News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwm1276

Traffic has changed a lot in Rockford as well.  The Southeast corner of Rockford that the Whitman Street bridge with 6th and 9th streets used to have much higher concentration of jobs.  Plus some had a 39 extension that would have connected somewhere in that location, maintaining the US 51 route.

With this change they can remove the all the east side north south 1 ways, making 3rd street which already connects to Kishwaukee St a more direct connection for 251 while moving that traffic a block east allowing the downtown area to close streets for events easier.

The 6th and 9th street one ways are just weird being blocks apart and neither carry that much traffic and 2 lane bi-directional traffic on each will most likely work better and total capacity is really nor reduced much.

quickshade

Quote from: cwm1276 on December 07, 2020, 07:32:06 PM
Traffic has changed a lot in Rockford as well.  The Southeast corner of Rockford that the Whitman Street bridge with 6th and 9th streets used to have much higher concentration of jobs.  Plus some had a 39 extension that would have connected somewhere in that location, maintaining the US 51 route.

With this change they can remove the all the east side north south 1 ways, making 3rd street which already connects to Kishwaukee St a more direct connection for 251 while moving that traffic a block east allowing the downtown area to close streets for events easier.

The 6th and 9th street one ways are just weird being blocks apart and neither carry that much traffic and 2 lane bi-directional traffic on each will most likely work better and total capacity is really nor reduced much.

This is already under planning at the city with the first of these changes being the conversion of Church St and Main St to a two way through street. This has been in the plan for a while but they are having trouble securing a federal grant to cover some of the costs on this project.

Crash_It

Not sure of how I feel about the dedicated bus lanes turning up within the City of Chicago (79th Street for example). On one side, it does help reduce bus/vehicle conflicts in situations when the buses just bully themselves back on the road after completing a stop. However, on the flip side, what if you are stuck behind a slow driver and need to pass? You can't anymore because of the new bus lanes.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on December 14, 2020, 08:01:04 PM
However, on the flip side, what if you are stuck behind a slow driver and need to pass? You can't anymore because of the new bus lanes.

Then you won't have as much video footage of road rage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on December 15, 2020, 12:07:24 PM
However, on the flip side, what if you are stuck behind a slow driver and need to pass? You can't anymore because of the new bus lanes.

you can't deny that slow driving is bad driving, there's no need for it if the weather conditions don't call for it.

skluth

Quote from: Crash_It on December 15, 2020, 03:33:21 PM

you can't deny that slow driving is bad driving, there's no need for it if the weather conditions don't call for it.

It depends on how much pedestrian and bicycle traffic is also in the area. Fast traffic in urban areas can be lethal to those not protected by steel cages.

kphoger

Did I deny that somehow?  No, I mean that, if nobody can pass anybody, then (1) you won't be able to capture video of the slower driver getting ticked off at you for having passed him, nor (2) will you be able to capture video of your own road rage at a faster driver passing you.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on December 15, 2020, 04:25:31 PM

Did I deny that somehow?  No, I mean that, if nobody can pass anybody, then (1) you won't be able to capture video of the slower driver getting ticked off at you for having passed him, nor (2) will you be able to capture video of your own road rage at a faster driver passing you.

Well, there were numerous people disobeying the new bus only regulation.

Brandon

When did that ever stop the locals from passing? They use bus lanes, bike lanes, and even oncoming traffic lanes to pass anyone they think is going just a bit too slowly.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on December 15, 2020, 07:29:15 PM

When did that ever stop the locals from passing? They use bus lanes, bike lanes, and even oncoming traffic lanes to pass anyone they think is going just a bit too slowly.
You type that as if its a problem. Heck, sidewalks and are fair game, too!

iowahighways

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on November 13, 2020, 06:02:32 PM
The westbound span of the new I-74 tied-arch bridge on the Mississippi River between Moline, IL and Bettendorf, IA is now open to traffic.

Starting Friday, Illinois-bound traffic will be shifted to two lanes of the new Iowa-bound span. The old bridge will remain open for access to downtown Moline from Bettendorf (traffic will have to exit at US 67) until the new Illinois-bound span opens next fall. (per https://www.facebook.com/I74RiverBridge/posts/1067176683803770)
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

Revive 755

It appears IDOT has selected a preferred alternative for I-55 through Springfield.  Based on the Youtube video included on that site

* (~2:25) The I-55/I-72/6th Street interchange gets a NB to WB flyover.  EB I-72 gets a C-D roadway, and now merges onto the right side of NB I-55.
* (~3:00) The Stevenson Drive interchange becomes a SPUI.
* (~3:44) The IL 29/South Grand interchange becomes a SPUI.
* (~4:00) C-D roadways added between IL 29 and I-72.
* (~4:10) The I-72/Clear Lake Avenue interchange gets a semi-direct ramp for mainline WB I-72, but the WB to SB loop also remains.  There's also a new ramp shown for EB I-72 from NB I-55.
* (~4:30) The IL 54/Sagamon Avenue interchange becomes a partial cloverleaf, with loops for the NB to WB and SB to EB movements.

