News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Best Interchange Designs

Started by webny99, April 19, 2021, 12:05:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What would you nominate for the best interchange design?

For freeway-freeway, I think this one is the best from both a visual and a functional standpoint: I-205 and WA 14 near Vancouver, WA.
For freeway-surface street, I prefer classic Ontario-style, as it combines the best of a diamond and a full cloverleaf.

1995hoo

I have always liked I-395 and King Street in Alexandria, Virginia, because of how it nicely and cleanly eliminates the weave-area problem that is a central issue with a standard cloverleaf. Yes, it requires two additional overpasses, but overall those are a minor addition when compared to flyover ramps or similar. Compare, for instance, to the much-longer flyover ramp at nearby I-395 and Duke Street–also, that interchange was recently modified to remove a loop ramp from the southwest corner (where the Days Inn is on the map) so as to eliminate the resulting weave area on I-395, but the downside of this modification is that Duke Street now has a new traffic light because traffic that previously used the now-deleted loop ramp must turn left onto Duke Street. The King Street interchange is, in my opinion, a cleaner way to solve the problem.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MCRoads

I nominate this interchange for its sheer compactness. It is a semi-directional T interchange that has been folded in on itself.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2021, 12:32:03 PM
I have always liked I-395 and King Street in Alexandria, Virginia, because of how it nicely and cleanly eliminates the weave-area problem that is a central issue with a standard cloverleaf.

Interesting. I like that a lot and wonder why that design isn't used more given that the ROW is very similar to a standard cloverleaf.

tradephoric

My favorite vs. least favorite freeway-surface street interchange.  MDOT selected the DDI at the recently reconstructed I-75 / Big Beaver interchange:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v1QPaYISFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWqbslCChU

MCRoads

Quote from: tradephoric on April 19, 2021, 05:51:20 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v1QPaYISFA

I designed something very similar to this here. Sadly, I bet that this type of design will never be used, as other alternatives have already been built, and proven. But, I guess it would only take one being built to start a trend...
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

more room plz

Henry

It is often copied but never duplicated: The Jane M. Byrne Interchange in Chicago (where the Dan Ryan, Kennedy and Eisenhower Expressways plus Congress Parkway meet)

As a native Chicagoan, it'll always be the Circle Interchange to me.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

MinecraftNinja

I-93/US 1 and I-90/route 1A in Boston.

OCGuy81

Quote from: webny99 on April 19, 2021, 12:05:07 PM
What would you nominate for the best interchange design?

For freeway-freeway, I think this one is the best from both a visual and a functional standpoint: I-205 and WA 14 near Vancouver, WA.
For freeway-surface street, I prefer classic Ontario-style, as it combines the best of a diamond and a full cloverleaf.

That one in Vancouver, WA is certainly unique in its design, I like it as well.

I'd say the Houston area has some nice ones. Most of the stacks along Beltway 8 are impressive, if just for their size.

webny99

I'm actually not a fan of huge four- and five-level stacks. Sure, they're impressive, and there are no issues from a functional standpoint, but they're also not very creative. Take this, for example. What's special about this interchange? It looks like generic big-city infrastructure that really could be in any big, flat city. I prefer designs with a bit more creativity, possibly some terrain, some nice views, and incorporation of local elements.

MCRoads

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 09:55:45 AM
I'm actually not a fan of huge four- and five-level stacks. Sure, they're impressive, and there are no issues from a functional standpoint, but they're also not very creative. Take this, for example. What's special about this interchange? It looks like generic big-city infrastructure that really could be in any big, flat city. I prefer designs with a bit more creativity, possibly some terrain, some nice views, and incorporation of local elements.
Ah, so you would like Albuquerque. I've always lived that interchange. Great execution of that design, too.
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

ztonyg

Quote from: MCRoads on April 21, 2021, 10:03:45 AM
Ah, so you would like Albuquerque. I've always lived that interchange. Great execution of that design, too.

I like the "Big-I". Interestingly enough the "Big I" used to be a clone of this interchange https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kansas+City,+KS/@39.1042401,-94.679525,1002m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x87c08ce427cf3515:0xdc77777b70c31e05!8m2!3d39.1155314!4d-94.6267873, only rotated 90 degrees.

