INDOT awards $18.9 million contract to realign U.S. 33 through Goshen

Started by roadgeek, March 25, 2016, 09:01:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theline

The photo used in the article has shields overlaid, showing US 33 following 3rd St. When did that change from Main St.? It always went down Main and Google shows it going that way.

It looks like an improvement, moving through traffic out of the heart of downtown.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theline on March 25, 2016, 01:46:07 PM
The photo used in the article has shields overlaid, showing US 33 following 3rd St. When did that change from Main St.? It always went down Main and Google shows it going that way.

It looks like an improvement, moving through traffic out of the heart of downtown.

I don't remember the exact year, I'm going to guess 7-8 years ago, the city rounded the corner of the 3rd/Madison intersection and got US 33 and IN 15 rerouted over to 3rd from Main.  The city wanted to be able to close off Main regularly for festivals, etc., which is not allowable on state highways.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

rawmustard

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 25, 2016, 01:59:47 PM
I don't remember the exact year, I'm going to guess 7-8 years ago, the city rounded the corner of the 3rd/Madison intersection and got US 33 and IN 15 rerouted over to 3rd from Main.  The city wanted to be able to close off Main regularly for festivals, etc., which is not allowable on state highways.

I don't think the route signs were ever placed along 3rd, even though it's visibly the most logical routing. (There are several truck route signs, however.)

The Ghostbuster

I would reroute US 33 along Kercher Road (county highway 38), and then up county highway 17 to terminate at US 20, completely bypassing Goshen. Although this is fictional, does anyone think my proposal would make any sense? Oh, and existing 33 would become an extension of 933.

theline

Quote from: rawmustard on March 25, 2016, 04:22:15 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 25, 2016, 01:59:47 PM

I don't think the route signs were ever placed along 3rd, even though it's visibly the most logical routing. (There are several truck route signs, however.)

Thanks for the info. I was over there a few years ago and I saw the improvements to 3rd. I figured that 33 would be rerouted, but it hadn't yet. GSV still shows signs at the corner of LWE and Main indicating that 33 runs up Main. Maybe it's been signed since the GSV car went through.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 25, 2016, 04:34:36 PM
I would reroute US 33 along Kercher Road (county highway 38), and then up county highway 17 to terminate at US 20, completely bypassing Goshen. Although this is fictional, does anyone think my proposal would make any sense? Oh, and existing 33 would become an extension of 933.

I don't know what the standards are for bridges on state highways, but the CR 38 bridge over the Elkhart River just west of IN 15 may not meet those standards. 

Super Mateo

Quote from: theline on March 25, 2016, 01:46:07 PM

Google also shows IN 4 on the map.  Street View shows signage at Lincoln and Main from 2013 with guiders for IN 4, IN 15, and US 33.  The junction looked similar in 2015, except all of the IN 4 signs have been removed.  The photo caption in the article says IN 4, but I'm guessing it's actually been decommissioned?

NWI_Irish96

Didn't want to start a separate thread and this pertains to Elkhart County, so dropping it here:

Elkhart County is moving forward with plans to finish upgrading CR 17 all the way to US 6. The most recent info I can find is from a public meeting a year ago: http://www.elkcohwy.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/CR-17-PI-Meeting-FINAL-2019.09.23.pdf

Page 15 provides a project schedule, and page 16 a timetable that indicates that the CR 38 to CR 142 section is funded and scheduled for construction in 2024-26.

There is no indication as to whether or not INDOT would be willing to take over and sign the road, either with or without completion to US 6. IN 17, while it would both match the numbering of the county road and fit into the grid, is not available (though there is precedent for disjointed segments). Based on historical numbering practices, the most likely candidates are 215 or 233. The roadgeek dream scenario of renumbering the current IN 17 to IN 21 and switching IN 17 to CR 17 seems incredibly unlikely as there is no precedent for INDOT renumbering a state highway solely for the purposes of giving the number to a different highway.

Was CR 17 Elkhart County did because IN DOT was until now doing nothing on 33 or 19?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 3467 on September 21, 2020, 05:42:48 PM
Was CR 17 Elkhart County did because IN DOT was until now doing nothing on 33 or 19?

CR 17 was originally a two-lane rural county road. As Elkhart and Goshen grew toward each other, the road took on more significance as the only St. Joseph River crossing between downtown Elkhart and Bristol. The first section that got upgraded to 4 lanes was between CR 10 and 18 (including the bridge). Shortly after that, a new exit got built at the Toll Road and the section north of CR 10 got expanded to 4 lanes. Eventually, a new terrain 4 lane highway got built down to CR 28, and then eventually down to CR 38.

It doesn't really have anything to do with what INDOT did or didn't do on IN 19, but it did become a viable bypass of US 33 through Goshen.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.