News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most common speed limit sign in your area

Started by hotdogPi, December 16, 2018, 10:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Where I live, 35 seems to be most common. This is partially because it's a reasonable limit, and partially because unposted roads are either 30 or 40, but not 35. Eastern MA does not post 45+ without good reason (e.g. no traffic lights or major cross streets for several miles, perfectly straight road, super-2, etc.).

This is highly localized. Go east into the more rural areas (e.g. Boxford), and it becomes 40 (25 speed traps are common, but not common enough to take the lead). Go south toward Boston, and it becomes 30. Go north into New Hampshire, and I don't know, since I mostly stay in Massachusetts with the exception of I-93 and NH 28 in Salem.

However:
MIT made a map of all speed limits in Massachusetts. There are a few that are either outdated or wrong (MA 110 on the Methuen—Haverhill border is listed as 50, while it is posted as 45), but it is mostly accurate. According to this, I might be seeing 35 a lot because of which roads I use often, not because it's actually the most common.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ipeters61

I get the impression that 50 is the most common in Central and Southern Delaware, which is the highest speed limit Delaware has on two-lane roads (of course, the most common type around me).  That is also the statutory speed limit on a rural two-lane road (title 21, section 4169) and the speed limit on US-13 approaching Dover from the south (though 55 is the statutory maximum speed limit on divided highways and the speed limit for the vast majority of US-13 in the state).  I was actually kind of surprised yesterday when I was driving on a back road out of Dover and saw that the speed limit jumped to 50 so quickly.

Within Dover, at least downtown, 25 seems to be the most common, as those are city streets.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Max Rockatansky

Most streets surrounding the Fresno area outside the city limits don't have one which means 55 MPH by default.  Even the weird little farm roads or single lane mountain routes are 55 unless otherwise signed.  But to that end I'd say the most common speed limit is probably 45!MPH in the city. 

jeffandnicole

NJ has so many varying speed limits, I can't think of a single common one.

1995hoo

Based on the prevalence of residential streets and subdivisions, I'd have to assume 25.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

allniter89

I live in a rural area so 55mph is the most common speed limit. Drivers regularly drive 65 with little concern of speed enforcement. I live on a private road so no speed limit, the blacktop roads to the highway are posted 30, totally ignored.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Going to guess "TOWN/VILLAGE/CITY SPEED LIMIT 30" in most of downstate NY.

ce929wax

I would say 25 in the city, and 40 in the township.  Country roads are 55 in Michigan unless otherwise posted.  I learned the hard way that this is not the case in every state.  I got a 200 dollar ticket for doing 55 on a road that turned out to be 35 in Texas.

vdeane

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on December 16, 2018, 09:45:30 PM
Going to guess "TOWN/VILLAGE/CITY SPEED LIMIT 30" in most of downstate NY.
Most urban/suburban/village areas of upstate, too.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 16, 2018, 11:07:05 AM
NJ has so many varying speed limits, I can't think of a single common one.
The area immediately surrounding where I live is 25. Even roads that are 35 and 40 further away from me drop down to 25. On the other hand, the area immediately surrounding where I work is 35, even though those speed limits go up to 45 further away.

The *least* common speed limit between 25 and 65 in NJ is 30. It's barely ever used. Except 60. That's *never* used (except once temporarily in a construction zone on the Atlantic City Expressway)

ipeters61

Quote from: bzakharin on December 17, 2018, 02:13:16 PM
The *least* common speed limit between 25 and 65 in NJ is 30. It's barely ever used. Except 60. That's *never* used (except once temporarily in a construction zone on the Atlantic City Expressway)
I can't think of a permanent 60 MPH speed limit in any northeastern state, except for Delaware, on DE-1 through Dover Air Force Base (Exits 91 to 95).
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

hotdogPi

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 17, 2018, 02:57:50 PM
I can't think of a permanent 60 MPH speed limit in any northeastern state, except for Delaware, on DE-1 through Dover Air Force Base (Exits 91 to 95).

