News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NBC to Drop 10 PM Hour???

Started by Henry, August 30, 2022, 12:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Well, it seems to me that all NPR affiliates (in the 88.1-91.9 range) are either classical or jazz (and not the Kenny G type either!). I was born at a time when freeform radio was all the rage, because these stations allowed anybody with an eclectic collection to showcase their records on the air, so for example, Santana could be followed by Johnny Cash, then Herbie Hancock and so on, and several of my friends in college took advantage of this opportunity and had fun with it. I really wish they would come back, at least to the commercial side of the dial (92-108 FM, or if you wanted to be precise, 92.1-107.9), but sadly, that time is long gone, thanks to an over saturation of syndicated shows that has affected damn near every format that you could think of.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

Around here, NPR has a variety of programming, depending on when you tune in.  I can easily get two different stations, and I listen to them regularly in the car.

On my morning commute to work, I listen to programming that's a combination of news and interviews.  Then, depending on the day of the week, there's also a short bit about new video games, local events in town, mental health topics, book review, or movie review.  On my afternoon commute home, I have my choice between news on one station or classical music on the other.

On Saturday mornings, on the way to the grocery store and while driving between stores, we listen to Says You! and A Way with Words, which interest me because I love language.  By the time we're done shopping, there's some BBC news blurbs and/or a discussion about climate issues.  I think Saturday afternoons have jazz and blues and I don't remember what else, because I'm not usually driving then.  On Wednesday evenings on the way home from church activities, I can choose between jazz on one station or classical on the other.  Late in the evenings, one of them airs ambient and similar new-age music, which is awesome for driving after dark.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2022, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 12, 2022, 07:30:07 PM
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 12, 2022, 03:28:54 AM
Everyone stops following current music after leaving college and growing up.

I don't know that that's universally true. I still get exposed to current music through things like intercom systems, and I'll listen to current music on over-the-air radio on occasion. There's a lot I don't like, but every once in a while I'll find something new that's good enough I would buy it (if I were in the habit of doing so).

Definitely not true in my case. Once I was out of college (December 1983) and had more disposable income, I purchased more music -- specifically, more NEW music, as I spent my high school and college years collecting the back catalogs of artists I had discovered.

This continued until about 2001 or so, when I began to discover that new artists were nowhere near as good as the artists I already liked. I'm having trouble discovering the 2022 heirs to Rush, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Metalllica, etc.

In the last 20 years I've acquired more new releases from artists I already liked than I have releases from new artists.

There's a reason people who came of age in the 70s, 80s, and early 90s say music isn't the same as it used to be.

My guess is that the new music you'd like is still getting made, you'd just have to deep dive into Spotify or YouTube or something like that to discover it, rather than the radio handing it to you.

My wife still listens to new music in the same vein as the pop-punk music she listened to when she was in high school in the mid-2000s, even though that style is no longer what's pushed on the radio–the difference is that now it's all bands I've never heard anyone but her talk about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ErmineNotyours

I volunteered at the Washington State University student radio station KZZU, so when I started getting disposable income I started searching out the good music I discovered from that station.  Then I settled not into current music but newer music from the few artists I got to like.  Later I got forced to listen to the rap station at work, playing the same songs once an hour over and over again.  Only babies like hearing the same song over and over again.  By then, radio was for people too stupid to figure out how to use an iPod.  At least currently the unavoidable work music is from streaming services, and they don't play the same few songs over and over again.

hbelkins

And please, no one recommend Greta Van Fleet as an artist I should look into given my oft-mentioned tastes. I've tried listening to them and just can't get into them. I've heard people say "if you like Rush..." and "if you like Zep..." and I know they toured with Metallica, but they aren't the tunes I've been looking for.

Quote from: SP Cook on September 13, 2022, 12:15:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 13, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
I'm not so sure about "college radio." Most of the official college stations that can be picked up in this area are NPR affiliates (gag) from Morehead State and Eastern Kentucky universities. A lot of national lack-of-passion talk -- NPR talk shows have always been, to me, a good insomnia cure -- and classical music.

I guess the bigger schools have lower-power student-run stations staffed by volunteers, where the type of music played depends on the DJ's preferences.

In WV, NPR is as you describe, classical music (AKA a musical genre that cannot make it on the free market, so its fans demand taxwaste for it) and NPR's take on the news (which isn't very different from the MSM).

However this is unrelated to the colleges.  The state's two real universities have student run stations, WMUL and WWVU, which play music as you describe, plus some talk shows where they will let anybody try their hand so you get a lot of wingnut types, and people wanting to be sportscasters so they do all the not football and not men's basketball sports. 

