News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is any of this forum in ChatGPT's corpus?

Started by hotdogPi, December 07, 2022, 05:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 07, 2023, 09:04:19 PM
Prompt:  "Explain how runaway truck ramps work"

ChatGPT:  "Runaway truck ramps (also known as emergency escape ramps) are designed to assist truck drivers in stopping their vehicles in the event of a brake failure. These ramps are usually located on steep highways and mountain roads, where the risk of trucks losing control and speeding down the road is high. The ramps work by providing an inclined surface for the truck's wheels to roll up, gradually slowing down the vehicle as it comes to a stop. The ramps are typically made of concrete or asphalt, and are angled in such a way as to ensure that the truck's momentum is gradually absorbed as it rolls up the ramp. Once the truck comes to a stop, it can be safely parked or attended to by the authorities."

It sounds high-verbal, but look closely and you can see how nonsensical it is.

I'd love to see how well a concrete-paved truck ramp works.

SectorZ

ChatGPT:  "Runaway truck ramps (also known as emergency escape ramps) are designed to assist truck drivers in stopping their vehicles in the event of a brake failure. These ramps are usually located on steep highways and mountain roads, where the risk of trucks losing control and speeding down the road is high. The ramps work by providing an inclined surface for the truck's wheels to roll up, gradually slowing down the vehicle as it comes to a stop. The ramps are typically made of concrete or asphalt, and are angled in such a way as to ensure that the truck's momentum is gradually absorbed as it rolls up the ramp. Once the truck comes to a stop, it can be safely parked or attended to by the authorities."

I don't see anything about helicopters and grappling hooks in there either.

abefroman329

Quote from: US 89 on February 07, 2023, 10:01:39 PM

It might work if you installed some kind of gate or netting at regular intervals that would pop up as the truck rolled up the ramp and prevent it from rolling back down the ramp, but building it out of sand or dirt seems much simpler to me.

Rothman

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2023, 09:55:22 AM

It might work if you installed some kind of gate or netting at regular intervals that would pop up as the truck rolled up the ramp and prevent it from rolling back down the ramp, but building it out of sand or dirt seems much simpler to me.
I've seen sand/dirt ramps combined with barriers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

abefroman329

Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2023, 10:37:48 AM

Is there any interest in installing the arrester blocks like they have at the ends of some airport runways to stop planes from running off the end of the runway?  Or is that infeasible due to the frequency with which runaway trucks use runaway truck ramps?

J N Winkler

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2023, 11:31:50 AMIs there any interest in installing the arrester blocks like they have at the ends of some airport runways to stop planes from running off the end of the runway?  Or is that infeasible due to the frequency with which runaway trucks use runaway truck ramps?

In North America we now have at least five paved runaway truck ramps that use cable arrestors.  It's a new technology in this application, so presumably the press releases, news articles, etc. are more accessible to ChatGPT for "learning" than other documentation on how ramps work.  The overwhelming majority still use either sand piles or gravel arrestor beds.

ChatGPT also appears not to understand that ramps on falling grades are a thing (Oregon DOT is believed to have built the first on I-5 at Siskiyou Pass in 1978).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kalvado

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 08, 2023, 11:31:50 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 08, 2023, 10:37:48 AM

Is there any interest in installing the arrester blocks like they have at the ends of some airport runways to stop planes from running off the end of the runway?  Or is that infeasible due to the frequency with which runaway trucks use runaway truck ramps?
I heard those crushable concrete blocks are fairly expensive - especially once most runways got modified and production dwindled.
Besides crushable blocks are single use, so  once truck is caught, entire ramp needs to be redone.  Sand is simply cheaper, and post-use service is minimal....

hbelkins

Someone with access to ChatGPT, ask it about Alanland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2023, 07:47:52 PMSomeone with access to ChatGPT, ask it about Alanland.

Prompt:  "Tell us about Alanland."

ChatGPT:  "I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with the term 'Alanland.' Could you provide more context or clarification on what you would like to know?"
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2023, 07:47:52 PM
Fictional Highways in not publicly searchable due to it being a members only board so I doubt it would pop up.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 09, 2023, 12:18:05 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 08, 2023, 07:47:52 PM
Fictional Highways in not publicly searchable due to it being a members only board so I doubt it would pop up.

Quindaropedia is, however.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I had another go.

Prompt:  "Please state the political party and policy positions of the current Grand Alan."

ChatGPT:  "I'm sorry, but there is no current political figure or office called 'Grand Alan.' Could you please provide more context or clarify your question?"

thspfc

I've started playing with this thing more, and honestly, it's way too smart. I asked it about myself. It knows where I live, how old I am, and what sports I played in high school. Sheesh.

Scott5114

The thing to remember is, at its core, ChatGPT is nothing more than an extremely powerful Markov chain generator. Markov chain generators just look at a body of data and predict what the most likely word to come next is. That is the same idea underlying autocorrect on your phone. ChatGPT has just been fed a giant corpus of data and then weighted it so that certain results are more likely to come up. 

