News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Lesser Divides (sports edition)

Started by jp the roadgeek, January 20, 2021, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Deflategate was a massively overblown story that Goodell just used to get people off the league's backs regarding supposed favoritism of the Patriots.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on January 31, 2021, 11:23:32 PM
Deflategate was a massively overblown story that Goodell just used to get people off the league's backs regarding supposed favoritism of the Patriots.
You are a laughable apologist. Goodell mishandled it intentionally and frontloaded the Cheaters' schedule with weak teams to make sure they'd come out okay. Goodell and Kraft ruined the NFL together and it's unwatchable at this point as a result.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on January 31, 2021, 11:21:34 PM
I'm late to this party, but sorry webny99, rivalries are generally at least a little bit competitive. Pats vs. Bills and Jets was not competitive for a good 20 years. That's not a rivalry, that's one team hating the other, and the other not caring. Pats/Colts, Pats/Steelers, Pats/Broncos, and Pats/Ravens were the true rivalries of the Patriots dynasty.
Those are not rivalries, those are teams good at the same time. Rivalries outlast that.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2021, 01:40:02 AM
Quote from: thspfc on January 31, 2021, 11:23:32 PM
You are a laughable apologist. Goodell mishandled it intentionally and frontloaded the Cheaters' schedule with weak teams to make sure they'd come out okay. Goodell and Kraft ruined the NFL together and it's unwatchable at this point as a result.
Ah yes, weak teams, such as:
Cardinals: went 13-3 and made the NFC title game in 2015 (the year before the suspension)
Dolphins: a team the Patriots always struggled with during the dynasty, and they actually lost 20-10 to Miami the last week of the 2015 season
Texans: won their division in 2015

Wow, such an easy schedule, right?  :rolleyes:

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on February 01, 2021, 01:40:27 AM
I'm late to this party, but sorry webny99, rivalries are generally at least a little bit competitive. Pats vs. Bills and Jets was not competitive for a good 20 years. That's not a rivalry, that's one team hating the other, and the other not caring. Pats/Colts, Pats/Steelers, Pats/Broncos, and Pats/Ravens were the true rivalries of the Patriots dynasty.
Those are not rivalries, those are teams good at the same time. Rivalries outlast that.
I thought rivalries were about two teams and fanbases hating each other? Because that's what those four matchups are. Other notable inter-division rivalries in the league are Vikings/Saints, Packers/Seahawks, and Packers/Cowboys.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 01, 2021, 11:53:33 AM
I thought rivalries were about two teams and fanbases hating each other? Because that's what those four matchups are. Other notable inter-division rivalries in the league are Vikings/Saints, Packers/Seahawks, and Packers/Cowboys.

What do you call the relationship between teams in a division if not a rivalry? It's literally the dictionary definition of rivalry:
noun: competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

In the case of the AFC East, even though the Patriots were dominant, it doesn't make it not a rivalry. The teams and fanbases still hate each other. And of course there can be inter-division rivalries, which also tend to outlast the teams being good. I would put Pats-Steelers in that category.

hbelkins

Sounds like a couple of rivalries involving Tennessee football. Kentucky considers Tennessee to be a huge rival, but because the Vols had the Cats' number for so many years, Tennessee fans didn't give it a second thought. On the other hand, Tennessee considers Alabama to be a hated rival, but the Tide just brushes off the Vols.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings/Saints isn't a rivalry except to a few remaining bitter Vikings fans from 10 years ago. They met in the playoffs twice in three years in 2017 and 2019, but there's no special animosity between them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 01, 2021, 04:33:06 PM
Vikings/Saints isn't a rivalry except to a few remaining bitter Vikings fans from 10 years ago. They met in the playoffs twice in three years in 2017 and 2019, but there's no special animosity between them.

I'd like to hear what Saints fans have to say about that. Patriots fans of the 2000's and 2010's might not have called the Bills or Jets a major rival either, but the feelings of animosity are always much stronger on the side having less success.

thspfc

Quote from: hbelkins on February 01, 2021, 04:01:58 PM

Sounds like a couple of rivalries involving Tennessee football. Kentucky considers Tennessee to be a huge rival, but because the Vols had the Cats' number for so many years, Tennessee fans didn't give it a second thought. On the other hand, Tennessee considers Alabama to be a hated rival, but the Tide just brushes off the Vols.
Exactly. A true rivalry needs both teams to buy in. Ohio State vs. Michigan, Alabama vs. Auburn, Florida vs. Florida State for example.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2021, 12:10:39 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 01, 2021, 11:53:33 AM

What do you call the relationship between teams in a division if not a rivalry? It's literally the dictionary definition of rivalry:
noun: competition for the same objective or for superiority in the same field.

In the case of the AFC East, even though the Patriots were dominant, it doesn't make it not a rivalry. The teams and fanbases still hate each other. And of course there can be inter-division rivalries, which also tend to outlast the teams being good. I would put Pats-Steelers in that category.
Did you read the whole comment? The Bills and Jets were just teams on the Pats' schedule for 20 years. I don't think any of those Pats players circled those games on the calendar before the season. It's not a rivalry if one team is into it and the other is not interested. Now, Pats/Dolphins might be different. Away at Miami was quite possibly the most difficult game to win for New England during their dynasty, so there's no doubt that they started to focus a little more on that game than others mentally.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 26, 2021, 10:31:14 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2021, 09:45:06 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 20, 2021, 02:32:37 PM
Yankees fans who are Pats fans

:banghead:

Met a guy once who was a fan of the Cowboys, Lakers and Yankees. Never wanted to punch anybody more than I wanted to punch him.

Knowing him, he was probably a Duke fan too.

What drives me crazy is the Red Sox/Yankees divide through Central CT.  It wavers based on the successes of each team, but there is NO WAY that my town (which is in Hartford County) is 60/40 Yankees (unless the cable company, which refused to add NESN until 2005 but added YES on day one, did the survey).   
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

I grew up going to both Cubs and White Sox games.  Call me a heretic.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: kphoger on February 06, 2021, 10:43:50 AM

I would think it would be worse if you grew up going to both Cubs and Cardinals games.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 09, 2021, 10:29:55 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 06, 2021, 10:43:50 AM

I would think it would be worse if you grew up going to both Cubs and Cardinals games.

My parents lived in Saint Louis for a number of years before I was born.  They also grew up in Kansas City.  So my dad actually cheers for the Royals (even though he was almost done with high school by the time they started playing), Cardinals, Cubs, and White Sox.

I'm a little iffy on the timing of their moves before I was born, so I'm not sure if they lived in Charleston (IL) before or after they lived in Saint Louis, but I'm certain it was before they lived in the Chicago area.  I say that because I don't know what team they cheer for in Charleston, but it wouldn't have mattered to my dad anyway, because he wouldn't have become a Chicago fan yet either way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.