MA 3. It's still extremely rare, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

doorknob60

In Boise, it's probably 20. Default residential limit, and a lot of them are unposted, but generally you get one sign at the entrance to the neighborhood from the major street. So the 20 signs probably outnumber anything else. Beyond that, I'd say 30 MPH and 35 MPH are probably neck and neck, both being the common limits on arterial and collector streets. 35 is probably more common once you consider the farther west sprawl of Boise (with 30 MPH being more common around downtown, north end, the bench, etc.).

In Meridian, 25 is the default residential speed limit, so for the same reason as Boise, that's probably the most common limit sign. Because of that, I'm not aware of any 20 MPH speed limits on public streets in Meridian city limits (not counting school zones); though, there are 20 MPH butting up against city limits (good job, well posted on each side): GSV Link EDIT: I may have found a 20 in Meridian, though I am not actually positive which city it's in, Google Maps may be wrong: Link (the top left of GSV says Boise, but if you look at the city limits on the map, it shows as in Meridian). After that, it would probably be 40 MPH, with 35 MPH close behind. The nicer/widened arterials are usually 40, and the narrower or more crowded ones (eg lots of driveways) are 35. Unlike Boise, 30 MPH is very rare (I can only think of a few, one of which used to be 25 until a few months ago).

MikeTheActuary

I don't know if it's the most common speed limit sign in my immediate area, but there do seem to be quite a few

MAXIMUM
SECTEUR

signs in my current area.

Eth

Almost certainly 25 due to the sheer number of residential streets around me. Most of the arterials are posted at 35, but I think the neighborhoods win on volume.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/DnazUVLNxapf8PMV6
New York wins with the default 55 sign.

Figure why start a new thread when this old one will do.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on December 17, 2018, 07:14:34 PM
I don't know if it's the most common speed limit sign in my immediate area, but there do seem to be quite a few

MAXIMUM
SECTEUR

signs in my current area.

5-year-old post, but same with

MAXIMUM
SECTEUR

I even have one of those in my apartment, rescued from a street corner nearby after being knocked down by a snowplow.

In general, though, I'd assume 30 km/h or 50 km/h is the most common speed limit sign in Québec City... though the 30 SECTEUR sign may be up there.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

WillWeaverRVA

45 in Chesterfield County, 25 in the City of Richmond.

The speed limits in the City of Richmond have been gradually dropping and there are very few surface roads with speed limits higher than 35 anymore. There are even some streets with 20 mph speed limits. VA 147 south of the James River was recently reduced to 35.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Hunty2022

Speed Limit 45 is the most common for Greene County, VA. Speed Limit 40 is likely second.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

bzakharin

In my area of Cherry Hill, NJ and sections of adjacent municipalities there is no common speed limit other than 25 for residential areas. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some roads or sections of road are signed 40, 45, 50, or 55. 30, though, is conspicuously absent (and is rare throughout the state) and I know of only two roads nearby that are 35.

Once you get to the more rural parts of Camden County (and adjacent South Jersey areas) they seem to like 40 and 50 the most on 2-lane roads, and 55 on larger ones. On the other hand, where I used to work in Atlantic County, 35 and 45 were the ones most frequently used on 2-lane roads.

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 08, 2023, 11:17:14 AM
45 in Chesterfield County, 25 in the City of Richmond.

The speed limits in the City of Richmond have been gradually dropping and there are very few surface roads with speed limits higher than 35 anymore. There are even some streets with 20 mph speed limits. VA 147 south of the James River was recently reduced to 35.

Having driven it the other day, everyone still goes 45+ on it, even Richmond police. 1/301 south of downtown was also dropped to 35 all the way to the Chesterfield line.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MATraveler128

Quote from: 1 on December 17, 2018, 02:59:27 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on December 17, 2018, 02:57:50 PM
MA 3. It's still extremely rare, though.

MA 24 northbound in Fall River is posted at 60 just before the MA 79 merge.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.