We all know how well autocorrect works. That fact, taken with the fact that both Google and Microsoft want to add AI results to their search engines, is nothing short of terrifying.

algorerhythms

Autocorrect works great on mobile and it is very useful to use the word in a sentence or sentence in the dictionary for a word that has a lot to say and it can also help to explain what it is.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 07, 2023, 08:39:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 07, 2023, 12:56:28 PM
Has anyone asked it about the flatness of Illinois?
"No, Illinois is not flat. It has rolling hills, prairies, and some areas of low relief such as the Northern Illinois Glacial Till Plains. The southern and southwestern parts of the state are characterized by more rugged topography, including the Shawnee Hills and the Ozark Plateau."

From Chat GPT. Prompt was "Is Illinois flat?"
I can't hear you over the sound of how flat Illinois is.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on February 14, 2023, 09:50:32 PM
Autocorrect works great on mobile and it is very useful to use the word in a sentence or sentence in the dictionary for a word that has a lot to say and it can also help to explain what it is.

Autocorrect is a great place to work on the barn tomorrow and we are going to be a trained mage to make this work for us as well as the brand new and new features of the people who have been in the ocean for a long time and are now in the process of getting a new one we will be back by the end of the year.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2023, 06:07:11 AM

Autocorrect is a great place to work on the barn tomorrow and we are going to be a trained mage to make this work for us as well as the brand new and new features of the people who have been in the ocean for a long time and are now in the process of getting a new one we will be back by the end of the year.

Autocorrect and autocomplete are two different things.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on February 15, 2023, 06:39:12 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 15, 2023, 06:07:11 AM

Autocorrect and autocomplete are two different things.

Semantically, yes, but the underlying procedure is not really all that different (they both involve looking at a chain of words to deduce what the next word is likely to be; autocorrect merely examines the last word entered to see if it matches the expected last word, while autocomplete adds additional words onto the end of the chain).

In any case, what I posted is the result of a Markov chain, the same tech that undergirds ChatGPT. The training corpus is simply "text Scott has written on his phone" (you can see that the work I was doing on my aborted cannabis grow, as well as my D&D game, have leaked in there) instead of "theoretically everything" as it is for ChatGPT.

Scott5114

Prompt: Write a song about U.S. Federal Route 31W

Quote from: ChatGPT
Verse 1

From the hills of Kentucky, to the shores of Alabama
U.S. 31W is the road that will take us home
It's a winding highway, stretching far and wide
Wherever we go, it's by our side

Chorus

U.S. 31W, take us home
It's a road that will never go wrong
U.S. 31W, take us there
Wherever we roam, we'll never be alone

Verse 2

From the rolling fields of Tennessee, to the swamps of Louisiana
U.S. 31W is the road that will never fail
It's a journey of discovery, with so many sights to see
We'll never forget the memories it brings to us

Chorus

U.S. 31W, take us home
U.S. 31W, take us there

Verse 3

From the banks of the Ohio, to the shores of the Gulf of Mexico
U.S. 31W is the road that will never die
It's a journey through the heartland, filled with beauty and delight
It's a road that will always be there for us tonight

Chorus

U.S. 31W, take us home
U.S. 31W, take us there

Well, I mean, it's better than the alternative...

Scott5114

Prompt: Write the national anthem for an absurd country called Alanland that values goats and quoting long posts

Quote from: ChatGPT
O Alanland, we hail thee,
Our country of goats and posts,
We honor thy greatness,
And all that it boasts.

Our loyalty is strong,
Our spirit is true,
Our goats are our pride,
And our posts are our due.

We'll fight for our right,
To quote and to post,
Our goats are the best,
From coast to coast.

Our Alanland is grand,
And our future is bright,
Our people are strong,
And our goats are a sight.

So raise up your voice,
And sing out with pride,
For our Alanland,
We will always abide.

hbelkins

Wait? 31-Dub goes to Louisiana now? (Not to mention it being mentioned for Alabama).

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MultiMillionMiler

If ChatGPT doesn't learn from user input then what's the point of giving feedback? Also, it claims that it does learn from user input when you ask it that.

hotdogPi

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 22, 2023, 11:28:15 AM
If ChatGPT doesn't learn from user input then what's the point of giving feedback? Also, it claims that it does learn from user input when you ask it that.

It learns within a conversation, but not for future conversations. The reason this is the case is because several prior chatbots were taken over by neo-Nazis within 24 hours.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

MultiMillionMiler

Well then what's the point if it can't integrate data from previous conversations? What a scam! And who cares if people try to brainwash it? With 100 million users, the effects of that would all cancel itself out, and it's worth any of those risks to see how truly advanced AI can get. AI shouldn't be censored for potentially offensive content.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.