News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on April 01, 2015, 12:49:31 PM
Hold it with the foaming. Way too early for that and, if anything ever gets built, a southern bypass that serves the dual purpose of rerouting through traffic and getting trucks off of US 20 is more likely. There also isn't an available number unless they renumber I-690.

At this point, anything to the south would have to begin west of Hamburg and run in the remaining undeveloped, relatively flat area between there and Pembroke. Might be too far east for most people. A northern bypass could use the LaSalle Expressway,  but it'd have to stay in Niagara County until around NY 78 to avoid Amherst and Clarence and not merge into I-90 until near Pembroke. Again, it might be too far out to do anything and you'd be committing everyone to one river crossing that has no expansion plans.

:pan: Have you checked your calendar? It's April 1st!

Seriously however, your idea makes the most sense, a bypass (maybe 400 extension) could get traffic to the 390 and NYC faster via 86/17.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

vdeane

Similarly, Rochester intends to complete its highway plan and build an intermodal freeway to finish I-390.
http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2015/04/southern-communities-active-transportation-plan-rochester-to-henrietta/
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Buffaboy

Quote from: vdeane on April 01, 2015, 08:20:21 PM
Similarly, Rochester intends to complete its highway plan and build an intermodal freeway to finish I-390.
http://www.rochestersubway.com/topics/2015/04/southern-communities-active-transportation-plan-rochester-to-henrietta/

Haha wow! This is funny!
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

kkt

cl94

Some permanent-looking emergency detour signs went up along I-290 at Exit 3 pretty recently. I'm assuming yesterday, as that's the date on the back of them. Detour A turns onto US 62 NB from the WB exit ramp and a Detour B sign is posted at the SB-WB entrance ramp. Anyone know what's up with these signs or if they're being posted elsewhere?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buffaboy

Quote from: cl94 on April 03, 2015, 07:15:22 PM
Some permanent-looking emergency detour signs went up along I-290 at Exit 3 pretty recently. I'm assuming yesterday, as that's the date on the back of them. Detour A turns onto US 62 NB from the WB exit ramp and a Detour B sign is posted at the SB-WB entrance ramp. Anyone know what's up with these signs or if they're being posted elsewhere?

Could it be highway widening? Bridge work? I'm just throwing out guesses.

vdeane

Those wouldn't be permanent.  It's probably something like the "emergency detour E" signage in Utica.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

For those interested in the progress of the Utica North-South Arterial project, I did a dash cam video last night.  Here's part 1, heading north/east to south/west with a little bit extra.  It's in real time and there's no groovy music but you'll get an idea of what's going on.

https://youtu.be/D_h0M4gCk50

I'll post part 2 later today or tomorrow, which has the other direction and some of the side streets around the project.

Buffaboy

Quote from: upstatenyroads on April 10, 2015, 09:17:53 AM
For those interested in the progress of the Utica North-South Arterial project, I did a dash cam video last night.  Here's part 1, heading north/east to south/west with a little bit extra.  It's in real time and there's no groovy music but you'll get an idea of what's going on.

https://youtu.be/D_h0M4gCk50

I'll post part 2 later today or tomorrow, which has the other direction and some of the side streets around the project.

It definitely captures the work being done and having driven by it yesterday it seems they are moving at a good clip.

Will the bridges themselves be asphalt bridges or concrete?

vdeane

Probably concrete.  I don't know if NY has any pure asphalt bridges, at least on state roadways.  They're pretty much all concrete or overlays.  The new Arterial lanes are concrete, so the bridges should be as well.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2015, 08:25:57 PM
Probably concrete.  I don't know if NY has any pure asphalt bridges, at least on state roadways.  They're pretty much all concrete or overlays.  The new Arterial lanes are concrete, so the bridges should be as well.

"Asphalt" bridges have an overlay because the deck slab is a structural element. Typically, concrete is underneath the asphalt, but it could be steel. Flexible pavement (asphalt) can't carry a load by itself. Most of the asphalt-decked bridges out there are simple overlays over concrete.

