News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

Quote from: MikeSantNY78 on September 01, 2014, 01:18:46 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 30, 2014, 09:02:52 PM
Spotted this gem en route to a party. Erie CR 11 shield, East River Road in Grand Island. Northbound at Ransom Road. This one is pretty out of the way and I don't know of other pictures. Was pretty shocked to see one. I don't know where the other CR 11 sign is/was (the southbound one on Gribblenation), but I know of fewer than half a dozen that remain even if that one is included.
Good find, and that raises a topic: Erie County has too many designated County Roads (mostly unsigned, and only lasting a few miles at best), a situation that truly needs to be rectified/streamlined (no idea how offhand); also, go to the standard CR pentagon, like most everywhere else.   

And while I'm venting, whose bright idea was it for the "Ramp" signs that popped up about 6-7 years ago? (ex.: RAMP Harlem Rd. to NY33 West) Do NYS drivers really need that kind of nannying, or are we truly that stupid not to read the route markers already there?

I've been thinking the same thing. The county maintains everything outside of subdivisions, cities, and Amherst (who maintains almost everything in the town). That's probably why everything is in such bad shape. I have a reduced system planned out in my head. If I get around to it today, I'll start a thread with my system and open it to comments/suggestions.

The ramp signs are pretty common in Ohio, but many parts of New York uses ramp reference markers instead of those signs. Interestingly, R1, which is run out of the home office, uses them pretty sparingly.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

AsphaltPlanet

Ramp signs are becoming norm in Niagara Region of Ontario as well.  It seems NYSDOT is wearing off on the MTO.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

empirestate

route17fan

I was wondering if that was mismarked. (is that even a word?  :-D)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

vdeane

Some streets in downtown Rochester that were converted to one-way in the 60s are about to be converted back: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/09/02/st-paul-north-clinton-become-two-way/14993773/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2014, 02:41:38 PM
Some streets in downtown Rochester that were converted to one-way in the 60s are about to be converted back: http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/news/2014/09/02/st-paul-north-clinton-become-two-way/14993773/

They recently did this to a short section of Main Street in Buffalo. As you can tell by the signage, it was one way northbound for a block from the mid-80s to a couple years ago and all SB traffic was forced to turn right. There's probably an article on it somewhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

empirestate

Quote from: vdeane on September 03, 2014, 02:41:38 PM

No shit? I've been out of town for a long time...

Mergingtraffic

Staten Island NY-440 work:

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2014/03/exclusive_west_shore_expresswa.html

Not sure if this was discussed earlier. 

Also, this swath of cleared land in NJ, and the stub (Park and ride) at the south end of NY-44, are these connected to an expressway that was never built??

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4805791,-74.2903531,2613m/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e1
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Pete from Boston

I believe that swath is the right-of-way of the Camden and Amboy, New Jersey's first railroad.

J N Winkler

Blast from the past:  as-builts for early NYC freeways (Bronx River Parkway extension, Major Deegan, Bruckner, Sheridan, Cross-Bronx, etc.) under "Supplemental Information" here:

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_DIGITAL_DOCS.show?p_arg_names=p_d_id&p_arg_values=D262631

Thank Santa Claus or, if you prefer, the uneasy ghost of Bob Moses, whose signature is on the title sheet of about half of these plans.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

route17fan

To quote Jackie Gleason on The Honeymooners: "hummmmina-hummmmmina-abbabababaybababbb"
:-D :clap:
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

vdeane

I think it's interesting that Cuomo is talking about reducing congestion on NY 440 being critical to NYC and yet the West Shore Expressway was the least congested road I have ever seen in NYC.  It actually felt rural when I was on it on the way to the NYC meet.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

02 Park Ave

If the governor really wanted to relieve congestion on Staten Island, he'd complete the Korean War Veterans Parkway up to the I-278.
C-o-H

D-Dey65

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on September 07, 2014, 04:39:41 PM
If the governor really wanted to relieve congestion on Staten Island, he'd complete the Korean War Veterans Parkway up to the I-278.
I've been saying that for years. He should also extend the West Shore Expressway northeast to the Willowbrook Expressway, the Willowbrook Expressway to the Great Kills Park, and revive the Wolfe's Pond Parkway, and possibly even the Shore Front Drive.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on September 07, 2014, 05:30:02 PM
I've been saying that for years. He should also extend the West Shore Expressway northeast to the Willowbrook Expressway, the Willowbrook Expressway to the Great Kills Park, and revive the Wolfe's Pond Parkway, and possibly even the Shore Front Drive.

