News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tropical cyclone tracking thread

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, May 07, 2015, 11:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 01, 2018, 09:32:08 PM
Walaka is now a Cat 5. The 2nd or 3rd in tue Central Pacific this year and still poised to strengthen.

LG-TP260
And Kong-Rey at the same time in the WPAC!
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 01, 2018, 05:41:31 PM
Just 'a typhoon'? That typhoon has (or had, as it has become extratropical or 'post-tropical' as the NHC likes to say) a name: Trami. However in the Philippines they somehow don't recognize these names and instead use their own scheme, under which Trami was known as Paeng.

We have now reached the end of the Hawaiian list 36 years after it was established with hurricane Walaka. The next name to be used in the so-called Central Pacific is Akoni, which was the inaugural name in 1982.

JMA doesn't use typhoon names for local warnings, just their numbers (in Japan, Trami was just "Typhoon #24" or "Typhoon 1824"). They only started naming them for international warnings in 2000 when they took over that responsibility from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center since the JTWC isn't actually the official RSMC for the basin and the WMO Typhoon Committee decided that only they should assign the international names.

I personally cannot stand PAGASA's policy of naming storms in their "area of responsibility" (because it can be confusing...and honestly I can't stand a lot of things PAGASA does because they don't do a good job of informing people about pretty much anything), but they've done it since 1963, so it's whatever, I guess. PAGASA does recognize the international names, though, and they do use them in their warnings.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 02, 2018, 09:52:33 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 01, 2018, 09:32:08 PM
Walaka is now a Cat 5. The 2nd or 3rd in tue Central Pacific this year and still poised to strengthen.

LG-TP260
And Kong-Rey at the same time in the WPAC!
1st time 2 systems have been at Category 5 strength at the same time since 1998, when Cyclones Susan and Ron were both Cat 5's.

Hurricane Rex

Michael has formed, and it is already 2 days ahead of schedule in strength for what the models predicted it would be. Current prediction from NHC at 5 on EDT was a Cat 2 hurricane. I don't think that is enough given the rapid uptick and more favorable environment. Currently I would call for a 125 mph Cat 3.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Michael forms in the Carribean. Already a 60 mph tropical storm. Forecast calls for 100 mph peak, which seems extremely low.

Interstate 69 Fan

The 2018 EPAC hurricane season is now the 2nd most active on record beating 2015.

Beltway

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on October 07, 2018, 09:39:44 PM
Michael forms in the Carribean. Already a 60 mph tropical storm. Forecast calls for 100 mph peak, which seems extremely low.

Seems rather high for this time of the year.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

US 89

Quote from: Beltway on October 07, 2018, 11:20:31 PM

Uhh, there have been a lot of strong October hurricanes. Just in the past 5 years, we've had Matthew, Nicole, Joaquin, and Gonzalo all reach category 4 or greater status in October.

kevinb1994

Quote from: US 89 on October 07, 2018, 11:32:49 PM

Uhh, there have been a lot of strong October hurricanes. Just in the past 5 years, we've had Matthew, Nicole, Joaquin, and Gonzalo all reach category 4 or greater status in October.

And of course, Sandy in 2012.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kevinb1994 on October 07, 2018, 11:43:08 PM

Sandy was barely a Cat 3 before its Cuba landfall, and didn't even make landfall as a tropical system in the US.

Lets add Cat 3s in October or November: Otto (November), Ophelia.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

I mentioned this in the Tropical Cyclone tracking thread, but I personally think Michael will make landfall as a 125 mph Cat 3 (peak strength). Given the rate of intensity, it could be raised.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

paulthemapguy

74 mph is the minimum wind speed to be dubbed a hurricane.

The Weather Channel is citing sources saying that Michael will be around 100mph when it makes landfall near Apalachicola, FL.  So that would be a category 2 storm.  They were saying this morning (Sunday) that it would be a category 1, but more recent forecasts are anticipating further strengthening.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Beltway

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 12:39:18 AM
I mentioned this in the Tropical Cyclone tracking thread, but I personally think Michael will make landfall as a 125 mph Cat 3 (peak strength). Given the rate of intensity, it could be raised.

Why do you always hope for the worst?

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Beltway on October 08, 2018, 01:08:40 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 12:39:18 AM

It's not that I hope for the worst, in fact I did mention that Florence would weaken before landfall to a Cat 2 (ended up being a cat 1), despite . Models have not been super great with strength and don't often underestimate rapid intensification rates. The environment in about 36 hours to landfall appears to be conductive for rapid intensification according to forcasts.

Harvey was only predicted to be a cat 1 at landfall 3 days before and it ended up being a Cat 4, and the environment has similarities to each other.

Katrina was another example as NHC had it as a Cat 2 (I could be wrong here because I only looked at the graphic) (but it did weaken after peaking).

Shall I continue the list more that happened like I'm predicting?

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Beltway

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 04:04:33 AM
It's not that I hope for the worst, in fact I did mention that Florence would weaken before landfall to a Cat 2 (ended up being a cat 1), despite . Models have not been super great with strength and don't often underestimate rapid intensification rates. The environment in about 36 hours to landfall appears to be conductive for rapid intensification according to forcasts.
Harvey was only predicted to be a cat 1 at landfall 3 days before and it ended up being a Cat 4, and the environment has similarities to each other.
Katrina was another example as NHC had it as a Cat 2 (I could be wrong here because I only looked at the graphic) (but it did weaken after peaking).

