Towns whose main street has the name of the town itself

Started by KCRoadFan, June 07, 2023, 12:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GenExpwy

Henrietta NY has two: West Henrietta Road (NY 15) and East Henrietta Road (NY 15A).

In the very old days, before suburbanization, West Henrietta Rd went through the hamlet of West Henrietta (intersection of Erie Station Road), while East Henrietta Rd went through the hamlet of Henrietta (intersection of Lehigh Station Road).

roadman65

Carson, CA has a main artery named Carson Street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: roadman65 on June 08, 2023, 05:44:52 AM
I bet the traffic's a nightmare. Everyone wants to ride Carson, daily.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Evan_Th

Quote from: Bruce on June 08, 2023, 02:27:26 AM
A few Seattle suburbs have a main street or major road with the same name:

Bellevue Way - arguably the most important north-south street in the city
Edmonds Way - carries SR 104 and most highway traffic into downtown Edmonds
Kirkland Way - the old east-west route into downtown
Redmond Way - the same road as above and also the old way into downtown
Everett Avenue - relatively minor but does carry freeway-bound traffic

And beyond the Puget Sound region:

Yakima Avenue
Kennewick Avenue
Burlington Blvd

Also:
Seattle Blvd (a not-that-major connector at the south end of downtown)
Vashon Hwy (on Vashon Island, heading to the ferry dock)
Bothell Way (in Bothell, one of the main streets through downtown and heading out of town)
Woodinville Dr (a minor street on the edge of town)
Snoqualmie Pkwy (the major street in the newer part of Snoqualmie)

Rothman

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on June 08, 2023, 05:38:25 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 08, 2023, 05:44:52 AM
I bet the traffic's a nightmare. Everyone wants to ride Carson, daily.
"Hi, I'm Carson Daly, and I'm a massive tool."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

lepidopteran

In Maryland, there are a lot of these within a relatively small area.

• Greenbelt Rd. (Route 193) runs through Greenbelt
  • Crofton Parkway circles Crofton
  • Gambrills Rd.
  • Crownsville Rd.
  • Odenton Rd., but it's not really the town's main artery in either direction.
  • Millersville Rd.
  • Pasadena Rd.
  • Ferndale Rd.
  • Marriottsville Rd.
Zipping on over to Michigan, in suburban Detroit, Oak Park Blvd. runs through the suburb of the same name.

Bitmapped

Some West Virginia examples:
- Part of US 250 in Fairmont is Fairmont Avenue
- Part of US 19/US 52 in Bluefield is Bluefield Avenue
- WV 10 in Logan is Logan Blvd

michravera

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 07, 2023, 01:15:43 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on June 07, 2023, 08:38:11 AM
Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica, CA.

Very appropriate that you in particular would get that one given your autosignature!

In my area, just about all cities, towns, and settlements except the very largest ones have a main street with the entity's name:

Fremont Blvd in Fremont.
Alvarado Blvd in the Alvarado settlement
Niles Ave in the Niles settlement
Union City Blvd in Union City
Warm Springs Blvd in the Warm Springs District.
Milpitas Blvd in Milpitas.
Calaveras Blvd through the Calaveras settlement.
Campbell Ave through Campbell
Los Gatos Ave through Los Gatos
Alviso Rd through the Alviso settlement
Belmont Ave through Belmont
Milbrae Ave through Milbrae
Foster City Blvd through Foster City
Livermore Blvd through Livermore
Tracy Blvd in Tracy
Rio Linda Blvd in Rio Linda
Capitol Ave and Capitol Mall in Sacramento. Sacramento Blvd was renamed (and was *A* main street, but certainly not as main as Capitol Ave or Mall)
Florin Rd through the Florin settlement

Are there more? ... Think about it! .... and make a wish!

... and that's not including any of the ThisTown-NextTown roads

bulldog1979

Munising, Michigan, has Munising Avenue that carries M-28 and H-58 along Lake Superior, but the main street of downtown is Superior Street.

