News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

'Stoop' design for the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway

Started by Otto Yamamoto, February 28, 2023, 05:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

The 'Stoop' might work, as long as the roadway is restored to three lanes in each direction, along with emergency shoulders. Will it actually be constructed? That is the $64,000 question. Personally, I have my doubts.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 28, 2023, 07:41:37 PM
The 'Stoop' might work, as long as the roadway is restored to three lanes in each direction, along with emergency shoulders. Will it actually be constructed? That is the $64,000 question. Personally, I have my doubts.

I really don't get why these people are so upset by the third lane.  It's an extra 12' of pavement or is it the alleged political correctness of not having the third lane??
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on April 12, 2023, 12:38:56 AM

I really don't get why these people are so upset by the third lane.  It's an extra 12' of pavement or is it the alleged political correctness of not having the third lane??

3 lanes and shoulders under modern design criteria is 56 feet wide which is 26 more than existing. With the constrained ROW and the structural issues it's a significant increase in space.

sprjus4

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 12, 2023, 01:29:09 AM

3 lanes and shoulders under modern design criteria is 56 feet wide which is 26 more than existing. With the constrained ROW and the structural issues it's a significant increase in space.
And significant decrease in capacity.

Additionally, you could get away with three 12 foot lanes, 10 foot right shoulder, and 4 foot left shoulder, in a constrained area. That's about 50 ft wide.

LilianaUwU

Can't wait for the BQE to remain forever clogged.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 12, 2023, 02:17:35 AM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on April 12, 2023, 01:29:09 AM

And significant decrease in capacity.

Additionally, you could get away with three 12 foot lanes, 10 foot right shoulder, and 4 foot left shoulder, in a constrained area. That's about 50 ft wide.
11 foot in a pinch. 8-11-11-11-2 is the smallest I can think of getting away with, 43 feet. Now we're getting closer to something.

sprjus4

^ Due to truck traffic, it may be advisable to make the far right lane 12 ft.

Alps

Quote from: sprjus4 on April 13, 2023, 10:16:03 PM
^ Due to truck traffic, it may be advisable to make the far right lane 12 ft.
The 8' shoulder addresses that.

DJStephens

The Brooklyn-Eagle article, while light on specifics and hard engineering facts, stated that with
the "Stoop" design, a four lane facility is all that is achievable due to space.   Due to both directions of traffic, being placed on one level of the "promenade" or cantilever.  A dis-connect from reality, almost as if the traffic can simply be "waved away" by progressive type individuals in engineering firms, or planning departments of the local municipalities there.   

mariethefoxy

what is the plan for the segment that squeezes under and between the Brooklyn Bridge supports? Will that also be 4 lanes on a single level, or will that part remain double decked as I don't know how they are gunna fit that in the space without modifying the end of the Brooklyn bridge.

as for Lanes, I wonder if a system like they have on the Madison WI belt line would work, whereby during rush hour its an extra lane but during other times, its a shoulder.

To me, given how anti-car NYC is, and the fact that even Robert Moses himself had difficulty getting the BQE thru Brooklyn Heights in the first place; hence the double decker design, 4 lanes is better than another idiotic boulevard plan such as West St and Sheridan Blvd.

TheDon102

That whole section was 6 lanes at one point. (Including the sections under the brooklyn and Manhattan bridge) But if we get 4 lanes better than 0.

I think they should also seriously considering fixing the interchanges with both the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges. (I know the plan from 2018 had some extra ramps to be constructed but I doubt that will happen now).

Quote from: mariethefoxy on April 23, 2023, 12:19:04 AM
what is the plan for the segment that squeezes under and between the Brooklyn Bridge supports? Will that also be 4 lanes on a single level, or will that part remain double decked as I don't know how they are gunna fit that in the space without modifying the end of the Brooklyn bridge.

as for Lanes, I wonder if a system like they have on the Madison WI belt line would work, whereby during rush hour its an extra lane but during other times, its a shoulder.

To me, given how anti-car NYC is, and the fact that even Robert Moses himself had difficulty getting the BQE thru Brooklyn Heights in the first place; hence the double decker design, 4 lanes is better than another idiotic boulevard plan such as West St and Sheridan Blvd.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: TheDon102 on April 23, 2023, 01:59:41 PM
That whole section was 6 lanes at one point. (Including the sections under the brooklyn and Manhattan bridge) But if we get 4 lanes better than 0.

I think they should also seriously considering fixing the interchanges with both the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges. (I know the plan from 2018 had some extra ramps to be constructed but I doubt that will happen now).

I wonder if those plans are still online somewhere or if we are lucky archived on the Wayback Machine?

quote fix --sso

TheDon102

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 24, 2023, 05:14:07 PM
Quote from: TheDon102 on April 23, 2023, 01:59:41 PM

I wonder if those plans are still online somewhere or if we are lucky archived on the Wayback Machine?

https://www.bqe-i278.com/en/library/meeting-materials Go to the September 27 2018 Meeting Presentation - PDF

quote fix --sso

ran4sh

4 standard lanes is better than 6 lanes with non-standard shoulder imo (). As for congestion caused, it should incentivize changes in traffic (i.e. use mass transit, use a different route, drive at a different time, etc) so I don't think too much effort should be used to try to solve congestion.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

Quote from: ran4sh on April 30, 2023, 07:18:54 PM
4 standard lanes is better than 6 lanes with non-standard shoulder imo (). As for congestion caused, it should incentivize changes in traffic (i.e. use mass transit, use a different route, drive at a different time, etc) so I don't think too much effort should be used to try to solve congestion.
wut

vdeane

IMO transit should be incentivized by making transit good, not by making driving suck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Ghostbuster

Regardless of what happens with the BQE between Atlantic Avenue and Sands St., would it be practical or cost-effect to build decks over the depressed segment of Interstate 278 between Interstate 478 and Atlantic Ave.? Maybe that would help "reconnect" the neighborhood and make the existing freeway seem like less of a barrier.

Alps

Quote from: ran4sh on April 30, 2023, 07:18:54 PM
for that matter they should close US 30

Mergingtraffic

This reeks of PC.
Looking at the designs if most of it is capped, why does it matter if it's 2 or 3 lanes? 

Seems like these people don't like that the physical width of the road may be wider regardless of what it's used for.

People are worried about air quality but what do you expect living in that part of NYC?  For most people the BQE and truck traffic has been there for generations.

Let's just say future trucks are eletric powered only, then the air quality should improve but they'd still be against it.

in fact, make truck routes more free flowing so they aren't idling in one spot as much.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.