ilpt4u

I drove up from Southern IL to Chicagoland via I-57 on Jan 2nd, after sunset

A couple of years ago on this thread we discussed IDOT and LED Lighting...During my trip, I noticed the I-57/70 multiplex in Effingham is 100% LED lit now - looked like an ISTHA-style lit roadway. Very nice and bright! Not sure how long it has been that way

Otherwise, I noticed the I-57/US 30 interchange in Will County is lit with LED lighting, but surrounded by the old lighting north and south of it. Quite a contrast, just cruising down 57

More general thoughts: The fact that the 57/70 multiplex is a fully lit roadway around Effingham for IDOT is a stark contrast to I-69 in Bloomington, IN, where INDOT did NOT light the roadway - Bloomington is certainly a more populous area than Effingham. INDOT should have lit up 69, imho - and probably should between Martinsville and 465 also as it is built

Ryctor2018

There's some lighting, just not the entire length of I-69 in Bloomington. Only the interchanges, and the roadway from 3rd st. south to IN-45. This may also be an Indiana thing, as I-465 is not lit either except at certain interchanges. Reminds me of California, which has dark freeways even in the heart of Los Angeles.
2DI's traveled: 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 24, 30, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45, 49, 55, 57, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 85, 87, 88, 90, 93, 94, 95, 96

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Ryctor2018 on January 03, 2021, 06:42:05 PM
There's some lighting, just not the entire length of I-69 in Bloomington. Only the interchanges, and the roadway from 3rd st. south to IN-45. This may also be an Indiana thing, as I-465 is not lit either except at certain interchanges. Reminds me of California, which has dark freeways even in the heart of Los Angeles.

The Indiana standard with lighting on freeways is usually 4 or more lanes in each direction.

EpicRoadways

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 03, 2021, 02:01:30 AM

A couple of years ago on this thread we discussed IDOT and LED Lighting...During my trip, I noticed the I-57/70 multiplex in Effingham is 100% LED lit now - looked like an ISTHA-style lit roadway. Very nice and bright! Not sure how long it has been that way

Otherwise, I noticed the I-57/US 30 interchange in Will County is lit with LED lighting, but surrounded by the old lighting north and south of it. Quite a contrast, just cruising down 57

More general thoughts: The fact that the 57/70 multiplex is a fully lit roadway around Effingham for IDOT is a stark contrast to I-69 in Bloomington, IN, where INDOT did NOT light the roadway - Bloomington is certainly a more populous area than Effingham. INDOT should have lit up 69, imho - and probably should between Martinsville and 465 also as it is built
IDOT has its weak spots, but lighting is solidly not one of them. Every time I drive through the Chicago area to visit relatives in Nashville it always surprises me just how far out of Chicagoland there is continuous lighting on I-57- all the way to the Peotone rest areas, some 30 miles outside of Chicago proper surrounded by cornfields. In urban and suburban areas, continuous lighting is the norm while in many rural areas they make extensive use of lighting at interchanges and major intersections. I also like how (at least historically) most rural interchange lighting outside of the Chicago area has been painted brown to blend in with the surroundings (example). Sure Illinois has some pretty rough roads and bridges, but I'd nominate them for the best, most consistent freeway lighting in the country.

captkirk_4

Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 03, 2021, 11:28:23 PM

IDOT has its weak spots, but lighting is solidly not one of them. Every time I drive through the Chicago area to visit relatives in Nashville it always surprises me just how far out of Chicagoland there is continuous lighting on I-57- all the way to the Peotone rest areas, some 30 miles outside of Chicago proper surrounded by cornfields. In urban and suburban areas, continuous lighting is the norm while in many rural areas they make extensive use of lighting at interchanges and major intersections. I also like how (at least historically) most rural interchange lighting outside of the Chicago area has been painted brown to blend in with the surroundings (example). Sure Illinois has some pretty rough roads and bridges, but I'd nominate them for the best, most consistent freeway lighting in the country.

Yes, Illinois has actual steel poles holding the stop lights out in a proper position that makes them visible. Not dangling from a wire, blowing around in the wind like in Indiana and Michigan. Michigan has them hanging right under the spot you stop and you have to tilt your head and look up through the window to see them. As far as Effingham goes, I'd hope the lights are nice, it took them absolutely forever to complete that stretch where 70 and 57 come together. That is a big highway service area that seems to attract every chain out there trying to take advantage of the two for one location. I think around Rantoul the city of Effingham already has a big billboard advertising all the hotels and restaurants in that short stretch.

edwaleni

Quote from: captkirk_4 on January 04, 2021, 09:01:00 AM
Quote from: EpicRoadways on January 03, 2021, 11:28:23 PM

Yes, Illinois has actual steel poles holding the stop lights out in a proper position that makes them visible. Not dangling from a wire, blowing around in the wind like in Indiana and Michigan. Michigan has them hanging right under the spot you stop and you have to tilt your head and look up through the window to see them. As far as Effingham goes, I'd hope the lights are nice, it took them absolutely forever to complete that stretch where 70 and 57 come together. That is a big highway service area that seems to attract every chain out there trying to take advantage of the two for one location. I think around Rantoul the city of Effingham already has a big billboard advertising all the hotels and restaurants in that short stretch.