TheStranger

Los Angeles Street is not the most important street in LA, but it still is a key route in downtown and has an exit off of the US 101 segment of the Santa Ana Freeway and of I-10 on the Santa Monica Freeway.

Long Beach, Whittier, Santa Ana, Anaheim also have key roads with the city name going through them.  If we go even further to districts/communities, Van Nuys comes to mind in this category too.

In NorCal, michravera brought up a lot of the examples I am familiar with already.  Some others:

Burlingame Avenue in Burlingame
San Carlos Avenue in San Carlos
San Bruno Avenue in San Bruno
Woodside Road in Woodside

Daly City has John Daly Boulevard (mostly former Route 1) as a major east-west corridor, though Mission Street is probably the much more important road
Chris Sampang

roadman65

Virginia Beach Blvd. is the City of Virginia Beach main E-W artery carrying US 58 across it.

Sheryl Crowe

dgolub

Here on Long Island, we've got:
* Port Washington Boulevard (NY 101) in Port Washington
* Mineola Boulevard in Mineola
* New Hyde Park Road (Nassau CR 5B) in New Hyde Park
* Merrick Avenue (Nassau CR 4) and Merrick Road (Nassau CR 27) in Merrick
* Jericho Turnpike (NY 25) in Jericho
* Deer Park Avenue (NY 231) in Deer Park
* Commack Road (Suffolk CR 4) in Commack
* Ronkonkoma Avenue in Ronkonkoma
* Montauk Highway (NY 27) in Montauk

skluth

Quote from: 1 on June 07, 2023, 06:14:20 AM
In New England, it's much more common for street names to be of adjacent towns, where the street name tells you which town it goes to.

That's a common convention everywhere. In Green Bay, Shawano Avenue goes to Shawano and Bay Settlement Road goes to Bay Settlement. In Milwaukee, Green Bay Road goes to Green Bay and Watertown Plank Road went to Watertown. In NOVA, Leesburg Pike goes to Leesburg and the Richmond Highway goes to Richmond. Et cetera, et cetera.

DandyDan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 07, 2023, 02:04:05 PM
Twin Cities examples

Minnetonka - Minnetonka Blvd
Chaska - Chaska Blvd
Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center - Brooklyn Blvd
You can also add Wayzata Blvd, Burnsville Parkway, and Woodbury Drive, amongst others.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Chris19001

Quote from: Dough4872 on June 07, 2023, 08:31:15 PM
Quote from: Chris19001 on June 07, 2023, 04:52:20 PM
Happens a few times in the Philly area with the various old "pikes" and their associated small towns.
Sumneytown Pike
Dublin Pike
Skippack Pike

I know Dublin Pike (PA 313) becomes Main Street in the borough of Dublin but it is called Dublin Pike on both sides outside the borough limits.
Good catch, as you appear to be correct.  Google Maps has it mislabelled within the Dublin borough.  The street addresses do roll up to Main Street (which is obviously far more common).  Scratch that one from the list.

jp the roadgeek

CT 4, the main road through Farmington, is Farmington Ave for most of its length. 
US 5 through the northern part of Enfield is Enfield St (as seen on exit signage at the CT/MA border on I-91)
CT 159 through the southern part of Windsor is Windsor Ave (becomes Broad St as you get near the center of town)
CT 69 through Wolcott is Wolcott Rd (changes to Wolcott St after crossing into Waterbury)
US 6 through the village of Terryville (in the town of Plymouth, but most people often consider the whole town Terryville) is Terryville Ave
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadwarriors79

Arizona examples:

In the Phoenix area, most of the main streets are on a grid. Some of these streets go through or border multiple cities.

Scottsdale Road in Scottsdale
Glendale Avenue in Glendale
Gilbert Road in Gilbert
Peoria Avenue in Peoria
Avondale Boulevard in Avondale

Mesa Drive in Mesa and Queen Creek Road in Queen Creek are major arterial streets, but may not necessarily be the "main" street in their corresponding town.

