News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

when was prismatic high-intensity sheeting invented?

Started by agentsteel53, April 14, 2010, 09:11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

I thought it was early (March?) 2006 but I've heard that Missouri was using it earlier than that.

the first time I ever personally saw it was July 2006 in Denver, and the sign shop I work with first got it in August 2006.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Scott5114

The image that's questioning Jake's faith:

Naturally it has no EXIF data. This type of signage was installed after Amendment 3 passed, which seems like it was before March 2006.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I don't know when prismatic high-intensity sheeting was invented (one would probably have to look up the patent for that information), but the question is really about widespread commercial availability.  My guess is that MoDOT at least started using it in 2003 or before because I saw it (or at any rate replacement sheeting that looks like it) on Kansas City Interstates when I visited in that year.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.