Your profile says you live in Oregon and are 18 years old.  You can safely be excited about the subject of hurricanes.  I live in the area where we are looking down the barrel of these things.  I have personally lived thru two hurricanes and three tropical storms.  They are not an abstract subject.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

formulanone

Quote from: Beltway on October 08, 2018, 06:36:54 AM

Your profile says you live in Oregon and are 18 years old.  You can safely be excited about the subject of hurricanes.  I live in the area where we are looking down the barrel of these things.  I have personally lived thru two hurricanes and three tropical storms.  They are not an abstract subject.

Beltway, I think you're reading into things and then changing the reason for your argument isn't necessary. Yes, hurricanes suck and blow and create havoc, disruption, and loss of life.

(And as a former Floridian, I've been through many more swirly-gigs than that.)

Beltway

Quote from: formulanone on October 08, 2018, 07:10:51 AM
Beltway, I think you're reading into things and then changing the reason for your argument isn't necessary. Yes, hurricanes suck and blow and create havoc, disruption, and loss of life.
(And as a former Floridian, I've been through many more swirly-gigs than that.)

That is where I grew up and experienced the two hurricanes.  I was young and there were probably a few tropical storms that I was not aware of.  The three tropical storms above were in Virginia and we are very much in the path of potential damage from these storms.  That tally doesn't include severe flooding in Richmond and Alexandria caused by tropical storm remnants in the western part of the state.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 12:37:07 AM

Sandy was barely a Cat 3 before its Cuba landfall, and didn't even make landfall as a tropical system in the US.

What the hell are you talking about? Sandy made landfall in NJ with 80 mph winds. Even if you want to dispute that, it still made landfall as a very strong tropical storm, and caused nearly $70 Billion in damage, mostly in the NJ/NY region.

Didn't make landfall as a tropical system my ass. I'd like to know where you got your info about that.

Beltway

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 08, 2018, 07:44:17 AM
What the hell are you talking about? Sandy made landfall in NJ with 80 mph winds. Even if you want to dispute that, it still made landfall as a very strong tropical storm, and caused nearly $70 Billion in damage, mostly in the NJ/NY region.
Didn't make landfall as a tropical system my ass. I'd like to know where you got your info about that.

I think that he was technically referring to the fact that it was no longer a tropical storm, that as it moved north that it had transitioned to being an extra tropical cyclone.  That is true and they get their heat from substantially different processes, however the effect on the ground is about the same for either -- bad.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

kalvado

Sandy made landfall as an extratropical system.
Billions of damage have little to do with the structure of the storm and more to the trend of building into risky areas, as far as I understand.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kalvado on October 08, 2018, 08:16:03 AM

Sandy made landfall as an extratropical system.
Billions of damage have little to do with the structure of the storm and more to the trend of building into risky areas, as far as I understand.

I may have misinfered about what was being said here, I thought it was about the strength of the storm, not the damage. If it is damage, than of course Sandy would be the king in this month.

About the tropical/extratropical landfall: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2012/al18/al182012.update.10292255.shtml?  That is my source. You are right though about the 80 mph winds at landfall.

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Hurricane Rex

Considering I'm studying this subject in college, you could say I like this, but that being said, as I have explained, I am only making predictions here. Yes I tend to go aggressive when rapid intensification chances exist, and Isaac admittingly I went way too agressive on. I did not say you all deserve this, that I enjoy watching damage happen, or that it is an abstract subject. In fact I believe the opposite.

This has come across as a personal attack to me. While I did not report to the moderators this time, I will if this continues to escalate. I don't mind you disagreeing with anything I say, but saying that it is an abstract subject came across as saying that I wish for the most extreme storm possible to deal as much damage as possible and take as many lives as possible.

Running till I die.

Interstate 69 Fan

Sandy wasn’t even tropical anymore when it made landfall.

And Yes, Sandy formed in the carribean and made landfall on not only Cuba and the US, but Jamaica as well.

Beltway

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 01:18:34 PM
Considering I'm studying this subject in college, you could say I like this, but that being said, as I have explained, I am only making predictions here. Yes I tend to go aggressive when rapid intensification chances exist, and Isaac admittingly I went way too agressive on. I did not say you all deserve this, that I enjoy watching damage happen, or that it is an abstract subject. In fact I believe the opposite.
This has come across as a personal attack to me. While I did not report to the moderators this time, I will if this continues to escalate. I don't mind you disagreeing with anything I say, but saying that it is an abstract subject came across as saying that I wish for the most extreme storm possible to deal as much damage as possible and take as many lives as possible.

There was no personal attack meant or tendered.  Let's just say that it is a sensitive subject given the number of such storms that I have suffered thru, including severe after effects of others that didn't come thru my area.  I forgot to mention Gaston of 2004, almost no winds when it got here but dumped catastrophic amounts of rain that caused severe flooding.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Beltway on October 08, 2018, 03:55:53 PM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on October 08, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

There was no personal attack meant or tendered.  Let's just say that it is a sensitive subject given the number of such storms that I have suffered thru, including severe after effects of others that didn't come thru my area.  I forgot to mention Gaston of 2004, almost no winds when it got here but dumped catastrophic amounts of rain that caused severe flooding.
Thank you for clarifying. To all who have had to deal with sever weatjer events, I'm sorry you've had to go through with that experience.

Keep Michael victims and future victims in your prayers (if you are religious).

LG-TP260

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.