News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida's colored shields

Started by FLRoads, January 19, 2009, 01:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

I'd take your yellow US 301!!!

anyway, I have several colored shields....Connecticut ones were started after the war for much the same reasons...make it weasier for tourists and travellers to get into and out of the cities (the advent of the Interstate system kinda made that obsolete....when I-95 zips by at 55mph, who wants to go to downtown New Haven?

I have one FLA US shield (and no, it wasnt Joehlered)

Idaho used brown to denote scenic routes....both ways

And i have a MIssissippi scenic state marker...

much nicer to look at than standard black on white all the time!
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

FLRoads

How much for the US 41 shield...?  If I could have one colored shield, that would be the one!!

mefailenglish

Alex

Idaho uses brown shields on all of the corridors of which it considers scenic. This goes not only for U.S. highways, but also state highways.

mpgarr

How do ya post up pics on here???

FLRoads

In the quick reply section, click on the image icon above the emotioncons and next to the hyperlink icon (one with the world and paper).  Hope this helps :)

florida

I sent a picture to alpsroads of the old faded brown US 441 shields in Mt. Dora. There was also a nicely-colored shield on Silver Star Road west at US 441, but that's now gone. The US 1 shields in New Smyrna Beach were/are at Peninsula Drive south at A1A (these were gone after Hurricane Charley), and a Live Oak both NB and SB at A1A/44. I don't know if they're standing. Also, looking through my old photos, I have a US 1 shield that was on Broward Blvd west at US 1 in Fort Lauderdale.
So many roads...so little time.

Alex

I went to check out those brown U.S. 441 shields only to find that they were carbon copied horribly with standard black/white signs.

There still is a red U.S. 1 shield in Boca Raton. It was still standing as of last October.

florida

Ft. Lauderdale (could still be there)

Orlando (but not anymore)

Santa Rosa Beach (could still be there)

Tallahassee

Williston (probably still there)

Kissimmee (last known green 192, could still be there)

Leesburg (Citizens Bv, Former FL 25A)

Leesburg (just north of the US 27/US 441 split)

Alex

The white/black U.S. 98 at Santa Rosa Beach is definitely gone. Only one left that we could find in Walton County.

florida

:-(  It will be missed. We're lucky it even stuck around for this long.

Norn-Iron

The kissimee 192 shield was still there at the end of march...

Alex

There are still two green 27's (as of Feb. '07) down by Sebring. Its on a connector road between a lake and the main highway. There's a shopping center next to it.

florida

CR 634, where it wraps around the lake, on the west side of downtown Sebring? There was one on CR 621 west at US 27/CR 17A in Lake Placid.

mefailenglish

Quote from: Norn-Iron on May 13, 2009, 02:35:17 PM
The kissimee 192 shield was still there at the end of march...
Is it?  I found the location on Google Maps and it appears to be gone now.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=IHOP&sll=28.305288,-81.604042&sspn=0.193455,0.268478&ie=UTF8&radius=8.18&rq=1&ll=28.333102,-81.592133&spn=0,359.99161&z=17&layer=c&cbll=28.333741,-81.590428&panoid=v9Gc8_dGWjn-d0ozYPsoCg&cbp=12,84.36,,0,2.17

I think I know exactly where that blue 90 is in Tallahassee.  It's on the west side of town, right?

I'm going to try to check out those green 27's this winter, along with a 17/92 set in Davenport which may or may not still be around.  If I get the time I may also get a pic of a badly faded 29.

Alex

Quote from: mefailenglish on May 26, 2009, 08:07:51 AM

I'm going to try to check out those green 27's this winter, along with a 17/92 set in Davenport which may or may not still be around.  If I get the time I may also get a pic of a badly faded 29.

Let me know which ones you want to track down, and I'll send you copies of the photos I have taken with their exact locations.

Alex

Looking through some old photos and comparing them to flaroadgeek's recent trip, this U.S. 98 entry in Perry that Andy and I found in late 2006 is gone:

FLRoads

Yep, so that means no more colored shields in Perry...  :angry:

rickmastfan67

Man, I so wish I could have seen on of these in person in the field. :(  (I might have back in the early 90's or in '96, but I wasn't aware of these, so I never looked for them [was only 12 in '96]).

However, I do know at least the location of one of the older style state route shields for Florida that was "modified" into a county shield in Duval County; and it might be the last one left there. :D

Alex

There are clusters of them still around, especially in the Big Bend and Panhandle areas. There are a few in the smaller counties west of Jacksonville and east of Lake City as well. When you are next in Florida, one of us can direct you to some finds so you can see them for yourself.   :colorful:

Alex

This one was found on Pasco County 54 east in November 2007 at U.S. 98 but gone by October 2008.

agentsteel53

I have a photo of that 98 pair from August, 2006.

they had 1993 installation stamps on the back.

Not far away is this 1996 example, which is the only wide colored shield I've ever seen.  Same day in August '06; no idea if it is still there today.

1996 is three years after the Feds stopped funding for Floridachrome.  The shield is an FDOT product; I have no idea if it's a thumb at the federal nose, or simply a sign that was installed in 1996, despite having been manufactured several years earlier.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

florida

From what is rumored to be said, FDOT exhausted their backstock after the feds pulled funding for the Floridachrome.

mefailenglish

Sadly, the wide yellow 301 is gone.  :-(

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.