The deal is that, before automation ruined local radio, you could volunteer at these places and learn a useful skill, in front of the mike or on the tech side.  I know a lot of people who learned the radio business at WMUL, went back home to the small towns, and who could moonlight at the local radio station for some $$.

As a young and easily manipulated college student, I let my advisor (who got fired after my sophomore year for a variety of reasons) talk me into not minoring in radio/TV. She said, "print journalists and broadcast journalists don't get along" and forced me into a government minor instead.

I wish I'd forced the issue. My knowledge of parliamentary democracies and the United Nations gleaned in those GOVT classes hasn't done me a bit of good in the real world, although I know what "Bundestag" and "Bundesrat" mean. At the very least, I should have taken the voice and articulation class that was offered as part of the R/TV curriculum. It could have helped me in broadcast interviews and public speaking, two things I'm called on to do fairly often but two things I'm not good at because I sound awful when I talk.

I probably could have gotten some gigs moonlighting as a sports color commentator over the years if I had some broadcast experience and voice and articulation training.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

NPR has a few stations in the Seattle area, the big two being KUOW and KNKX. I mostly listen to KUOW, which has a good mix of both local programming and syndicated national/international broadcasts. Depending on when I'm out and about in the car, I'll try to tune into BBC Newshour, The Daily, All Things Considered, Marketplace, and Fresh Air.

GCrites

What if NBC affiliates use their free hour at 10 to show Supertrain reruns?

abefroman329

Quote from: GCrites80s on October 05, 2022, 10:59:18 AM
Stop threatening me with a good time!

triplemultiplex

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2022, 11:02:07 AM

<Searches internet>
Good lord, what a bonkers premise for a TV show.
Pretty much Love Boat on nuclear-powered high speed train?
Wow.  Just, wow...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

abefroman329

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 05, 2022, 02:37:26 PM

<Searches internet>
Wow.  Just, wow...
Keep researching, it only gets more bonkers as you keep digging.

SP Cook

<Searches internet>
Wow.  Just, wow...

It was actually worse than the description makes it seem. 

ZLoth

Quote from: abefroman329 on October 05, 2022, 03:03:57 PM

<Searches internet>
Wow.  Just, wow...
Keep researching, it only gets more bonkers as you keep digging.

Supertrain makes Ressha Sentai ToQger look perfectly sane.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

-- US 175 --

The Today show did a big feature on Supertrain prior to its debut.

https://youtu.be/gy8Qe7hTcBE

Also, Supertrain gets the Wikipedia treatment, including a list of episodes and cast, the production costs, as well as airtimes of the few episodes aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertrain

abefroman329

I wonder if the episode of Quincy that aired after Supertrain was better than Supertrain.

GCrites

Crazy
Best describes this showww
Millions of dollars
Thrown in a hole

Maybe
It's not too late
To clone the Love Boat
Wednesdays at 8

Nobody is watching
Such a bitter shame

Model's going off the rails to make Supertrain

SectorZ

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on October 06, 2022, 11:43:21 AM
Also, Supertrain gets the Wikipedia treatment, including a list of episodes and cast, the production costs, as well as airtimes of the few episodes aired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertrain

Can you imagine what the ratings of a show today would be ranking 69th of 114 in a year? A 15.7 rating in 2022 is about three times higher than the #1 show in a week. What a landscape change.

bing101

Comcast shuts down G4 Network. Not shocking though given that the company has been putting all it's efforts to boost attention to Peacock app.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/comcast-pulls-plug-on-g4-tv-ending-comeback-try-video-game-network-1235145219/

JoePCool14

Quote from: bing101 on October 17, 2022, 09:01:33 AM
Comcast shuts down G4 Network. Not shocking though given that the company has been putting all it's efforts to boost attention to Peacock app.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/comcast-pulls-plug-on-g4-tv-ending-comeback-try-video-game-network-1235145219/

It's also not shocking given how G4 in the modern era just can't compete with the amount of content on YouTube and Twitch. Its only claims to fame were (1) nostalgia, and (2) "Video games on TV!!! OMG!" Of course G4's reboot was gonna flop.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

GCrites

^I admit that news did make me go back and watch an episode of The Screen Savers on ZDTV from 1999.

kkt

<Searches internet>
Wow.  Just, wow...

Oh, god, I had just about suppressed all memory of that.  I watched one episode back when it was first run.  I still want that hour back!

golden eagle

G4 was still around?

-- US 175 --

Quote from: golden eagle on February 21, 2023, 11:51:47 PM

G4 was still around?

No, it had just been brought back.

ET21

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on February 22, 2023, 02:35:34 AM
Quote from: golden eagle on February 21, 2023, 11:51:47 PM

G4 was still around?

No, it had just been brought back.

Maybe third times the charm
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.