News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

No Firearms in Mexico- Penalty Prison Signs at TX Border Entries

Started by roadman65, February 20, 2012, 06:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Who is the actual installer of the large over head black on white signs on all roads leading to Rio Grande Crossings from Texas into Mexico that inform travelers of what happens if any of think of bringing a gun across the border.  If you go to street view on the Pharr- Reynoso International Bridge you will see the sign at the last place the google care could get without compromising national security.  It is on a gantry with a large red WARNING  followed by capital lettering NO FIREARMS IN MEXICO PENALTY-PRISON.  Then in fine print "Mexican Law" at the bottom.

Is this our government, their government, or TexDOT?   I do not see anyway what good the sign does as whoever would bring a gun into Mexico will do it regardless!  I do not think any of us would want a firearm on our vacation.   I find it hard that someone would go through the trouble of alerting us unless its Mexican officials.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

a lot of Texas residents do carry firearms as part of their daily routine - and maybe they do need a reminder that in Mexico they would get into an extraordinary amount of trouble.  Having as much as a single cartridge in the car might yield a prison sentence!

this is in opposition to US interstate regulations, which Texans have likely done their due diligence on, and amount to such things as "please store firearms and ammunition separately in locked boxes in the trunk when crossing into Louisiana, under penalty of a moderate fine".

so I think it is TxDOT which has furnished the signs.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2012, 06:23:50 PM
Who is the actual installer of the large over head black on white signs on all roads leading to Rio Grande Crossings from Texas into Mexico that inform travelers of what happens if any of think of bringing a gun across the border.  If you go to street view on the Pharr- Reynoso International Bridge you will see the sign at the last place the google care could get without compromising national security.  It is on a gantry with a large red WARNING  followed by capital lettering NO FIREARMS IN MEXICO PENALTY-PRISON.  Then in fine print "Mexican Law" at the bottom.

Is this our government, their government, or TexDOT?   I do not see anyway what good the sign does as whoever would bring a gun into Mexico will do it regardless!  I do not think any of us would want a firearm on our vacation.   I find it hard that someone would go through the trouble of alerting us unless its Mexican officials.
California and New Mexico provide similar signage.  They are consistent with signage used in those specific states, i.e. wording and format a little different from the Texas signage.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

Yes, these signs are furnished by TxDOT--I have them in my collection of TxDOT sign design sheets.  I don't remember ever seeing them in Standard Highway Sign Designs for Texas, however; I think the basic design gets passed on informally from one TxDOT border district to another.  I don't think Arizona DOT has a standard no-firearms-in-Mexico sign in its Manual of Approved Signs either; the ones I have found in signing plans are all treated as designable signs.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 20, 2012, 06:34:07 PMHaving as much as a single cartridge in the car might yield a prison sentence!

Spent brass will get you in trouble.  And if the caliber is bigger than the ammo they issue to the Mexican army, oh my.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

mgk920

Doesn't seem to be slowing down the drug gangs much, though.

:nod:

Mike

oscar

Quote from: roadman65 on February 20, 2012, 06:23:50 PM
Occasionally, U.S. military personnel get into mucho trouble when they cross the border with handguns.  (Mexican law has an exemption for military personnel, but only for Mexico's military.)  They're among the people who need to be reminded of Mexico's gun laws. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ClarkE

vdeane

Quote from: mgk920 on February 20, 2012, 08:50:09 PM

Mike
Of course.  If you make guns illegal, then only criminals will have guns.  I wonder what will happen when gun control advocates (and others) will realize that you can't get rid of black markets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: deanej on February 27, 2012, 11:32:47 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 20, 2012, 08:50:09 PM

Mike
Of course.  If you make guns illegal, then only criminals will have guns.  I wonder what will happen when gun control advocates (and others) will realize that you can't get rid of black markets.

Shoot all the gun owners.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 20, 2012, 07:08:04 PM
Yes, these signs are furnished by TxDOT--I have them in my collection of TxDOT sign design sheets.  I don't remember ever seeing them in Standard Highway Sign Designs for Texas, however; I think the basic design gets passed on informally from one TxDOT border district to another.  I don't think Arizona DOT has a standard no-firearms-in-Mexico sign in its Manual of Approved Signs either; the ones I have found in signing plans are all treated as designable signs.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 20, 2012, 06:34:07 PMHaving as much as a single cartridge in the car might yield a prison sentence!

Spent brass will get you in trouble.  And if the caliber is bigger than the ammo they issue to the Mexican army, oh my.

Yes, my buddy Adam had to spend quite a bit of time cleaning out his pickup last year, as he was our other driver that year.  When you tell someone, 'a single bullet found in your vehicle is grounds to have the vehicle confiscated', they tend to go over their vehicle with a fine-toothed comb.  And, since he has firearm bumper stickers on his pickup, I imagine the officials might take a closer look than usual at his vehicle.  Good thing he cleaned it out, too:  it was searched twice between the river bridge and the customs parking lot–once by the Mexican army and once due to the red-light-green-light thing under the canopy.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.