News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 12, 2023, 10:08:57 AM
As a side note, I find it incredibly frustrating the way neighborhoods get to block parents from picking up or dropping off kids from school. I don't think it's fair, unless your streets are private. Public streets should be fair game. Otherwise you end up funneling everyone to one or two locations and it just doesn't work.

My neighborhood does nothing of the sort, and it's incredibly frustrating that parents are allowed to completely disregard the clearly posted parking rules ("No Parking Any Time"), drive in the bike lane, etc., because they are In Line To Pick Up Their Kid. This is despite the fact that the street is only wide enough to fit three cars abreast, so if there are people In Line (which apparently confers the status effects "Better Than You" and "Immune To All Laws"), you basically have a one lane road to work with, and bikes can just fuck right off, I guess.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

wanderer2575

Wow, I didn't mean to derail this thread; I was just posting the sign because I thought it was unique and I mentioned the reason as an aside.  But I'll note, in this case it's entirely for traffic control and not the result of any neighborhood complaining.  The sign faces northbound side street traffic.  Making a left turn (onto the main road, by the way, not another side street) or going across the main road can be tricky because the line of stopped westbound left-turning cars obstructs seeing westbound thru traffic that does not stop.  There have been a few crashes and other near-hits.  For my city, that's a lot.

MATraveler128

Oversized I-95 shield on Massachusetts paddle sign in Wakefield. Looks to be put up as an afterthought.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

DRMan

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 13, 2023, 11:12:54 AM

Oversized I-95 shield on Massachusetts paddle sign in Wakefield. Looks to be put up as an afterthought.

Is the I-95 shield covering a MA 128 shield?

5foot14

Quote from: DRMan on April 13, 2023, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 13, 2023, 11:12:54 AM

Is the I-95 shield covering a MA 128 shield?
No the oversized 95 is covering a faded, almost white, 95 shield

SM-A515U

Amaury

Quote from: Amaury on November 17, 2022, 06:28:56 PMUnique reassurance shields with a black background and white text in Monitor, Washington: https://goo.gl/maps/MVwR2Pwk3p5Jc8p68

For comparison to the normal ones: https://goo.gl/maps/XcdgGcSe6xM8UFkT9

Another one like the first link above with the US 2 and SR 17 concurrency: https://goo.gl/maps/TeiicLWAB85xKERL7
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

thenetwork

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 13, 2023, 12:15:10 AM
As a side note, I find it incredibly frustrating the way neighborhoods get to block parents from picking up or dropping off kids from school. I don't think it's fair, unless your streets are private. Public streets should be fair game. Otherwise you end up funneling everyone to one or two locations and it just doesn't work.

My neighborhood does nothing of the sort, and it's incredibly frustrating that parents are allowed to completely disregard the clearly posted parking rules ("No Parking Any Time"), drive in the bike lane, etc., because they are In Line To Pick Up Their Kid. This is despite the fact that the street is only wide enough to fit three cars abreast, so if there are people In Line (which apparently confers the status effects "Better Than You" and "Immune To All Laws"), you basically have a one lane road to work with, and bikes can just fuck right off, I guess.

I grew up in the days when parents *rarely* would pick up their kids from school and they either walked home by themselves or took a bus ‐- and even then you didn't j have any parents waiting at the corner bus stops.

Also, in my neck of the woods, crossing guards were.*school kids* which were "trained" by the local AAA affiliate. 

This was back in the 70s, when neighborhoods were much safer and trusting.

fillup420

Quote from: LilianaUwU on April 11, 2023, 09:18:02 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2023, 12:38:56 PM
This one with a later added US 17 shield couldn't have the engineer gauge it out first.

Jesus, I know roadgeeks love when old road signs stay up, but with how unreadable this is, it should be replaced.

what exactly is "unreadable" on this sign assembly? Sure, i have seen better-looking signs. It still gets the message across though. Stay straight for Wrightsville Beach. 98% of drivers are not following US 17 or US 76 through there anyway.

Amaury

Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JoePCool14

Maybe that's a failure of the city to not provide adequate places to pick up then. Parents shouldn't be allowed to go and sit everywhere.

The street where I live saw parents parking on both sides. Then a few years ago, signs were installed prohibiting parking on one side because it was too tight. Most people have obeyed it and only park on the one side, which keeps things more manageable. But if you completely block parking, stopping, or standing in a wide radius around the school on all streets, that's bull.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Rothman

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 15, 2023, 09:25:27 AM

Maybe that's a failure of the city to not provide adequate places to pick up then. Parents shouldn't be allowed to go and sit everywhere.

