Construction underway, or completed?

Started by TheHighwayMan3561, September 01, 2019, 09:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

I was talking to some people yesterday about whether meet attendees prefer to view projects while they're being constructed, or after completion, since meets seem to go both ways based on the size and scope of the project. They both offer different pros and cons. What about you?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

I'm more into completed for meets, though underway can be interesting (I hosted the Utica/Rome meet while the Arterial construction was still ongoing, though the Arterial was open through the project).  "Completed" means "can be clinched", and if I'm traveling overnight for a meet, I likely won't be in a position to go back to the area to clinch the road being built for a while.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cjk374

My meet last year included a stop at the I-220/I-49 interchange construction site. The work was about 98% complete at that time. The overhead signs were up, so pictures were taken without traffic concerns. (and to see the horse...those who came know what I mean) I think this was a plus, and it gave some folks a reason to come back when it finally opened later that year.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

My meets have tended to focus on under-construction projects.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Either.  An incomplete, but under construction project can be fun, as can a fully complete project.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ozarkman417

I haven't attended a meet yet but I think it's more interesting when a road is under construction (as long as I can actually travel on the road while it's under construction).

Alps

I prefer it under construction for a meet, because a) you can always drive the completed roadway later and it'll just be a normal road, and b) while the new road is under construction, you can see that and still drive the old road. Maybe more applicable for bridges, but imagine having a bridge meet after the old one is torn down! Plus when it's under construction it's much easier to walk on it.

Dougtone

Under construction, but I can appreciate a newly completed road too.

Beltway

Both, view projects while they're being constructed, and view after completion assuming a very recent completion that I may not yet have driven.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.