News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

January 2023 Bomb Cyclone closures

Started by Max Rockatansky, January 09, 2023, 03:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Quote from: bing101 on January 15, 2023, 12:01:06 PM
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/massive-los-angeles-sinkhole-swallows-2-vehicles-passengers-rescued/4039861/
A sinkhole is reported in the Los Angeles area and it got two cars.

That road is in pretty bad shape for the most part. It's near Simi Valley and I'm pretty sure one of the roads that connects to it hasn't been in use for decades.

skluth

No surprise, but in Palm Springs both Gene Autry and North Palm Canyon have been closed for a couple days and are still closed as of this post. I tried to drive to Costco yesterday but quickly decided to go back home; traffic was a nightmare on all three available streets (Ramon, Dinah Shore, East Palm Canyon) with traffic backed up over a mile on all three.

jdbx

Quote from: skluth on January 18, 2023, 11:01:16 AM
No surprise, but in Palm Springs both Gene Autry and North Palm Canyon have been closed for a couple days and are still closed as of this post. I tried to drive to Costco yesterday but quickly decided to go back home; traffic was a nightmare on all three available streets (Ramon, Dinah Shore, East Palm Canyon) with traffic backed up over a mile on all three.

We were in the area last weekend for a lacrosse tournament which was held at the Empire Polo Grounds.  I was very happy that we ended up staying in Indio because getting to/from Palm Springs was a nightmare due to those closures. Several families who had the misfortune of staying on the Palm Springs side reported that it took them 2 hours to get to Indio, normally about a 30 minute drive. I saw on the news that a bridge is planned for one of the flooded crossings, but it sounds like doing anything about Gene Autry or North Palm Canyon was going to be an expensive proposition given the length of bridges required. I'm not surprised, the Whitewater River is very wide at those crossings.

skluth

Quote from: jdbx on January 20, 2023, 03:38:31 PM
Quote from: skluth on January 18, 2023, 11:01:16 AM

We were in the area last weekend for a lacrosse tournament which was held at the Empire Polo Grounds.  I was very happy that we ended up staying in Indio because getting to/from Palm Springs was a nightmare due to those closures. Several families who had the misfortune of staying on the Palm Springs side reported that it took them 2 hours to get to Indio, normally about a 30 minute drive. I saw on the news that a bridge is planned for one of the flooded crossings, but it sounds like doing anything about Gene Autry or North Palm Canyon was going to be an expensive proposition given the length of bridges required. I'm not surprised, the Whitewater River is very wide at those crossings.

Vista Chino was supposed to get a bridge this year but ground was supposed to have been broken for it in 2021 and I've seen no progress towards construction.

Max Rockatansky

cl94

Caltrans District 10 posted that they expect to have SR 140 in Mariposa County fully open tomorrow. That has been either closed or down to 1 lane for a couple of weeks due to slides.

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist10/status/1619090470986203137

SR 89 around Emerald Bay finally reopened last night. That had been closed since around the new year due to snow and avalanches.

https://twitter.com/CaltransDist3/status/1618777025342484482

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 27, 2023, 12:38:11 PM
Continued problems on CA 70:

https://www.lassennews.com/highway-70-remains-closed-due-to-continued-slide-activity/

D2 even caught a slide on camera in recent days. That's going to require some extensive mitigation between Belden and Twain.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

gonealookin

NDOT will reopen SR 208 through Wilson Canyon between Smith Valley and Mason Valley for three hours early in the morning and three hours in the evening, each day starting this Monday.  The road has been fully closed since January 11 due to the rock slide in that canyon.

https://twitter.com/nevadadotreno/status/1624128008289415168

cl94

we
Quote from: gonealookin on February 11, 2023, 01:52:16 PM
NDOT will reopen SR 208 through Wilson Canyon between Smith Valley and Mason Valley for three hours early in the morning and three hours in the evening, each day starting this Monday.  The road has been fully closed since January 11 due to the rock slide in that canyon.

NDOT only just got around to putting up detour signage (well, portable VMSes) along 580 within the past week. But nice to see they're finally doing a partial opening. Full closure has been a month at this point.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

gonealookin

SR 208 was fully reopened today.  The closure was January 10-March 17, except for those 3-hour morning and evening windows since the middle of February.

QuoteOn March 17, the Nevada Department of Transportation fully opened State Route 208 in Lyon County to 24-hour traffic as crews wrap up removal of a major landslide.
On Jan. 10, a landslide and rockfall fell across roughly 400 feet of State Route 208 through the Wilson Canyon, between Smith Valley and Yerington....Since that time, rockfall removal experts have scaled roadside slopes to remove unstable rock and crews worked to remove 500 truckloads of landslide material which fell across the road, equaling nearly 15,000 cubic yards of landslide material removed. Over recent weeks, nearly 250 feet of rockfall reduction netting has been installed on the roadside slope to further reduce extent of future major rockfall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.