I was the one who emailed IDOT and provided the various studies on the cost savings of using LED's instead of the sodium halide variety. My email was forwarded to a manager in IDOT Engineering. After that I was not in the loop.

I did later talk to a supplier to DOT's around the country and he said its not just a straight forward cost savings replacement. Many DOT's have replacement cycles for lighting and plan them in their district budgets. Also many DOT's had not even started certification of the modules needed for the conversion. As for certification, it is around a whole host of parameters that I would have thought FHA or someone would have already done. If IDOT had them installed in the Effingham project that means they got the specifications they needed and into the bid process. That is good news.

Now with IDOT funding set free of the shackles of poor management by the legislature, hopefully we will see some straight out LED replacement bids go out. The savings will soon aggregate and in 5 years they will start to see a remarkable reduction in their energy bills.

skluth

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 02, 2021, 11:19:55 PM
It appears IDOT has selected a preferred alternative for I-55 through Springfield.  Based on the Youtube video included on that site

* (~2:25) The I-55/I-72/6th Street interchange gets a NB to WB flyover.  EB I-72 gets a C-D roadway, and now merges onto the right side of NB I-55.
* (~4:10) The I-72/Clear Lake Avenue interchange gets a semi-direct ramp for mainline WB I-72, but the WB to SB loop also remains.  There's also a new ramp shown for EB I-72 from NB I-55.
* (~4:30) The IL 54/Sagamon Avenue interchange becomes a partial cloverleaf, with loops for the NB to WB and SB to EB movements.

Thanks. A couple more bullets after watching the video:

• I-55 around Springfield will finally be six lanes. It's been needed since at least the late 80's.
  • The C-D lanes along I-55 will extend through the I-72/Clear Lake interchange so the remaining cloverleaf ramps will no longer be coming directly onto the highway.
I don't know if it was just missed in production, but both the WB to SB old cloverleaf ramp and new flyover at Clear Lake were shown in the video. It seems like the cloverleaf would probably be removed but I have seen them kept elsewhere.

edwaleni

Quote from: skluth on January 05, 2021, 04:28:14 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on January 02, 2021, 11:19:55 PM

Thanks. A couple more bullets after watching the video:

• I-55 around Springfield will finally be six lanes. It's been needed since at least the late 80's.
  • The C-D lanes along I-55 will extend through the I-72/Clear Lake interchange so the remaining cloverleaf ramps will no longer be coming directly onto the highway.
I don't know if it was just missed in production, but both the WB to SB old cloverleaf ramp and new flyover at Clear Lake were shown in the video. It seems like the cloverleaf would probably be removed but I have seen them kept elsewhere.

This video on I-55 is marked as "unlisted" in YouTube.

You can't search for it. I looked under Hanson's YT channel and it is not there.

It is physically there and playable, they just don't want people to stumble onto it or find it in a search result. Kind of like an unlisted telephone number.

I have never seen a state agency or their consultants mark a video in such a fashion. I have found tons of videos of projects that both were done and cancelled placed on YT, why would one on I-55 be any different?

Sheesh, Illinois, only Illinois.

paulthemapguy

^ They probably just wanted the video to be viewed only on their site, and needed to use youtube as nothing more than a place on the web to host it.

LM-V405

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Lyon Wonder

Work has started on a 4-lane bypass of US 67 through New Deli to just south of Jerseyville.

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/insider/article/Work-progresses-on-US-67-project-15857034.php

CtrlAltDel

I had to drive to Bloomington yesterday, and to mix things up a bit I took I-80 to I-39 to get there. On the way, I saw those single span bridges that were mentioned in this thread a while back, and I have to admit, I like them. I don't know how much they cost, but they give a clean uncluttered look to the landscape.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Since I happen to have the annual Improvements they ranged between under a million to 2 million. Over all inflation has less than doubled but I know roads are up more.

The 67 projects along with Lebanon bypass IS 34 and 24 that's about it for 4 lanes.
There is  3 lane on 20 and big reconstruction on 67 in Jerseyville Beardstown Bridge North of Monmouth and apparently South of Macomb.
Nothing like that leg of 39 . Done between 87 and 90. Also it got the 2 di North before the final freeway design south of Ogelsby decided.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.