's a situation I run into quite a bit and haven't been able to identify a foolproof solution. Sometimes the person turning left will just go right away if they stopped first, other times they'll see me waiting (turning right) and wave me on, other times they'll just sit there until I go. If I see that I have a gap and they don't, I'll always just go, but then I wonder how long they'll sit there if they don't eventually just start going in front of a right turner.

Any insight on the "correct" thing to do here is appreciated!
Pacific Southwest / Re: Re: Nevada
Last post by pderocco - June 21, 2024, 10:10:17 PM
I never noticed this before, but the Mercury Hwy interchange looks like it got modified at one point to allow for eventual conversion to a trumpet interchange. However, Google Earth shows that that happened before their earliest imagery from 1995.
Northwest / Re: Graffiti on Portland’s hig...
Last post by pderocco - June 21, 2024, 09:57:16 PM
They could never shut that down in order to clean it. The local economy would collapse.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by TheOneKEA - June 21, 2024, 09:53:18 PM
Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMThanks, so
- Originally it would have been 2+2 to MM 81, but due to $$ it is now to exit 74 then 77 then 80 starting with late 2024?

The original plans were for 4+2+2+4 from Exit 62 to Exit 80, then 4+4 to Exit 85. After the northbound ETLs open this year the layout will be 4+2+2+4 to Exit 67, then 4+2+4 to Exit 74. By 2027 the layout north of Exit 74 will have six lanes in total for northbound traffic.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PM- Originally it would have been NB and SB but now it is just NB with no plans for SB (wow) because NB had it worse with the lane drop-off at exit 77?

That is correct. The current construction project included the replacement of all of the narrow overpasses north of Exit 67 to provide sufficient space for the southbound ETL carriage way to be constructed.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PM- Originally It would have been 4-2-2-4 to MM 81, now it will be 4-2-4 to exit 77 then 3-2-3 77 to exit 80?

As cited above the general purpose lanes will eventually be widened north of Exit 74. This means that the segment of I-95 between Exit 77 (MD 24) and Exit 80 (MD 543) will eventually be doubled in width from six lanes to twelve, but I don't believe any widening of the southbound carriage way north of Exit 74 will occur during the latter stages of this construction project.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMCan't believe MD has no plan for SB ext.
Frankly I think it should be 4-2-2-4 to 80 then 4-4 across the new Tydings bridge.

I have my own thoughts on how the ETLs could be extended further but they are best discussed in the Fictional Highways forum.

Quote from: bluecountry on June 21, 2024, 01:49:37 PMWhat I find dumb is how MD unlike VA refuses to make it a P3, where HOV would be lower the toll and the P3 funds could expedite this project.

I strongly believe that if the highway was not already a toll facility owned and operated by the MdTA, someone would have proposed to do just that. But since it is already a toll road, it is only logical and proper that the state's toll facility operator should undertake the expansion of the highway and rely solely on its capacity to issue revenue bonds for construction and amalgamate its toll revenue to pay for them.
Southeast / Re: Interstate 42
Last post by jcil4ever - June 21, 2024, 09:51:28 PM
I drove from Raleigh to New Bern on US-70 today and noticed a few small updates:

It doesn't look like NCDOT is going to use the opening of NC-540 to also sign I-42. You can see US-70 still signed in the unfinished turbine interchange. I'm guessing the missing shields will be I-40 and US-70 (west).

The bridge over Wilson Mills Rd. looks to be nearly ready for use! That'll make the first stop light the one in Princeton!
Road Trips / Re: What road did you leave on...
Last post by cockroachking - June 21, 2024, 09:51:08 PM
More exploring in the Northwest Hills of CT on Thursday:
NY/CT: US-44
CT/MA: CT-272
MA/CT: CT-272
CT/NY: I-84
General Highway Talk / Re: Unpopular Anything Road-Re...
Last post by webny99 - June 21, 2024, 09:48:29 PM
One that is probably unpopular is that if you are the first car in line waiting to turn left and the light turns yellow, you should always (1) check for oncoming/other turning traffic, (2) prepare to go, and (3) do not stop, GO. If I am second in line, depending on how backed up the intersection is I will fully plan on going as well. A few times I've even gone when I'm third in line if the first car gets enough of a jump on the yellow.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.