News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Radical administrative changes

Started by Poiponen13, February 21, 2023, 11:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

If you could change structure of U.S. administrative divisions, what changes would you do? At least I would merge many cities with their counties.

mgk920

For me it would not simply be city-county mergers, but city-all of its suburbs amalgamations, this for no other reason than to have the suburbanites vote in elections for mayors and city councils, for political balance and interest throughout the greater metropolitan communities.

Mike

Poiponen13

Quote from: mgk920 on February 21, 2023, 11:22:56 AM
For me it would not simply be city-county mergers, but city-all of its suburbs amalgamations, this for no other reason than to have the suburbanites vote in elections for mayors and city councils, for political balance and interest throughout the greater metropolitan communities.

Mike
The following changes would be made:
- Prefectures and prefecture-level cities (like in China) would be added between states and counties.
- Indianapolis would become a prefecture-level city, enclosing Lafayette, which would be county-level city.
- Washington DC and suburbs would become own state.

triplemultiplex

I like the city/suburb merging idea if for no other reason, then it will actually make the city's population reflect how many people actually live there verses having a metro all carved up into little thiefdoms.
For example, Ohio.  Columbus is like three times as large as Cincinnati or Cleveland if one just looks at the city proper.  But when one looks at the metro populations, all three are basically the same.

In practice, I doubt either suburbanites or city folk want anything to do with each other and would resist such a change tooth and nail.

I'm a big fan of not having unincorporated 'islands' within city boundaries.  I would love to make those boundaries rather simple and clean.  Minnesota does this fairly well; lots of nice, even squares as each rural township got incorporated over time around each metro.  Compared to other states where most city boundaries look like someone spelled Legos on the table, Minnesota is far more aesthetically pleasing.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 21, 2023, 11:45:54 AM
I'm a big fan of not having unincorporated 'islands' within city boundaries.  I would love to make those boundaries rather simple and clean.  Minnesota does this fairly well; lots of nice, even squares as each rural township got incorporated over time around each metro.  Compared to other states where most city boundaries look like someone spelled Legos on the table, Minnesota is far more aesthetically pleasing.
New England does a good job with this with their town structure. Borders mostly look very clean.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 11:18:10 AM
If you could change structure of U.S. administrative divisions, what changes would you do? At least I would merge many cities with their counties.

Is there a reason you had to start a new thread for this, instead of using https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32238.0

A thread in which you posted.

mgk920

Also, in states with 'granger' townships (primarily in the midwest but also elsewhere), merge all of the towns/townships that are not included in my post above with their respective county boards.  Besides fire protection, what do they do that cannot be done more efficiently and responsively at the county level (at most, the existing townships should be realigned as strictly rural fire protection districts).

Mike

JoePCool14

Definitely in my area, I'd like to see the townships dissolved and all areas become incorporated. The township really has no reason to exist at this point.

Mike

No thank you. The suburbs being separate from the city is, I believe, the greatest deterrent of criminals committing crimes further out from the city. There's a higher chance they'd actually face real consequences if they tried some of the things they try in the city.

I also have no interest in being lumped in with the city. There's a reason suburbanites live in the suburbs and not in the city, and vice versa.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

mgk920

Here is the Appleton, WI area, crime is worse in the suburban townships than it is in the cities.  The cities have much better police departments.

Mike

NWI_Irish96

Any city > 100K population is a merged city/county.

Any county < 50K population merges with another county unless it would create a county > 5,000 sq. mi.

County lines must be redrawn to include the entirety of each municipality (New York City excepted).

Townships, in states where they are not organized as municipalities, are eliminated.

Any municipality < 10K that is adjacent to a larger municipality (in the same state) must merge.

All of Washington, DC, outside of an area bounded roughly by 23rd St NW, K St NW/NE, 4th St NE/SE, and the Potomac River, is reverted to the state of Maryland.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Poiponen13

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 21, 2023, 01:03:35 PM

Any county < 50K population merges with another county unless it would create a county > 5,000 sq. mi.