The street where I live saw parents parking on both sides. Then a few years ago, signs were installed prohibiting parking on one side because it was too tight. Most people have obeyed it and only park on the one side, which keeps things more manageable. But if you completely block parking, stopping, or standing in a wide radius around the school on all streets, that's bull.

Your paragraphs are contradictory.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Amaury

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2023, 09:04:26 AMThen how did you read it?

I should have clarified. Looking at a still picture, the one that's heavily faded on the left is easier to see, especially when zooming in. Drivers just driving by, however, aren't going to see it.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

fillup420

Quote from: Amaury on April 15, 2023, 04:02:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2023, 09:04:26 AMThen how did you read it?

I should have clarified. Looking at a still picture, the one that's heavily faded on the left is easier to see, especially when zooming in. Drivers just driving by, however, aren't going to see it.

yea with the way folks drive in Wilmington, I can almost guarantee no one is looking at that sign.

Scott5114

But if you completely block parking, stopping, or standing in a wide radius around the school on all streets, that's bull.

It's no parking any time up and down the street that the school is on, not just around the school, because it has bike lanes. So in order to park on that street, you have to park in the bike lane. Which means it's not very effective as a bike lane anymore.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Rothman on April 15, 2023, 10:58:55 AM

Your paragraphs are contradictory.

Which paragraphs? I said that there should be some restrictions as to where parents should go, but they shouldn't be so restrictive to the point you have no options. Prohibit obvious things like stopping on major roads and arterials. Or prohibit parking on one side of a neighborhood street if it's narrow. But don't place blanket restrictions across entire neighborhoods because neighbors can't handle cars being parked on their road for 20 minutes.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2023, 02:20:02 AM
But if you completely block parking, stopping, or standing in a wide radius around the school on all streets, that's bull.

It's no parking any time up and down the street that the school is on, not just around the school, because it has bike lanes. So in order to park on that street, you have to park in the bike lane. Which means it's not very effective as a bike lane anymore.

That's fine. That makes sense. Alternatively, the city could've also added some parking bump-outs around the school to accommodate a handful of cars without blocking the bike lanes.

AzNate

New Mexico signage is perfect for this thread. I think this sign on I-25 in New Mexico is one of the weirdest I've ever seen.

Also on I-25, is this seemingly random Clearview sign.

More Clearview in Farmington, NM, along with signs that should not be green at all.

Oh, and this is also on I-25.

roadman65

North Avenue goes east, not I-95.

Should be TO between east and the I-95 and NJ Turnpike shields.

Sheryl Crowe

thenetwork

A few months ago, I said in the thread that a billboard in Moab, UT on US 191 NORTH looked like it recycled an old freeway sign...  I was excited to see it in the distance coming from the south on my way home today..

Well, with all the recent fierce winds, the fabric for the actual billboard ad gave way, and the BGS is now on display as of today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/198139625@N03/albums/72177720307625887/

The bad news is that someone already defaced it, if you look closely at the close up shot -- although they are technically correct S this is US 191 NORTH...

JoePCool14

RE: New Mexico signs. It's been a while since I've seen anything quite that terrible. Those are definitely Worst Of. Aside from the Clearview sign, which actually looks... good?

New Mexico giving Oklahoma another run for their money.

kphoger

I've said it before and I'll say it again:  the roads and signage in New Mexico resemble those in "old" Mexico a lot more than they should.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thenetwork

Quote from: kphoger on April 20, 2023, 10:53:51 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again:  the roads and signage in New Mexico resemble those in "old" Mexico a lot more than they should.

I think I have counted at LEAST 5 different variations of the New Mexico State Route shields.  No conformity at all in the state.

Well. Except for the big orange road project signs that begin with "Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham"...Given the conditions of many of the state highways there, I wouldn't want to put my name out there in public --especially when the roads start to crumble again 3 or 4 years afterwards.

AzNate

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 20, 2023, 12:24:24 AM
RE: New Mexico signs. It's been a while since I've seen anything quite that terrible. Those are definitely Worst Of. Aside from the Clearview sign, which actually looks... good?

New Mexico giving Oklahoma another run for their money.

Yes, I was very surprised when I saw that Clearview sign in New Mexico (and outside of Farmington), especially since it actually looks good.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.