News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

^^ and Clearview is not supposed to be used in exit tabs.

wanderer2575

^^  That's Michigan standard.  One can argue about the standard, but the exit tab is not a design error per that standard.

ClassicHasClass

Is ... the I in EXIT different too?

LilianaUwU

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 15, 2023, 02:15:10 PM
^^  That's Michigan standard.  One can argue about the standard, but the exit tab is not a design error per that standard.
Just because it's a standard doesn't mean it's not a design error.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

wanderer2575

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 17, 2023, 08:28:34 PM

No, that's just how it displays on the graphic.  Same with the "d" in Jolly Rd.  You can see in the detail spec under the sign there is no change in font specified for those letters. 

JoePCool14

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 17, 2023, 08:28:34 PM

Typical PDF viewer problem. There's usually a setting to disable that happening, but I forgot the name.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

wanderer2575

A minor error in the grand scheme of things, but that's what we live for.  New signs on the nbd I-275 C/D ramp to I-94 in Romulus, MI.  The left sign is missing the "West" direction.

The signing plan shows the previous sign included no direction, and the new sign was designed to duplicate it exactly...

... But in fact the previous sign did include the "West" direction.

PurdueBill

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 27, 2023, 12:44:42 AM
A minor error in the grand scheme of things, but that's what we live for.  New signs on the nbd I-275 C/D ramp to I-94 in Romulus, MI.  The left sign is missing the "West" direction.

The signing plan shows the previous sign included no direction, and the new sign was designed to duplicate it exactly...

... But in fact the previous sign did include the "West" direction.

It's almost like someone copied the new signs over for the old ones in the layout.  Wonder if someone didn't have the layout of the old signs on hand so they just winged it with carbons of the new ones?  Hmm.

The missing direction one way reminds me of this on OH 15 which now has SOUTH where it belongs but didn't used to.  https://goo.gl/maps/pPATH8g9csoXqMem9
This may be evidence of some kind of law of conservation--the assembly in Ohio gained a missing direction, while the one in Michigan lost one.

formulanone

There's a few mistakes here but somehow, it doesn't quite pull off "terrible"...

Located on Clay CR 215, near Camp Blanding.

kirbykart

SignBridge

Quote from: kirbykart on September 26, 2023, 08:31:39 AM
This has to be the strangest arrow placement ever.

That really is weird. More like something you'd see in California where the legend can be all over the signs in a haphazard arrangement.

Scott5114

Quote from: SignBridge on September 29, 2023, 07:56:08 PM

That really is weird. More like something you'd see in California where the legend can be all over the signs in a haphazard arrangement.

It looks like someone forgot where the sign they were drawing was going to be installed, designed a pull-thru, freaked out for a bit when they realized how they had just messed up, then just put the arrow where it would fit and pushed it, hoping their boss wouldn't notice.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 30, 2023, 12:37:32 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 29, 2023, 07:56:08 PM

It looks like someone forgot where the sign they were drawing was going to be installed, designed a pull-thru, freaked out for a bit when they realized how they had just messed up, then just put the arrow where it would fit and pushed it, hoping their boss wouldn't notice.

Look where it's located...

I've seen signs in Missouri like that before.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

chrismarion100

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8935232,-91.4226061,3a,22.2y,305.7h,107.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVwB7mzlIA76GnzUMU7QaZA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Somebody must of accidentally moved SOUTH right as it appears that its left side is aligned to the left side of the US 53 shield.

CovalenceSTU

Shield fading? Don't worry boss, I'm on it!

I also posted this in the Redesign this! thread a wile back but this sign has an arrow in-between two lanes (among other things):

74/171FAN

This is the access road from PA 188 to US 19/PA 21.  The biggest issue here is that PA 21 is signed east-west, but I am unsure if it is truly an error. (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219551003366198&set=a.10219551118889086)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

TheCatalyst31

Wisconsin tends to put END plates and JCT plates on the same sign assemblies even though its JCT plates are taller, so they visibly don't line up. It always looks off to me, but it's clearly intentional so I wouldn't call it a design error.

But when you slap a short END plate over a taller plate, that's definitely a design error.

wanderer2575

Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on October 19, 2023, 03:32:54 PM
Wisconsin tends to put END plates and JCT plates on the same sign assemblies even though its JCT plates are taller, so they visibly don't line up. It always looks off to me, but it's clearly intentional so I wouldn't call it a design error.

But when you slap a short END plate over a taller plate, that's definitely a design error.

It's not a design error.  It's an installation error due to "grab whatever out of the warehouse" sloppiness.

Big John

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 19, 2023, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: TheCatalyst31 on October 19, 2023, 03:32:54 PM

It's not a design error.  It's an installation error due to "grab whatever out of the warehouse" sloppiness.
Hard to do in Wisconsin as they usually use unisigns now.

74/171FAN

VA 105 WB at US 60 WB in Newport News, VA.  I do not think Newport News understands how to use EXIT ONLY....  (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219701198080972&set=a.10219701306443681)

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

plain

I was just there a couple nights ago. I think something like BASE TRAFFIC ONLY would've been much better. Also, the city should've put another US 60 WEST posting at the exit gore itself.
Newark born, Richmond bred

74/171FAN

NY 25 WB near County Courthouse Rd/Marcus Rd in Mineola, NY (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219723592320814&set=a.10219723725924154)

On the Cross Island Pkwy EAST and WEST are in the wrong spots (https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10219723697683448&set=a.10219723725924154)

wanderer2575

I don't know whether this was a design error or a fabrication error, but the new exit gore signs on sbd US-127 at I-94 in Jackson, MI had their arrows mixed up regarding which is the right exit and which is the left exit.  Crews slapped patches on the signs, resulting in arrows that not only are ugly but are on the wrong sides of the signs.

Big John

^^Are those exit signs on a DDI?

wanderer2575

^^  Yes, because traffic is coming off a freeway.  Sbd US-127 to ebd I-94 is a freeway-to-freeway movement.  Used to be a six-ramp parclo with a traffic signal in that movement; now it's a DDI with a traffic signal in that movement.   :banghead:

ETA:  Coming northbound (surface road), the yellow field on the left exit signs says LANE ONLY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.