News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

VMS Locations

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 15, 2010, 09:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

Say what you want about CT roads, one thing they are great with is traffic cams and VMS signs.  There are always a new one popping up.

However, on I-84 in Danbury, new VMSes have been installed at Exit 10, Exit 7 & Exit 5 westbound.  But they are located just beyond the off-ramp gore or after the on ramp for the exits.
Why!?!?!? 

Shouldn't they be placed BEFORE the exits so in case there is a problem you can get off in time.
The only good thing is that between extis 7 & 5 is a short distance and you can use exit 6.

Eastbound, it's the same thing, they are posted after the on ramps, if it were before the exit entirely the signs could be more useful.

Also, there was a new one installed by Exit 18 Eb and someone climbed up the gantry and spraypainted over the back of it.  Idiots.  At least they didn't do the front, the sign is maybe 2 years old if that.
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

VMS can be installed after exits to give entering traffic information on conditions ahead, but yes, they ought to be 1/2 to 1 mile before exits.  All I can imagine is the one after Exit 10 is intended to take you to exit 9, etc.

Michael

I-690 in Syracuse has one just after the Hiawatha Boulevard exit.  The exit ramp can be seen in the background of this Street View image.

roadfro

There's a couple best practice guidelines out there about VMS signs and locations.  Generally speaking, they should be located between interchanges and well in advance of the exit ramp for major interchanges.  For a freeway system with a high emphasis on ITS infrastructure (ramp meters, VMSs, real-time travel time displays, etc.), I believe the optimum spacing for VMSs is about 2-3 miles apart.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.