News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

6 Laning I-40

Started by US71, April 25, 2012, 12:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msunat97

The eastbound bridges over Lake Conway are back to their original lanes.  smooth & much straighter ride through the area on one side of the road.  Here's hoping the WB side are back to the original by May.

msunat97

The 2 WB Lake Conway bridges have had their concrete barriers removed between the bridge & the roadway.  Looks like some final paving, painting the lines & the shoulder barriers are all that is lacking before they are opened up.

msunat97

The WB bridges are now back to their original path.  All they lack now is finishing up...Fall of 2014 or later...  :banghead:

Gnutella

A big tornado smashed through Mayflower, AR earlier today, and somebody got aerial video of the damage in the aftermath near I-40. The winds were so powerful that the temporary concrete barriers were pushed into the construction zone.

Hope everybody's OK.

US71

Quote from: Gnutella on April 28, 2014, 03:24:24 AM
A big tornado smashed through Mayflower, AR earlier today, and somebody got aerial video of the damage in the aftermath near I-40. The winds were so powerful that the temporary concrete barriers were pushed into the construction zone.

Hope everybody's OK.

Near as I can tell, all my friends in that area are OK, but there were 16 fatalities. Vilonia and El Paso (along US 64) got hit really hard....spotters are saying F5.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Gnutella

Quote from: US71 on April 28, 2014, 07:34:07 AM

Hope everybody's OK.

Near as I can tell, all my friends in that area are OK, but there were 16 fatalities. Vilonia and El Paso (along US 64) got hit really hard....spotters are saying F5.

Yeah, I saw some foundations that were wiped pretty clean, so it wouldn't surprise me. If it's rated F5, then it'd be the first in Arkansas since the National Weather Service was founded in 1950.

US71

Quote from: Gnutella on April 28, 2014, 01:54:26 PM
Quote from: US71 on April 28, 2014, 07:34:07 AM

Hope everybody's OK.

Yeah, I saw some foundations that were wiped pretty clean, so it wouldn't surprise me. If it's rated F5, then it'd be the first in Arkansas since the National Weather Service was founded in 1950.

Preliminary report from NWS is EF-3, but they are still checking damage and will likely have a final decision Wednesday.

msunat97

That video was a drone video shot by a storm chaser.  The first area the drone highlights was Mayflower RV store.  The smashed white truck in the WB I-40 lane was a different storm chaser who got a little too close.

Traffic on 40 is still slow through Mayflower in both directions due to rubber necking.  There have been reports of 2 hour drives between Little Rock & Conway...it's only a 30 minute drive.

msunat97

AHTD...what's the latest updates on the completion of the ongoing work?  When will the next section from Morgan exit to 430 start?  Are there any drawings of the 430 / 40 interchange?

AHTD

We had a public involvement meeting back in March. Follow this link for information:

http://www.arkansashighways.com/public_meetings/2014/061367/061367.aspx

Interchange modifications include adding a second lane from the I-430 NB to I-40 WB ramp as well as a second lane from I-40 EB to I-430 SB ramp.
Travel and construction information available at www.idrivearkansas.com

msunat97

AHTD...when will the Conway section of the 6 lane expansion be open?  it looks like they are close

AHTD

Breaking News on the AARoads Forum!

A seven-mile stretch of the new third lane on I-40 in Faulkner County has opened between mm 125 and mm 132. All six lanes were available to motorists beginning late yesterday afternoon and early this morning.

There are still a few areas in which the contractor will need to perform minor work on the final driving surface. This will require temporary lane closures.

ALL of the work on I-40 in Faulkner County will be complete by the end of summer!

msunat97

The new lanes are great!  I'm excited to see when the rest are opened.

bjrush

Drove through Conway today...congrats AHTD on a long and complex project (almost) done! It really works well

The present decade will be forever known as the "Years of the 6-lane with massive center concrete median construction project" in Arkansas!
Woo Pig Sooie

msunat97

AHTD...when will the next set of new lanes be open?  It looks like the progress has slowed in Faulkner County

Avalanchez71

What a waste of taxpayer money.

msunat97

Avalanchez71...with the traffic loading from Faulkner County coming to Little Rock every day it makes sense.  Luckily I drive opposite of the heavy traffic, but it is needed for the area.

US71

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 26, 2014, 04:07:02 PM
While the highway dept is good at that, I don't think that is the case here.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: US71 on May 27, 2014, 11:31:52 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 26, 2014, 04:07:02 PM
While the highway dept is good at that, I don't think that is the case here.

With trucking traffic I-40 needs to be 6 laned from Oklahoma City to the I-81 interchange.

iPhone

msunat97

AHTD...what's the next milestone in this project?  I could see some of the westbound opening up between the Mayflower / Highway 89 overpass & the old weigh station.

AHTD

The next milestone is to bid the I-40/I-430 interchange AND the last segment up to State Highway 365 (Morgan/Maumelle Exit).

Everything under construction now should be complete by the end of summer.

msunat97

AHTD...do you expect the entire section under construction to open at once or to open the Faulkner County section open first?  The Faulkner county section looks like it could be opened with some focused effort in a month or 6 weeks.  The Pulaski County section looks like a true September completion.

Wayward Memphian

One governed 18 wheeler passing another governed 18 wheeler between Memphis and LR is an endless frustration. So wish we could do what Texas did and put in the tolled express lanes.

msunat97

I-40 update...the concrete roadway barriers in Faulkner County have bene taken down.  Looks like the paving of the new lanes & inside shoulders should begin soon.  The section through Mayflower could be done by Labor Day (I hope sooner).

AHTD

Quote from: Wayward Memphian on June 22, 2014, 12:48:53 AM
One governed 18 wheeler passing another governed 18 wheeler between Memphis and LR is an endless frustration. So wish we could do what Texas did and put in the tolled express lanes.

We are putting the finishing touches on the executive summary for the study, which will be presented to the Arkansas Highway Commission on July 23rd.

We'll post a copy of it here, of course!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.