New York traditionally uses a concrete wearing surface for new construction or major reconstruction of high-volume roads, but this isn't always the case. I-781 and NY 17 around Exit 98 opened with asphalt lanes and I'm pretty sure that the Northway through the Adirondacks opened with asphalt. It's actually more of a shock to see something big that isn't concrete.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

qguy

Like the word "never," "always" is a strong word, disproved by just one example, but it would be exceedingly difficult to find a modern highway bridge that doesn't have a concrete deck. The configuration is steel or concrete beams mounted on piers and/or abutments, with a concrete deck mounted on the beams (typically poured onto pan forms which lay atop the beams). Sometimes the concrete deck directly serves as the wearing surface; sometimes the concrete deck is topped with an asphalt wearing surface.

An asphalt surface is never laid directly on the beams (be they steel or concrete).

This all may be obvious already (if so, feel free to eye-roll to your heart's content), but having worked for a state transportation agency and observed bridge construction many times, I just wanted to clarify.

Buffaboy

Quote from: vdeane on April 13, 2015, 08:25:57 PM

After reading this I think I mean overlay now.

Big John

^^ There are no pure asphalt bridges.  Asphalt is a "flexible" pavement and a bridge made of that would not hold up.  You can place an asphalt overlay over a concrete or timber deck, but as a non-structural component.

Alps

Quote from: Big John on April 14, 2015, 10:25:40 PM
^^ There are no pure asphalt bridges.  Asphalt is a "flexible" pavement and a bridge made of that would not hold up.  You can place an asphalt overlay over a concrete or timber deck, but as a non-structural component.
There are also steel grate decks, and I've seen those with a coat of asphalt (it sinks in and you end up with a composite steel-asphalt surface). Finally, you have "plastic timber" decks starting to pop up, and composites will form an ever-increasing component of future structures. Between steel, concrete, wood, and composites, every bridge has at least one of the four. (And concrete for bridges always has steel inside.)

Mergingtraffic

has anybody asked for signing plans from the NY DOT that are currently under construction?  I'm talking about plans where the documents are no longer available on the letting page. 

There are some "spot sign" replacements at 70 locations around the NYC and am curious to see where.

It seems new signs are popping up on the FDR Drive weekly. 

I use the contact us page at the bottom of the specific project page, but never get a response.  I think it's a public information officer anyway.  Does anyone ever contact specific engineers?  (That's a good thing about CTDOT, they always seem willing to share their knowledge and documents.)
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Buffaboy

Quote from: Alps on April 15, 2015, 12:25:49 AM
Quote from: Big John on April 14, 2015, 10:25:40 PM
There are also steel grate decks, and I've seen those with a coat of asphalt (it sinks in and you end up with a composite steel-asphalt surface). Finally, you have "plastic timber" decks starting to pop up, and composites will form an ever-increasing component of future structures. Between steel, concrete, wood, and composites, every bridge has at least one of the four. (And concrete for bridges always has steel inside.)

That's interesting. New materials like nanotubes are being implemented in a lot of different structures for strength, and because of the way snow corrodes bridges maybe that can be modified into a solution.

cl94

I'm down in Orange County right now and Region 8's highways are in miserable shape, as is the Palisades. 9W north of Highland Falls and the Parkway have some potholes that could swallow a small car. Any timeline as to when they'll get around to patching or a mill and fill?

route17fan

Also, any update on what the designation is or will be for the old US 219 alignment from NY 39-Springville to Peters Road?
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

cl94

Quote from: route17fan on April 20, 2015, 05:16:22 PM
Also, any update on what the designation is or will be for the old US 219 alignment from NY 39-Springville to Peters Road?

It has a CH designation on both sides, but no signed designation as of now (unless I'm missing something). Probably isn't worth even making a CR designation. Erie County doesn't post CRs and the Cattaraugus County segment is quite short.

route17fan

gotcha - makes sense - I was just curious. :)
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

vdeane

Plus the counties do NOT want that bridge.  They are fighting Region 5 at ever turn on that.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on April 20, 2015, 09:16:21 PM
Plus the counties do NOT want that bridge.  They are fighting Region 5 at ever turn on that.

Erie County might have the money to maintain it if they didn't maintain every flipping road south of US 20A or in the eastern border towns

Mergingtraffic

Does anyone know why the ramp from the HRD NB to E. 125th st (Exit 19) is closed? 

and what are they doing on the Deegan Expwy up by Yankee Stadium?  Looks like there's room for another lane there.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.