News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US-75: "DFW Traffic Use Exit 38C"

Started by ZLoth, July 04, 2023, 02:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

This one has me scratching my head. If you are headed south on US-75, just prior to exit 51, there is a sign that reads "DFW Traffic Use Exit 38C". All right, so looking at Exit 38C, and it's the Sam Rayburn Tollway. The headscratcher in this is that, despite being labeled a North-South route, it's more like a East-West route. And, unless you are going to the DFW Airport, the only major freeways along the SRT is the Dallas North Tollway (DNT) and the I-35E, both of which go directly to Dallas along with US-75.

Should the sign then read "DFW Airport Use Exit 38C"? Then, of course, there is Love Field which is indirectly accessible from both DNT and US-75 via Mockingbird Lane. Wouldn't you at least put up a Airport icon mini-sign?
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

thisdj78

Quote from: ZLoth on July 04, 2023, 02:34:12 PM
This one has me scratching my head. If you are headed south on US-75, just prior to exit 51, there is a sign that reads "DFW Traffic Use Exit 38C". All right, so looking at Exit 38C, and it's the Sam Rayburn Tollway. The headscratcher in this is that, despite being labeled a North-South route, it's more like a East-West route. And, unless you are going to the DFW Airport, the only major freeways along the SRT is the Dallas North Tollway (DNT) and the I-35E, both of which go directly to Dallas along with US-75.

Should the sign then read "DFW Airport Use Exit 38C"? Then, of course, there is Love Field which is indirectly accessible from both DNT and US-75 via Mockingbird Lane. Wouldn't you at least put up a Airport icon mini-sign?

They meant DFW airport as the SRT pretty much takes you directly into the airport.

-- US 175 --

It's because apparently people have gotten confused driving in from the north, and are exiting at FM 121, thinking it's TX 121, that will get them to DFW Airport.  Of course, those folks get lost.  So, instead of TxDOT renumbering FM 121 to a different number, which would remove the 2 121's close proximity--and any confusion--they prefer to add signs like the one the OP saw.

J N Winkler

That sign has existed in some form for a long time--I think I have at least one detail for it in my TxDOT collection.

I think the "DFW" being referred to is the metroplex in general and not necessarily just the airport, though it is true that SH 121 skirts Dallas proper.  FM 121, on the other hand, just runs west to US 377 at Tioga and east to an intersection with SH 160 in the middle of nowhere.

Edit:  Here is an earlier version of the message, as of October 2013 (note the text designation, which is very unusual for Texas):

Exit 51 -- FM 121 Van Alstyne Pkwy -- DFW Traffic Do Not Exit
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ran4sh

Quote from: -- US 175 -- on July 04, 2023, 04:41:16 PM
It's because apparently people have gotten confused driving in from the north, and are exiting at FM 121, thinking it's TX 121, that will get them to DFW Airport.  Of course, those folks get lost.  So, instead of TxDOT renumbering FM 121 to a different number, which would remove the 2 121's close proximity--and any confusion--they prefer to add signs like the one the OP saw.

Maybe because the solution is one sign, versus your suggestion that would have costs of sign replacement plus also the costs due to confusion as people adjust to calling the old FM 121 by its new name.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

ran4sh

Quote from: ZLoth on July 04, 2023, 02:34:12 PM

It seems that your point of confusion is that you believe that the DOT is referring to the entire Dallas-Fort Worth region as "DFW" on the sign. Which they are not, they are using DFW to mean the airport. It wouldn't make sense to abbreviate the place names "Dallas" and "Fort Worth" as "DFW" on a road sign.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline

Road Hog

This sign is in advance of the exit for FM 121 in Van Alstyne. It was meant originally to avoid confusion with SH 121 farther south. An earlier version of the sign said "DFW Traffic Do Not Exit," which made Van Alstyne seem unwelcoming to sojourners.

I-35

As stated above, it's to prevent confusion of FM 121 with TX 121.  It seems like the more appropriate solution would be to renumber FM 121, as it comes within three miles of intersecting with TX 121 at Trenton anyways.

bugo

I snapped these pictures in March, 2010.

bugo

Quote from: I-35 on July 05, 2023, 10:34:48 AM
As stated above, it's to prevent confusion of FM 121 with TX 121.  It seems like the more appropriate solution would be to renumber FM 121, as it comes within three miles of intersecting with TX 121 at Trenton anyways.

Texas 70 and US 70 cross in Matador, and there will be an interchange between US 69 and I-69 in Lufkin, so it's nothing new for them. It's the Texas way!

ZLoth

Quote from: ran4sh on July 04, 2023, 05:38:51 PMIt seems that your point of confusion is that you believe that the DOT is referring to the entire Dallas-Fort Worth region as "DFW" on the sign. Which they are not, they are using DFW to mean the airport. It wouldn't make sense to abbreviate the place names "Dallas" and "Fort Worth" as "DFW" on a road sign.

Isn't there a relevant section of MUTCD that is used in situations like this? After all, if it refers to the airport, put up a airport icon on the sign.

It may not be that easy as you have mailing addresses such as 13999 FM 121, Van Alstyne, TX 75495 already in existence for quite a long while.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Road Hog

Quote from: ZLoth on July 05, 2023, 12:02:39 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on July 04, 2023, 05:38:51 PMIt seems that your point of confusion is that you believe that the DOT is referring to the entire Dallas-Fort Worth region as "DFW" on the sign. Which they are not, they are using DFW to mean the airport. It wouldn't make sense to abbreviate the place names "Dallas" and "Fort Worth" as "DFW" on a road sign.

Isn't there a relevant section of MUTCD that is used in situations like this? After all, if it refers to the airport, put up a airport icon on the sign.

It may not be that easy as you have mailing addresses such as 13999 FM 121, Van Alstyne, TX 75495 already in existence for quite a long while.
Even more confusing, the city of Van Alstyne has changed the street name of FM 121 several times in just the last couple of decades. It was Stephens Street, then it became Henry Hynds Parkway. Now it's called Van Alstyne Parkway (which is an entry in the "street named after the city" thread that I figured was too far in the weeds so I skipped it.)

ran4sh

The airport icon is not *required* to be used

ZLoth

OK, thank you for the clarification. I won't even ask why Park and Parker are right next to each other on US-75 in Plano... what were they thinking?

-- US 175 --

Quote from: ZLoth on July 09, 2023, 10:06:50 AM
OK, thank you for the clarification. I won't even ask why Park and Parker are right next to each other on US-75 in Plano... what were they thinking?

Well, Parker is more understandable, as it does go out to Parker from Plano.  Park Blvd., though, really could stand to be a different name.  AFAIK, there really isn't any real reason that street must have the name "Park".

I-35

Definitely easier now than when Van Alstyne hits the 50,000 population mark.  Although at that point, FM 121 may be decommissioned entirely since it will likely be an urban thoroughfare by that point.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ran4sh on July 06, 2023, 01:17:45 AM

The airport icon is not *required* to be used
Plenty of BGSs in Chicagoland with O'Hare as a Control with no Airport icon used

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.