He can't do that, at least not during an election year. His environmentalist friends would get everyone to vote for Teachout instead.

Arkansastravelguy

Quote from: vdeane on September 07, 2014, 02:59:02 PM
I think it's interesting that Cuomo is talking about reducing congestion on NY 440 being critical to NYC and yet the West Shore Expressway was the least congested road I have ever seen in NYC.  It actually felt rural when I was on it on the way to the NYC meet.
440 is awesome. Newly paved and low volume. As for 278... While they are replacing the Goethals just blow up the whole damn road and start over. The condition of that road... I don't think anyone would notice if it was blown up. Maybe even make it smoother

iPhone

Pete from Boston

What should he do if he wants to support a politically realistic proposal instead?

Mergingtraffic

https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_NOTICE_ADMIN.VIEWFILE?p_file_id=4989&p_is_digital=Y

the ramp to I-84 from I-684 NB is being fixed.  The sharp curve and the mid-1980s reflecotized button copy are going away.

vdeane

Is something up with NY 279 in Waterport?  The 511 site doesn't show any closures, but Google Maps shows the bridge as not existing.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2014, 10:12:20 PM

What should he do if he wants to support a politically realistic proposal instead?
It's pathetic that we've gotten to a point where converting limited-access highways into dead end streets is considered "realistic."

Quote from: doofy103 on September 29, 2014, 10:56:55 PM
the ramp to I-84 from I-684 NB is being fixed.  The sharp curve and the mid-1980s reflecotized button copy are going away.
NYSDOT Region 10 should get rid of the sharp curve on the ramp between westbound Northern State Parkway and Sunken Meadow State Parkway. The last time I checked, there was still enough room to put a bridge for the ramp under Harned Road. While they're at it, they should do the same with the east to southbound ramp between the Southern State Parkway and NY 135 with a bridge under Seaman's Neck Road.

cl94

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 01, 2014, 02:49:17 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on September 07, 2014, 10:12:20 PM

It's pathetic that we've gotten to a point where converting limited-access highways into dead end streets is considered "realistic."

Welcome to New York. Politics rule everything. Have to appease the special interest groups.

vdeane

Any attempt to revive the Korean War Veterans Parkway extension (or any NYC freeway project) would likely be met with stiff opposition, and the budget is tight anyways.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: J N Winkler on September 07, 2014, 12:35:08 PM
Blast from the past:  as-builts for early NYC freeways (Bronx River Parkway extension, Major Deegan, Bruckner, Sheridan, Cross-Bronx, etc.) under "Supplemental Information" here:
https://www.dot.ny.gov/portal/pls/portal/MEXIS_APP.BC_CONST_DIGITAL_DOCS.show?p_arg_names=p_d_id&p_arg_values=D262631

Excellent find J N! 
Now my OCD is settling in:

These two signs....

and

I have been able to find out based on J N Winkler's link is that the KEEP LEFT and KEEP RIGHT overlays and EXIT 6B exit tab were added on between 1975-1978.  The signs predate 1971 as the plans were first checked off as reviewed in 1971 and they say those signs are already existing. The contract was awarded in 1974 for the overlays and completed by June 1978.

So my question is this, how far back do these signs go?  I ask because wasn't I-278 originally signed as I-878 in this area?  So if the sign is original did they replace the I-878 with a button copy I-278 shield?

These signs were taken down in August of this year sadly.

SignBridge

Doofy, I think you might be mistaken about I-878 from the old days. The Bruckner Expwy. to the Triboro Br. I believe was always I-278, going all the way back to the first BGS's in the 1960's.

Duke87

I have a 1967 Hagstrom that shows I-878 on the Bruckner east of the Sheridan.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.