News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kansas City road meet: October 17, 2020

Started by Nikolai, March 22, 2020, 09:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your preferred meet dates?

Saturday, October 3
4 (33.3%)
Sunday, October 4
2 (16.7%)
Saturday, October 10
6 (50%)
Sunday, October 11
2 (16.7%)
Saturday, October 17
8 (66.7%)
Sunday, October 18
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 20, 2020, 09:17:35 PM

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 11, 2020, 07:42:40 PM
That's something I haven't taken in to account- I live with older family members. Personally, I'm not be too worried, as I am only 17.

But being 17 brings up another issue: I've never gone further than 50 miles away from town driving by myself. I have my license, time, and money if needed. My issue lies in two questions:

-Will the participants of the meet want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

-Will my family want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

When I was 17, my parents were very protective of me and would not have allowed me, in a million years, to meet anyone in person from online.  (Actually, the Internet was just starting to become popular when I was 17... although I did have the opportunity once in a while to participate in online chat rooms and whatnot.)

While you are probably too young to attend a road meet by yourself, there have been a few occasions where kids younger than you have attended road meets with either or both of their parents.  Do you have a parent, or older sibling, who would be interested in supporting you in this hobby and bringing you to the meet?  While the overwhelming majority of folks who attend road meets are at least in their mid twenties, we are a friendly group altogether and welcome attendees of all ages, but I would say for younger folks such as yourself, we would generally prefer that you not come alone but with a parent or older sibling.  (I'm only speaking for myself but I'm guessing others would agree with me.)

Many of us in the roadgeek community have gotten to know each other quite well over the years, and maybe when you're older and have the ability/permission to attend a road meet by yourself, you'll feel more comfortable attending road meets.
-A.J. from Michigan

Nikolai

Quote from: ozarkman417 on October 11, 2020, 07:42:40 PM
-Will the participants of the meet want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

-Will my family want a 17 year old driving three hours away from home to meet strangers on the internet during a pandemic?

My experience differs from A.J.'s, since I did socialize with older friends from the Internet at 17, and it was a fun experience. But I believe your guardians are legally responsible for your whereabouts until you turn 18, so whether they're present or not, getting their permission is key.

brianreynolds

OK, the shifting sands have created a potential opening for me to attend.  Is there a central hotel for out-of-town folks?

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: brianreynolds on October 13, 2020, 09:48:28 PM
OK, the shifting sands have created a potential opening for me to attend.  Is there a central hotel for out-of-town folks?

I'm glad to hear that you might be able to make it!  I haven't discussed lodging with any of the other attendees, but I'll be staying at the Hampton Inn in downtown Kansas City (MO) Friday night and Saturday night.
-A.J. from Michigan

kphoger

The EconoLodge near North Kansas City Hospital (I-35 Exit #6) is halfway decent at a reasonable price.  My wife has stayed there before during a convention.  It's possible to find slightly better ones for additional cost.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ozarkman417

Have fun, and drive safe. Post some pictures in this thread if you'd like. I've determined that it is not in my best interest to attend this meet for reasons I've already discussed. Instead, I am at a very different meet: a cross country meet. I look forward to attending future road meets once I am able to do so.

Highway63

Field-check reports and other:

-MO 283 has been almost decommissioned. Oak Trafficway has been rebuilt north of 32nd Street, which is a KC/North KC city limit line. Most recent picture on GMSV shows a 283 shield on SB I-29, but not NB, and there are no longer shields pointing to 283 from 69 (Vivion Road). The 2017 state map marks "Spur 9" but the split with MO 9, and one subsequent shield, show 283.
-MO 152 has been dropped between I-35 and MO 291, similarly after a complete rebuild, as shown on the state map.
-MO 269 is shown on the state map as continuing to Front Street, but there are no signs south of MO 210 and the exit from MO 210 only points northward. I think, because of the map and the Missouri River bridge being probably key to its existence, this stays as is.
-MO 33 is greened-out from NB I-29 exit 20, and since there were no signs on the US 69 duplex, its end should be unambiguous now.

-Let's take a moment and laugh again at our bad timing regarding the opening of the Manchester Avenue ramp.
-My camera still appears to be working fine!
-Parts along MO 291 are already too late to become controlled-access, but MoDOT should try to save the rest.
-Despite some bad decisions, I still got to Unionville, at the Alamo Inn. I highly recommend it.
-Centerville's original Motel 60 does not appear to be active anymore, and the new one has been rebranded.

Nikolai

The extreme winds didn't get in the way of the fun we had. Thanks for attending, everyone! Here's my group photo.

Alps

Quote from: Nikolai on October 22, 2020, 06:38:23 PM
The extreme winds didn't get in the way of the fun we had. Thanks for attending, everyone! Here's my group photo.
Before I clicked: "It'll be a bunch of people in masks and Brandon"
After I clicked: "Oh, okay, and Gene"

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2020, 07:38:15 PM
Almost makes you wonder why Gene wore a mask for the group photo at the LaCrosse meet (Gene, as well as the rest of us, didn't have a mask for the Cincinnati meet photo)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 22, 2020, 10:27:23 PM
Almost makes you wonder why Gene wore a mask for the group photo at the LaCrosse meet (Gene, as well as the rest of us, didn't have a mask for the Cincinnati meet photo)
Look, it's outdoors, but you're near other people. As long as you're not breathing on them, it's a question of what you want to be captured in the photo. Brandon and Gene are standing off to the side not breathing toward others, so it's fine.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Alps on October 22, 2020, 10:31:41 PM
Look, it's outdoors, but you're near other people. As long as you're not breathing on them, it's a question of what you want to be captured in the photo. Brandon and Gene are standing off to the side not breathing toward others, so it's fine.
Yet, you still go out of your way to reference Brandon not having a mask.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Alps

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on October 22, 2020, 11:03:45 PM
I was amused that I predicted it, not even knowing if he'd be at the meet

Brandon

Of course he does.  He's paranoid.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Quote from: Brandon on October 23, 2020, 06:27:44 AM

Paranoid, meet Brandon. Brandon, meet Paranoid.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 24, 2020, 05:10:44 AM
Quote from: Brandon on October 23, 2020, 06:27:44 AM

Paranoid, meet Brandon. Brandon, meet Paranoid.
Hi dad, I'm dad. Hi dad, I'm dad. Hi dad, I'm dad.

hbelkins

Different legal requirements for the different locations and dates? Kentucky didn't have anything mandated back in the spring, but my understanding is Wisconsin did on the date of the LaCrosse meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on October 24, 2020, 04:03:18 PM
Different legal requirements for the different locations and dates? Kentucky didn't have anything mandated back in the spring, but my understanding is Wisconsin did on the date of the LaCrosse meet.

Those photos from the Cincinnati meet were outdoors anyhow.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.