News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The original roadgeek

Started by MNHighwayMan, May 06, 2019, 01:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNHighwayMan

Is the guy pictured in these photos the original roadgeek?

webny99

If so, does that mean all roadgeeks descended from him?

Max Rockatansky

I'd imagine going out and exploring roadways post WWII was actually pretty exciting. The signage was certainly far more ornate and interesting. 

Bruce

Whoever first mapped out the Roman road network would probably qualify as an early roadgeek.

thspfc

froggie

Though rare, those embossed Vermont "Legal Load Limit" signs still exist if you know where to look...

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 06, 2019, 04:42:43 PM
Whoever first mapped out the Roman road network would probably qualify as an early roadgeek.

I think it's safe to assume that anyone (in ancient times) who took the time to map their city is probably a roadgeek, considering how god-awful difficult it would be without aerial views.

SoCal Kid

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 07:06:31 PM

I think it's safe to assume that anyone (in ancient times) who took the time to map their city is probably a roadgeek, considering how god-awful difficult it would be without aerial views.
I agree. Someone back then who was willing to map without Google or any map (or wasn't able to space lol) whatsoever should be considered an early roadgeek.
Are spurs of spurs of spurs of loops of spurs of loops a thing? ;)

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

usends

When looking at that photo set as a whole, one realizes there's no more than one photo from each state, so I'm pretty certain he was documenting his first visit to each state.  The states that don't show up are all in the southern and western parts of the country, so presumably he was from somewhere in the northeast.  I've compiled them all into a short video, which is posted on this page.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

ClassicHasClass

kphoger

Quote from: SoCal Kid on May 06, 2019, 07:18:44 PM

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 07:06:31 PM

I agree. Someone back then who was willing to map without Google or any map (or wasn't able to space lol) whatsoever should be considered an early roadgeek.

Wow...  You guys do know that the world existed before Google, right?  The oldest known city map (Sumerian) is 3500 years old. 
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.