In Tucson, Tucson Boulevard is the main street near Tucson Airport, but a few miles north, it's more of a minor street. On the Tucson city grid, Tucson Boulevard is the 1/2 mile between Campbell Avenue and Country Club Road.

DTComposer

Quote from: michravera on June 09, 2023, 06:55:45 PM
In my area, just about all cities, towns, and settlements except the very largest ones have a main street with the entity's name:

I have a couple of notes/errata about some of these:

Calaveras Blvd through the Calaveras settlement.

There's no Calaveras settlement/place/etc., so not sure what you're referring to here?

Los Gatos Ave through Los Gatos

Los Gatos Boulevard (former CA-17) is an arterial street, but not the main street of Los Gatos (which would be Santa Cruz Avenue, and perhaps Main Street itself)

Alviso Rd through the Alviso settlement

There's no Alviso Road in Alviso itself; there is an Alviso Street a few miles away in Santa Clara. There did use to be the ThisTown-NextTown streets: Mountain View-Alviso Road, Alviso-Milpitas Road (now both part of CA-237), San Jose-Alviso Road (now First Street), Santa Clara-Alviso Road (now Lafayette Street).

Meanwhile, I'll add what could be a new thread - streets with the city name that are not in any way main streets. For example: San Jose Avenue in San Jose is a half-mile-long back street in an industrial area a few miles south of downtown. While it does end at Monterey Highway (former US-101), I can't see that it was ever of much importance (didn't use to be longer, didn't mark the south city limits, etc.).

TheHighwayMan3561

Since we've expanded to whether the road is important or not:

Bloomington: Bloomington Ave and Bloomington Road (the latter's surviving section not obliterated by MSP expansions and/or I-494 was part of old TH 5)

Ramsey: Ramsey Blvd

Rogers: Rogers Drive

Eden Prairie: Eden Prairie Road (fairly important)

Scandia: Scandia Trail (TH 97)

Stillwater: Stillwater Blvd (former TH 212)

Stacy: Stacy Trail

Burnsville: Burnsville Pkwy

Maple Grove: Maple Grove Pkwy

Golden Valley: Golden Valley Rd

Mounds View: Mounds View Blvd

Wayzata: Wayzata Blvd
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bzakharin

One of the main streets through Morristown NJ is Morris Street / Ave (different sections), though I guess that doesn't quite count.

hobsini2

In my hometown, Route 53 is locally called Bolingbrook Drive and it is definitely the "main" road through town.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

WillWeaverRVA

VA 337 is Portsmouth Blvd in Portsmouth.

US 360 in unincorporated (but heavily populated) Mechanicsville, VA is Mechanicsville Turnpike.

US 60 in unincorporated (but heavily populated) Midlothian, VA is Midlothian Turnpike.

By virtue of localities in Virginia renaming segments of Jefferson Davis Highway, a segment of US 1/301 in Richmond, VA is Richmond Highway.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

plain

In Salisbury, MD:

US 13 BUS is Salisbury Blvd
US 50 BUS is Salisbury Pkwy

In neighboring Fruitland:

US 13 BUS is Fruitland Blvd.
Newark born, Richmond bred

frankenroad

Off the top of my head, a few in the Cincinnati area:

Reading Rd (US-42) in Reading.
Loveland Ave in Loveland.
Montgomery Rd (US-22/OH-3) in Montgomery.

There is a Blue Ash Rd in Blue Ash, and a Wyoming Ave. in Wyoming, but in both cases, I would say they are not the main streets of their respective towns.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

roadman65

In New Jersey you have  Bloomfield Avenue that transits Bloomfield which starts in Newark as one of a few streets named for a road leading to its namesake.

The thing is Bloomfield Avenue continues beyond Bloomfield from Newark and extends to Denville. Though in Montville and Parsippany is concurrent with US 46 with street blades reflecting the route number and businesses using Route 46 as an address.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.