County lines must be redrawn to include the entirety of each municipality (New York City excepted).

Townships, in states where they are not organized as municipalities, are eliminated.

Any municipality < 10K that is adjacent to a larger municipality (in the same state) must merge.

All of Washington, DC, outside of an area bounded roughly by 23rd St NW, K St NW/NE, 4th St NE/SE, and the Potomac River, is reverted to the state of Maryland.
I don't support the Washington DC move. But I want to make DC, Montgomery County, Primce George's County, Arlington, Fairfax County and Prince William County an own state.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:20:27 PM

I don't support the Washington DC move. But I want to make DC, Montgomery County, Primce George's County, Arlington, Fairfax County and Prince William County an own state.
I'm sure that a certain Virginia political party would be thrilled with that move.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 01:28:13 PM
I'm sure that a certain Virginia political party would be thrilled with that move.

It actually feels balanced to me. DC becoming a state would give it two Democratic senators and one Democratic representative, while Virginia would become a true swing state instead of leaning Democratic.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

NWI_Irish96

That would be the only way to do it that both parties might support. You'd be creating a new blue state, but flipping Virginia red. Even if this did happen, I'd still want a small Federal district carved out. I don't like the idea of a state having control over the area near the White House, Capitol and Supreme Court.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on February 21, 2023, 01:31:12 PM

It actually feels balanced to me. DC becoming a state would give it two Democratic senators and one Democratic representative, while Virginia would become a true swing state instead of leaning Democratic.
Yeah but local Virginia Republlicans would likely be pleased as it would increase their electoral popularity. And Democrats living in say, Richmond or Charlottesville, would not be pleased. But also like half (or more?) of Virginia's economy would be gone with this move.

Poiponen13

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 21, 2023, 01:32:28 PM

That would be the only way to do it that both parties might support. You'd be creating a new blue state, but flipping Virginia red. Even if this did happen, I'd still want a small Federal district carved out. I don't like the idea of a state having control over the area near the White House, Capitol and Supreme Court.
Supreme Court could be moved to new York.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:33:16 PM

But then the state of New York would have control over it.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 01:35:55 PM

It would be better to have some national bodies in New York.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:41:04 PM

Why? What's the problem with DC?

Poiponen13

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 21, 2023, 01:42:31 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:41:04 PM

Why? What's the problem with DC?
All bodies don't have to be in capital.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 21, 2023, 01:44:17 PM
All bodies don't have to be in capital.

That doesn't answer the question.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NWI_Irish96

The judiciary is supposed to be apolitical and independent, so having it in separate city from the Executive and Legislative branches from the start would have been a good idea.

It's too late now, though.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 12:35:44 PM
Definitely in my area, I'd like to see the townships dissolved and all areas become incorporated. The township really has no reason to exist at this point.

Mike

No thank you. The suburbs being separate from the city is, I believe, the greatest deterrent of criminals committing crimes further out from the city. There's a higher chance they'd actually face real consequences if they tried some of the things they try in the city.

I also have no interest in being lumped in with the city. There's a reason suburbanites live in the suburbs and not in the city, and vice versa.

You think the reason there's more crime in "cities" than suburbs is because of the name of the suburb being different than the name of the city?

JoePCool14

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 21, 2023, 02:38:00 PM

Mike

You think the reason there's more crime in "cities" than suburbs is because of the name of the suburb being different than the name of the city?

Yes, I do. I hear of lots of crime on the north side of Chicago, including the nicer areas, but it's less common to hear it happening in the suburbs. It still happens, but it's less commonplace.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: JoePCool14 on February 21, 2023, 03:07:41 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 21, 2023, 02:38:00 PM

Mike

Yes, I do. I hear of lots of crime on the north side of Chicago, including the nicer areas, but it's less common to hear it happening in the suburbs. It still happens, but it's less commonplace.
Inner city areas often tend to be poorer due to historical factors and white flight, and poorer areas tend to have more crime.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.