I also like this interchange that I use regularly: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4358366,-111.8918471,16.25z, It's a nice turbine-stack hybrid that is functional and moves a lot of traffic.

ari-s-drives

I'm not sure how creative it is, but the interchange between I-5 and CA 52/La Jolla Pkwy certainly has views and is literally built into the side of a canyon.

webny99

I sense sarcasm. No denying the great views from the top levels, but I stand by my point that it's not a very creative design.

Quote from: ztonyg on April 21, 2021, 11:24:43 AM
I like the "Big-I". Interestingly enough the "Big I" used to be a clone of I-70/I-635, only rotated 90 degrees.

Does "Big-I" refer to I-25/I-40?

As for your Kansas City example (I fixed the link for you to remove the scroll bar), Rochester has a very similar interchange between 390 and I-490, currently under partial re-construction.

webny99

Quote from: ari-s-drives on April 21, 2021, 11:23:34 AM
[img snipped]

I thought that the Watertown Plank Rd interchange with I-41 was a creative way to build a free-flowing arterial-interstate interchange.

That's cool-looking, and takes less ROW in the top left and bottom right quadrants, but it also has two (or four, depending on how you count) extra overpasses. Overall, I like it, but am not sold on it being easily replicable elsewhere.

Quote from: ari-s-drives on April 21, 2021, 11:28:42 AM
I'm not sure how creative it is, but the interchange between I-5 and CA 52/La Jolla Pkwy certainly has views and is literally built into the side of a canyon.

Yeah, that does have great views, and is unique because of the two missing ramps and the 90 degree turn on LaJolla Pkwy. I'm in!

sprjus4

While it mainly is a generic interchange, I'll agree with you there, it is sort of unique in the sense of dealing with the US-290 split off of I-610 a mile north of I-10, and having a split roadway for US-290 traffic bound directly to I-10 without having to touch the I-610 mainline.

But that's about it.

kphoger

One of the ugliest stacks has to be I-37/I-410.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 12:09:57 PM

I sense sarcasm. No denying the great views from the top levels, but I stand by my point that it's not a very creative design.

Quote from: ztonyg on April 21, 2021, 11:24:43 AM
I like the "Big-I". Interestingly enough the "Big I" used to be a clone of I-70/I-635, only rotated 90 degrees.

Yes.

And the Big I incorporates a bunch of things you just mentioned. Nice views? Sandias to the east - check. Local elements? Check out the color scheme on the bridges. Creativity? Take a look at the landscaping.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on April 21, 2021, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2021, 12:09:57 PM

Yes.

And the Big I incorporates a bunch of things you just mentioned. Nice views? Sandias to the east - check. Local elements? Check out the color scheme on the bridges. Creativity? Take a look at the landscaping.

Right, so it's not exactly "generic big-city infrastructure that really could be in any big, flat city". That sets it apart from most other stack interchanges.

ztonyg

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 12:38:11 PM

That's hideous. That's significantly uglier than my vote: I-75/I-696

MCRoads

Quote from: ztonyg on April 21, 2021, 03:41:01 PM

Might have a stack that's uglier: the Ghost Stack on I-84 near Hartford. They did not give 2 craps about aesthetics while designing this...
Interstates traveled:

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on April 21, 2021, 04:35:41 PM

Quote from: ztonyg on April 21, 2021, 03:41:01 PM

Might have a stack that's uglier: the Ghost Stack on I-84 near Hartford. They did not give 2 craps about aesthetics while designing this...

Had to look up what that referred to.  Definitely a contender.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 21, 2021, 04:39:12 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on April 21, 2021, 04:35:41 PM
the Ghost Stack on I-84 near Hartford. They did not give 2 craps about aesthetics while designing this...

Had to look up what that referred to.  Definitely a contender.

Even worse: the second level and one of the forks on the fourth level are stubs. Compare satellite view with regular view.

CoreySamson

I have a couple ones I really like:

Generally, I like stacks (even if they can get a little boring), DDIs, and volleyball interchanges.

I like this cloverleaf in NOLA for it's lack of weaving on the arterial:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9974594,-90.1542972,869m/data=!3m1!1e3

I also like the I-96/US 131 intersection in Grand Rapids:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.973197,-85.6785569,1019m/data=!3m1!1e3
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.